Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57   #1
A6Gator

Newark mandates small restaurants hire armed security

I couldn't find this previously posted and I wasn't sure where to put this article. I think there might be some better alternatives, but given that the 2A doesn't apply to NJ, my thoughts wouldn't work.

Prayers for the off-duty officer and his family.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/city...se-down-early/

Last edited by A6Gator; 07-13-2011 at 08:58..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26   #2
gommer

Small resteraunts are havens for criminal activity?

Seriously..... I mean. @$%#$

Sometimes you find something so stupid, there truly is nothing intelligent to say to it.

This reminds me of a young woman that contracted for a company I worked at. This girl was a doorstop. I know that's an ugly thing to say about a person - but she was. And manipulative to boot.

You could explain something in great detail and list facts and all kinds of references to back it up - and her response would be; "No it's not."

Followed by a blank stare that reminds me of the look on a Pug's face - where there's no thought going on at all behind the glazed look.

Nothing to back up her idea that "No it's not", no reasoning, no explanation - just; "No it's not."

gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55   #3
liberty addict

Newark (in general) is a crime hellhole, much like Chicago's south side (and for much the same reasons). The city's attempts at legislating law and order are laughable, as are the weapon bans of city and state there. Banning weapons only tells the lawless that it is now open season on everyone else year round. Why do they not get this???
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12   #4
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
They are in newark nj, as well as jersey city nj.
It's really sad to go into a Chinese place at 11pm & have bullet proof glass up & a rotating plate like in a bank to pay & then get your food.
They are broke & can't afford to pay cops so they are trying to enforce the restaurants that choose to be open late in bad areas to pay for their own safety.
I agree with that.

Last edited by fuzzy03cls; 07-13-2011 at 10:13..
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:23   #5
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Like DannyR said in a thread in General Glocking a while back, "Seagulls fly upside down over New Jersey because there isn't anything worth pooping on."
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:01   #6
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
I grew up in jersey and it was a good place then and it is now but like everything else it’s the way you look at it

The restaurants pay a high property tax for doing business in the first place and to strap this kind of tax on a food establishment will kill it anywhere it is.
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17   #7
Booker

Wouldn't this law violate "Equal protection under the law?"

If they said all restaurants had to hire security or close at 10pm, but to single out the small ones doesn't seem right. What about those 24 hour McDonalds, where the drive thru is the only thing open after a certain time?

What if the restaurant seats 50, but only has 5 people in it at midnight, do they have to have security also.

Seems poorly written and I don't think it'll hold water at the end of the day. But I could be wrong!
Booker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:18   #8
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post

Seriously..... I mean. @$%#$

Sometimes you find something so stupid, there truly is nothing intelligent to say to it.

This reminds me of a young woman that contracted for a company I worked at. This girl was a doorstop. I know that's an ugly thing to say about a person - but she was. And manipulative to boot.

You could explain something in great detail and list facts and all kinds of references to back it up - and her response would be; "No it's not."

Followed by a blank stare that reminds me of the look on a Pug's face - where there's no thought going on at all behind the glazed look.

Nothing to back up her idea that "No it's not", no reasoning, no explanation - just; "No it's not."

My Pug takes offense to being compared to your doorstop, sir.
Carry Issues

Last edited by John Rambo; 07-13-2011 at 11:23..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22   #9
rahulanand1130

I live in a very nice area of NJ, at least it is for now...but a lot of areas in Newark are very bad, and legitimate small businesses are pretty much seen as ATMs for criminals. Trenton, NJ which is about 20 minutes from where I live has been spiraling out of control and IMO will take over Newark and Camden as NJs hellhole.
rahulanand1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 20:42   #10
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

I think they are trying to tell you, "respectable folks should all be home and in bed by 10PM.

Oh, look, its past my bedtime.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32   #11
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
strap this kind of tax on a food establishment will kill it anywhere it is.
The law is only for some high crime areas, & only on take out type places that seat less then 15 people. The 24 hour drive through's are not included
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 17:13   #12
DaneA

What a crock of !@#. I really don't understand how an armed guard inside would have prevented the drive by that spurred this law.
Just another reason to never go back to Jersey.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 18:34   #13
Mister_Beefy
Legal & Proper

an off duty cop was killed by the crossfire of a driveby in a small restaurant, so now small restaurants have to have armed security or close early?

how about they just not serve off duty cops instead?
Mister_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 00:47   #14
OD Green Glock 19

The places where law abiding citizens need weapons the most are the places where guns are outlawed. Lawmakers have to be the most mentally challenged group of people on the planet. Their inability to form rational, logical, or coherent thoughts puts good citizens' lives in danger.

I just don't get it. How stupid can these people really be? How a single person could actually come to the conclusion that an armed guard is the answer to this problem is beyond me. How that one person successfully articulated to a group of actual humans that an armed guard would have prevented, helped or even influenced the outcome is even more disturbing.

Let me guess...the lawmaker who proposed this solution owns, has a stake in, or owes a favor to someone who owns a private armed security business!? That or he owns, has a stake in, or owes a favor to someone who owns a business that is a competitor to the type of business mention in this article. Those are the only logical reasons I can come up with for this idea. Surely, there was no intention to protect anyone or to prevent crime. The motivation has to be monetary or some other type of gain. Even politicians aren't this stupid.
Gun Control Defined:The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.lCZ75P-01lHKUSPc&TLR-3lH&KMP5SD.22l WaltherPPKlHK416Pistol&TLR-2l
OD Green Glock 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 00:52   #15
OD Green Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Beefy View Post
an off duty cop was killed by the crossfire of a driveby in a small restaurant, so now small restaurants have to have armed security or close early?

how about they just not serve off duty cops instead?
This is Jersey we're talking about. These mental midgets may just outlaw being an off-duty cop...

Honestly, I wouldn't even be that surprised. Keep in mind, we're talking about a state that can't even trust it's citizens to make left-hand turns or pump their own gas....
Gun Control Defined:The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.lCZ75P-01lHKUSPc&TLR-3lH&KMP5SD.22l WaltherPPKlHK416Pistol&TLR-2l
OD Green Glock 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 14:34   #16
dickmartin

The voters of NJ get the lawmakers, and the laws, they ask for. Throw the bums out!

Dick Martin
Fairborn, Ohio, USA
dickmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 16:30   #17
LongGoneDays
Misanthropical

I don't understand. I thought they were all spray tanned and spent ll day shopping or at the beach.
LongGoneDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 17:05   #18
cloudbuster

Obviously the mere presence of an armed guard would have automatically deflected the bullet headed for the off-duty officer.

I feel bad for the armed guards. In a city like Newark I'd think an armed guard in a tiny restaurant at night would be like a sign saying "Free gun here! Only one poor, underpaid SOB to shoot!"
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 17:56   #19
nelsone
rank amateur

Send a message via Skype™ to nelsone
What possible relevance is it that an off-duty cop (as opposed to an off-duty city councilman or hooker) was the random target?

Seriously, this whole proposal is so devoid of logic or reason that it's stunning - even by government standards.

Why not require that all cars must have an armed guard in the back seat after 10PM to prevent drive-bys?
nelsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 17:58   #20
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsone View Post
What possible relevance is it that an off-duty cop ... was the random target?
Surely you're not naive enough to not realize that we're all equal, but some of us are more equal than others.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote