GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 21:47   #1
raydobbs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minneapolis, MN or thereabouts...
Posts: 348
Send a message via ICQ to raydobbs Send a message via Yahoo to raydobbs
NRA folds over universal background checks?

http://news.yahoo.com/nra-changes-st...203702002.html

Did the NRA just fold like a cheap deck chair on registra....err....Universal Background Checks? Really?

Last edited by raydobbs; 02-05-2013 at 21:47.. Reason: Meant to make title a question, missed question mark.
raydobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:51   #2
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR
 
QNman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,532
Uh... No. Read it again. Read the whole thing. It states the NRA was OK with it in 1999, but has reverted to "background checks don't stop murderers from murdering".
__________________
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30   #3
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Yeah, you read it wrong. The article says the NRA used to support universal background checks, but now have changed their stance to NOT support.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21   #4
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!
 
jeanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,178
Here in Ohio, when I buy a gun, I fill out a form and the sales clerk calls up the state to run a backgroun check on me. My understanding is that this verifies I'm not a criminal and that my given address is correct.

How do "universal background checks" differ from this? Do other states just let you walk in and buy a gun with no questions asked and no forms to fill out?
__________________
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

Ted Nugent
jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44   #5
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR
 
QNman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Here in Ohio, when I buy a gun, I fill out a form and the sales clerk calls up the state to run a backgroun check on me. My understanding is that this verifies I'm not a criminal and that my given address is correct.

How do "universal background checks" differ from this? Do other states just let you walk in and buy a gun with no questions asked and no forms to fill out?
Right now, if you want to give your nephew his first rifle, or sell you AR to your neighbor, you do not need to visit an FFL and run a background check to make the transaction. Under the current proposal, anytime you transfer ownership of any gun to any person, you must run a background check. Never mind that 86% of all criminals use stolen weapons in the commission of a crime. Never mind too that many of the remaining 14% use strawman purchases (which are illegal).
__________________
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57   #6
domin8ss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Here in Ohio, when I buy a gun, I fill out a form and the sales clerk calls up the state to run a backgroun check on me. My understanding is that this verifies I'm not a criminal and that my given address is correct.

How do "universal background checks" differ from this? Do other states just let you walk in and buy a gun with no questions asked and no forms to fill out?
Yes. Utah and Virginia to name 2.
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02   #7
domin8ss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Right now, if you want to give your nephew his first rifle, or sell you AR to your neighbor, you do not need to visit an FFL and run a background check to make the transaction. Under the current proposal, anytime you transfer ownership of any gun to any person, you must run a background check. Never mind that 86% of all criminals use stolen weapons in the commission of a crime. Never mind too that many of the remaining 14% use strawman purchases (which are illegal).
There is a fine line between strawman purchases and gifting. Usually it involves legality, such as involvement of a crime.
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33   #8
plainsman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 697
Universal background checks =equals univeral registration!

Once again, the word of any anti-gunner has never been worth a pile of manure.

The BIG LIE from the old back ground check was that "they'd check you like a credit card, swipe it and poof! your free to go,and no keeping of the information that you were checked to create a backdoor gun registry." Bull snot, Gun Owners of America and other sources have stated that Government sources maintained that info, even in violation of the will of Congress.

Right now feinstein couldn't get every gun if she could kick in every door she wanted to. With universal background checks, every transaction, every time the gun transfers to another individual, feinstein will have a record.
Yesterday, Republican Eric Cantor said he wanted background checks to be linked to your mental health records like they did in Virginia. So now the plea bargaining nannie state wants some bureaucrat to invade your private medical records, in a anti-gun wack job, jihad!

Keep registering, the end is near then you think.

Last edited by plainsman; 02-06-2013 at 08:35.. Reason: spelling
plainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51   #9
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Their goal is to have a paper trail for every gun in existence. With Universal Background Checks, this could be accomplished in one generation. You may have no paper trail on some of your firearms right now, but when you die and pass them down to your descendant(s), they will be required to have a background check run for all your guns before they can take possession. Bam, paper trail and defacto registration.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03   #10
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper
 
Captain Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,309


Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
Yes. Utah and Virginia to name 2.

ONLY if you reside in that state, AND have a current CCW permit issued from that same state. You still must fill out the 4473. It's called the "Brady Bypass".
__________________
CHANGE
When the Winds of Change Blow Hard Enough, The Most Trivial of Things can turn into Deadly Weapons...
Americans grew tired of being thought to be dumb by the rest of the world,
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25   #11
Jack Wagon
Mr Wagon to you
 
Jack Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 31
Nice troll OP.
Jack Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29   #12
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,729
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Here in Ohio, when I buy a gun, I fill out a form and the sales clerk calls up the state to run a backgroun check on me. My understanding is that this verifies I'm not a criminal and that my given address is correct.

How do "universal background checks" differ from this? Do other states just let you walk in and buy a gun with no questions asked and no forms to fill out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
Yes. Utah and Virginia to name 2.
domin8ss, to what does your, "Yes," apply?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36   #13
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!
 
jeanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Right now, if you want to give your nephew his first rifle, or sell you AR to your neighbor, you do not need to visit an FFL and run a background check to make the transaction. Under the current proposal, anytime you transfer ownership of any gun to any person, you must run a background check. Never mind that 86% of all criminals use stolen weapons in the commission of a crime. Never mind too that many of the remaining 14% use strawman purchases (which are illegal).
I see now. Thanks for the clarification on that. And yes, I agree, this law will do nothing to hinder criminal activity with a gun.
__________________
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

Ted Nugent
jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07   #14
raydobbs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minneapolis, MN or thereabouts...
Posts: 348
Send a message via ICQ to raydobbs Send a message via Yahoo to raydobbs
Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wagon View Post
Nice troll OP.
Actually - trolling was not my intention. I had a really sucky day when I read this just before turning in, and misread it. Hence it was a question. I saw an article flash up on my phone, and I had to hunt it down since the ticker didn't repeat it.

I have, since, reread it - and realize they changed their position from 'some background checking ok, we guess' to 'no further checks, no way, no how' - again, at least as I have read it to mean.
raydobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15   #15
gunparts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Glad to hear they did not Change there views.
__________________
We sale gun Parts, http:gunpartauction.com
gunparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59   #16
SpringerTGO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
Yes. Utah and Virginia to name 2.
In Utah you have to fill out a form and the salesperson calls the department of public safety to make sure you aren't a criminal. If you have a CCW they don't charge for this.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40   #17
QNman
Silver Membership
resU deretsigeR
 
QNman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
There is a fine line between strawman purchases and gifting. Usually it involves legality, such as involvement of a crime.
The line isn't that fine... I would assume "gifting" a firearm isn't something you do for a) a complete stranger b) a known felon c) someone underage or d) for profit. Unless that's what you mean by "a crime".
__________________
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:24   #18
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,729
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8ss View Post
There is a fine line between strawman purchases and gifting. Usually it involves legality, such as involvement of a crime.
The crime is the strawman purchase.

The difference is intent. Receiving money from someone known to be a prohibited person and purchasing a firearm with it is a strawman purchase.

Receiving money from someone to make a firearm purchase on their behalf and stating on the 4473 that you are the actual buyer of the firearm when you are not, that is a strawman purchase.

Using your own money to buy a firearm which you intend to gift to a person not otherwise prohibited from owning and/or possessing a firearm is not a strawman purchase. Form 4473
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,093
322 Members
771 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42