Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33   #1
SpoiledBySig

Active shooter training yesterday

Yesterday, from 10AM until 10PM, I had to attend an, "Active Shooter Training" class. Very fun and I always learn something tactically new to consider . I love making dynamic entries into rooms (push & go, Pull & Hold with door entries, etc.). Sweated like a pig in this July humid heat, but I always loved this type of training. It's conducted by the Municipal Police Department and their SWAT team members.

I love this stuff and sometimes even when I think, "I'm really getting too old for it"..this type of training just motivates me. It's done every two(2) years, but I wish it was done at least twice in every year. Things always seem to evolve in this type of training also (changing/modifying tactics).

Do many here have that same related training, I mean ""Active shooter" type training?

Last edited by SpoiledBySig; 07-12-2011 at 10:36..
SpoiledBySig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54   #2
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I went to a 3 day instructor school for Active Shooter a little over 2 years ago, and you're right, things are constantly changing. It sort of frustrates me cuz the guy I turned the reins over to when I left my last department went thru the training a little less than a year ago, and they're preaching totally different things now (number of officers, no longer teaching Hall Boss, etc.), and he and I went to classes put on by the same police academy.

On the one hand, I like that these tactics are fluid and always changing, but on the other, I feel like a lot of the time they're just changing for the sake of change, rather than due to a better technique or tactic coming out. I also wish there was a "standard" program so that everyone who shows up knows what to expect from everyone else, although I realize that's neither practical nor a particularly good idea. Wishful thinking, I guess.

I'm glad you had a good time, were they using Sims or red guns or what? The Sims portion that I went thru was definitely a blast, but I like that sort of thing anyway.

You're right, they definitely need to hold it more often than bi-annually, but in this economy...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06   #3
SpoiledBySig

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post

I'm glad you had a good time, were they using Sims or red guns or what? The Sims portion that I went thru was definitely a blast, but I like that sort of thing anyway.

You're right, they definitely need to hold it more often than bi-annually, but in this economy...

We used Airsoft guns/pellets. We used to use Simunition (Sp?), but there were too many complaints of damage.

Yes, It's the economy.

Last edited by SpoiledBySig; 07-12-2011 at 11:07..
SpoiledBySig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 13:07   #4
FL-obiwan

We've been getting it in our quarterly quals (I'm a Fed) lately. It's good training. We've been using Simunitions. What concerns me mostly is that government at most levels is very reactive. They're ahead of the curve on this. The G-2 boys must be onto something.......

Caption on Avatar: "Jihad this!"
FL-obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 14:06   #5
bccop

On our 6 day carbine course we did a half day of IARD training. First part was a walk through with unloaded carbines (stealth and dynamic searching) and then ran through both using live fire. Apparently we'll get more training later on in the year using simunition with patrol members that are not carbine trained.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 07-12-2011 at 17:58..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:14   #6
COLOSHOOTR

I think the current tactics are way better then the old ones.... I've been trained in both the old bullet magnet diamond and the current IARD tactics based upon tactics used by and taught to our SWAT team by a certian Military unit (The guys that took care of Geronimo) who did training here. I'm not going to go into details about the tactics in an open forum but the techniques are very simple and effective. The best part is it does away with the blob of cops that leaves the team exposed. I do agree that there should be some standardized training because we use different tactics then neighboring agencies and I'm telling you I don't like the idea of entering with a guy that only knows the old bullet magnet garbage.

On the other hand you can't really make a "standard tactic" that works for every situation. All you can to is make sure everyone is standardized on the basics. Every location and situation is different and requires your tactics to be fluid and changing. What works at one location might put you at risk in another. The biggest downfall is the lack of regular training making it hard for people to adapt to certian situations. The more training you have at different locations the better you'll get at adapting to the situation. Thats jsut my two cents though.

-George Orwell-
COLOSHOOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:00   #7
SpoiledBySig

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOSHOOTR View Post

On the other hand you can't really make a "standard tactic" that works for every situation. All you can to is make sure everyone is standardized on the basics. Every location and situation is different and requires your tactics to be fluid and changing. What works at one location might put you at risk in another. The biggest downfall is the lack of regular training making it hard for people to adapt to certian situations. The more training you have at different locations the better you'll get at adapting to the situation. That's just my two cents though.
I sure can't disagree with that assessment COLOSHOOTER, all we can do is standardize the basics. I recognize that we shouldn't talk in depth about tactics and appreciate you bringing attention to that matter. Makes it even hard to discuss tactics and training in depth here.

Even if every officer did this 4 times a year, it wouldn't make them even close to SWAT experience. But, it does wonders for the mindset and the fact that if there is an active shooter(s) in progress, patrol can't wait for the SWAT team, they need to act.

Ever since they have been teaching (and changing) active shooter classes, they have always reminded us of Columbine and how the police waited such a long time for SWAT to respond (while the two idiots were still shooting people). That's the purpose.
Old 07-12-2011, 19:01   #8
Patchman
Florist

Given the historical trends of BG active shooters, it seems to me that it is now more important than ever that active shooter training must reach down more and more to the regular patrol cops (first responders) level. Plus, patrol meeds to have the tools necessary to have a reasonable chance of getting the job done successfully.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-12-2011 at 19:06..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote