Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-11-2011, 14:31   #1
kueblerkt

.45 loads wont cycle update, chrono results

Went ahead and backed my case OAL down from 1.270 to 1.230 and loaded up some charges using Hodgon HS6 at 8.2, 8.4, 8.7, 9.0, (ten of each) and 9.3 (five rounds of this) grains of powder for a 230gr hornady XTP bullet.

Out of 45 total rounds fired, I had one get stuck as mentioned in the previous thread, and again had to have a friend work the slide while i held on to the gun to eject the round. I also had two rounds that would not go off because my gun failed to go all the way back in to battery. Any thoughts on this? Ive literally loaded thousands of .40 rounds with out one single malfunction, idk what my problem with .45 is.

Also here are my chronograph results:

10 rounds loaded with 8.2gr of HS6 produced the best standard deviation, at 14.3

Unless you count the 5 rounds I loaded up at 9.3 grains which produced a standard deviation of 4. After seeing this, I wish I had loaded up 5 more.

Here is my original thread for reference:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1353767
kueblerkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 15:14   #2
unclebob

Try 1.20.
If you get a round that will not extract I use the shooting bench ours are 2x6. But put the end of board up against the slide, on the side and next the barrel and push forward. Just be careful when you do that when it does release you do jam your hand into the board you are pushing on. Also donít have you finger on the trigger. You can also take two pieces of 2X4. Put the two pieces of the 2x4 on the bench and put the slide on either side of the 2X4 and push straight down.
GSSF Life Member
Old 07-11-2011, 17:59   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Try 1.20.If you get a round that will not extract I use the shooting bench ours are 2x6. But put the end of board up against the slide, on the side and next the barrel and push forward. Just be careful when you do that when it does release you do jam your hand into the board you are pushing on. Also donít have you finger on the trigger. You can also take two pieces of 2X4. Put the two pieces of the 2x4 on the bench and put the slide on either side of the 2X4 and push straight down.
I agree, you are still slightly long. Did you try a dummy round in the removed bbl? This will certainly save you time & money trying to find the right OAL. As always, OAL IS GUN & BULLET specific. So you have to match the bullet to your gun regardless of the OAL in the data. Then adjust your pwoder charge accordingly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 21:39   #4
kueblerkt

Ok, I can reduce the oal to 1.2

Any guess as to why I had two that failed to go into battery? Is that a gun problem or could that be a reload problem?

A friend also suggested that I could have limp wristed because I was worrying more about what number was going to show up on the chronograph and not worrying about my shooting form like I should have been. Is this a possibility?
kueblerkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 21:51   #5
unclebob

Until you take the barrel out of the gun and drop check everyone. You are only guessing what the problem could be.
GSSF Life Member
Old 07-11-2011, 22:33   #6
Glocklvr

Do you have any problem chambering factory ammo? If not, and I would bet you don't have a problem with factory ammo. Adjust your seating die using a factory round as your dummy round. also make sure you have a good taper crimp. You didn't ask but a standard load in the .45 is 5.5 grs of WW 231 and a 230gr rn . Good Luck
Glocklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 00:31   #7
noylj

COL of 1.272" works for me with the XTP, though I know a few folks load to 1.200".
Have you tried different magazines?
Does an inert "dummy" round feed OK when you pull back the slide and let it go?
You don't have a "shock buffer" installed, do you?
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 00:33   #8
noylj

Oh yeah, I forgot...
Have you marked up a dummy round on the bullet's ogive and around the case mouth, then insert into the barrel and rotate the dummy back and forth so there are scrape marks where the round is not chambering? This will very quickly tell if the problem is seating depth or case size problem.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 00:45   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
COL of 1.272" works for me with the XTP, though I know a few folks load to 1.200".
Have you tried different magazines?
Does an inert "dummy" round feed OK when you pull back the slide and let it go?
You don't have a "shock buffer" installed, do you?
I reload for 5 diff 45acp, none will take an XTP that long, some like my XD, much, much shorter.
Measureing a factory round is only valid if it contains a XTP bullet. Bullet shape is the issue affecting OAL here.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-12-2011 at 00:45..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21   #10
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Hornady loads their XTP to 1.210", which is why I picked that number, but their manual shows 1.230"
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote