Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:21   #1
Taurus851

Glock 30 for CCW

Hey everyone, I need some advice about the g30 and CCW.

I currently carry a snubby as my EDC that measures slightly wider than than the g30 at about 1.318''

I don't find my snub to be uncomfortable at all either IWB or OWB and am wondering how much more difficult/uncomfortable will it be to carry a g30 that is technically slimmer than the snub.

Any opinions or advice about carry the g30 IWB and OWB? Or should I just look into a g36?

Thanks in advance.
Taurus851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25   #2
Texcowboy

My G30 is my CCW when I can wear a jacket or vest in cooler weather, eith IWB or OWB. For the summer heat here in Texas it is much easier to conceal my G36 in a DeSantis Insider carried in the appendix position with an untucked T Shirt. The G36 is only very slightly larger than my G26 or G33 and is just as concealable.

And, Welcome to Glock Talk !

NRA Life Member

G20SF, G29SF, G32 GEN 4, G33, G21SF RTF2, G30SF, G36, G19

Last edited by Texcowboy; 07-11-2011 at 09:26..
Texcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

I have a G30SF... haven't tried carrying it as I have a G26 for that.

I do prefer the .45ACP, my plan is to get a G36 and carry that. I love the G30SF, I shoot it in GSSF competitions right now and probably won't get rid of it, but don't think I'd personally carry it.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41   #4
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

edc is a g30 - owb

I find the 30 to conceal very well. Summer in Tx is pretty hot - Typically I wear x-large t-shirts, shorts, and my new balances. No issues at 5'9" 175lbs.

With that being said - you have to put some thought into your clothing for the day. No tight tank tops or tight muscle shirts. A good gun belt and holster.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45   #5
FLSlim

I probably carry a G30 more than any other weapon. It is a bit chunky and heavy (when fully loaded), but good holster, good belt, no problem. I actually like an OWB better for the G30, although I use IWB, too. My favorite OWB is a Hume 721OT; it carries high and keeps the Glock close (at about 4 o'clock), and it is relatively inexpensive in the world of leather holsters. IWB is a CBST. Lastly, what isn't to like about 10+1 rounds of 230 gr. 45 acp.....
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48   #6
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I guess a lot will depend on which snubby you carry. If it's an air weight J Frame, it's going to be noticeable. I EDC my G30 frequently, shorts and tshirt not a problem. As mentioned, dressing properly will make a big difference.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51   #7
Taurus851

wow thanks for all the opinions and info!

i should have mentioned that I carry at the appendix position IWB. the snubby doesn't have any problem concealing IWB and am hoping the 30 won't either.

even though the cylinder on the snubbie is wider than any part of the g30, the g30 probably has more bulk in the grip, making it bulkier overall. i've handled the g30 before, but have never been able to try and carry one IWB.

i just don't want to regret not being able to conceal the g30 well enough to not have it as my EDC.

if anyone could compare carrying the g30 to a snubby IWB that would be great. weight wise, i know the g30 will be significantly heavier but i'm talking more about the printing issues and comfort issues that the bulkiness may cause
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51   #8
Taurus851

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
I guess a lot will depend on which snubby you carry. If it's an air weight J Frame, it's going to be noticeable. I EDC my G30 frequently, shorts and tshirt not a problem. As mentioned, dressing properly will make a big difference.

its a full stainless snubbie that weighs 25 oz unloaded.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20   #9
Beanie-Bean

Taurus851,

You may want to get a 9-round magazine for the G30. I have a G30SF, and it's just about as big as my G19/G23 pistols with the 10-round magazine that comes stock.

For AIWB, you may want to try the Comp-Tac MTAC with no cant on the holster. They are nice, because of the leather they add on the back to cover the fasteners.

I've also been trying out the Remora holsters, which are this tacky/sticky outside with a kydex reinforcement inside to keep the shape. You can set them at whatever angle you need to be comfortable or to not print.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26   #10
Taurus851

why a 9 round mag?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30   #11
Beanie-Bean

Check out the baseplate on the G30SF:

Here it is in a Theis IWB horsehide holster:
Carry Issues

In the Remora holster to the left:
Carry Issues

Here is a good shot in the box:
Carry Issues

That thicker baseplate makes a difference, especially when you have the pistol sitting in there at an angle.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:33   #12
Taurus851

thanks beanie. so you carry your G30 every day w/out an issue?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34   #13
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

I have found clothing options that allow a G29/30 frame to be carried in a front pocket.

Certain "designer" khakis (primarily Polo, Hilfinger, Nautica) have front pockets large enough to comfortably hold a frame that size; I guess those manufacturers figure larger-than-usual pockets are a desirable marketing feature, and the CCW crowd can hitch a ride on that outlook. I use an inner holster, and installed Siderlock triggers on all my Glocks that go in that front pocket. This setup has solved ALL my concealed carry issues.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35   #14
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

I've been carrying a G30 since 2004 IWB.

Mostly, I use a Sidearmor (GT sponsor) IWB with belt loop attachments). The thing is indestructible.

If I have to dress up, I use my COMP-TAC C-TAC (I know, it's old) and it tucks well. Kind of a pain to get it just right, but once I do, it's very comfortable and makes the 30 disappear.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41   #15
Taurus851

it sounds as if the 30 isn't an issue to conceal as long as you have a good belt and don't wear form fitting clothing. i

s it uncomfortable to sit and maneuver carrying one in the appendix position?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47   #16
wacopolumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus851 View Post
why a 9 round mag?
The 9 round mag keeps the mag flush with the bottom of the grip rather than extending down below the grip. One variation I have carried and still do fairly often is a combo of a G30 and G36. After reading about it here, I tried it an like it. I put the G36 upper on my G30 lower and get a pistol that "feels/seems" more compact. You basically get the narrow slide and a double stack mag. One real advantage of this is that you can use holsters made for the 19/23/32 and it is a little narrower in a IWB holster. When I called Glock to make sure it is safe to do this they mentioned they will be releasing this very set-up. Here is how my G30/36 combo looks with a 9 round mag...nice and compact.

Carry Issues

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52   #17
Taurus851

thats a neat idea i've read about before. how much is a g36 slide?

also, when you say they will be releasing this very set up do you mean they are coming out with a new model that will be double stacked but slimmer? maybe i should hold out for that..
Old 07-11-2011, 11:08   #18
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
thanks beanie. so you carry your G30 every day w/out an issue?
That's not the only one I carry--I have a rotation going with all the "smaller" pistols due to the really hot weather. Plus, it keeps me interested in all of those guns, too. They all have different triggers, and I shoot the carry guns as much as any of the other ones I've got, just to make sure I'm proficient with them if there were ever a situation required to make use of them.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22   #19
wacopolumbo

Quote:
thats a neat idea i've read about before. how much is a g36 slide?

also, when you say they will be releasing this very set up do you mean they are coming out with a new model that will be double stacked but slimmer? maybe i should hold out for that..
Unfortuantely, you can't buy the G36 upper. Glockmeister does have G30 lowers (currently out of stock with an unknown in-stock date) though. I built mine by combineing my G30 and G36.

I don't know what the timeline will be with the "new" Glock. The guy I spoke with said "within a year." I know I will buy one when they come out. It only makes sense, slim upper on a double stack lower. Basically, it make the G30 profiel resemble the 9/40/357 guns ie, the slide is slimmer than the frame.

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25   #20
m51

I had a 30SF a couple of years ago and found it too thick for edc. I now carry a Walther PPS for summer and my trusty 26 for winter.