SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03   #1
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Router Login Pop-up Problem

I have an older Netopia-3000 router. Recently, I have been getting a pop-up window asking for the router's username and password when trying to access internet sites. It doesn't happen all the time. Some site it will ask for the login info and then during a different attempt it will not. It's pretty frustrating because if I don't input the right info the router will report a login failure and not let me on the internet.

A little background, the router is at my church office and was set up about 5+ years ago by a fellow who no longer attends here. He left no documentation as to what the login info would be. The wireless networking part of the router is unsecured, so I'm assuming the pop-up is asking for the admin login.

I'm also puzzled as to why it would just now start asking for that info--even when I just want to access Google or Bing. It's frustrating to say the least.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:52   #2
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Update

I was able to reset the router to factory default. Now, instead of a pop-up window appearing when I try to access a web site, some aspect of the router's administration comes up such as the self test or firmware updater. It's really goofy. My router has taken over my computer. Not only mine, but my secretary reports the same problem through her wireless network connection.

Any ideas as to what's happening?

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
Old 07-12-2011, 22:11   #3
kc8ykd

a problem with the router of some sort. somethings probably gone wrong in it's firmware that's running or in the ram that it's somehow injecting parts of it's admin interface into regular web traffic.

i'd replace it since you reset it and it didn't fix itself.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 23:38   #4
srhoades

Those Netopia's are petty tricky to begin with. But I agree, sounds like the router needs to be deep-sixed. Keep in mind it is also a modem, so you will need to get another DSL modem. If in fact you have DSL.
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04   #5
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Those Netopia's are petty tricky to begin with. But I agree, sounds like the router needs to be deep-sixed. Keep in mind it is also a modem, so you will need to get another DSL modem. If in fact you have DSL.
Yeah, it's a DSL Modem/Router combo. I updated the firmware. Hopefully that will fix it. If not, I've got an unused modem and router I can use.