GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 21:22   #1
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,646
A Biblical only discussion of the Trinity

[Quote:]
Originally Posted by Ogreon
If I have this right...we have two persons instead of three. (I'll guess that the Holy Spirit is a force or attribute of God). And the exact details of how the two persons interact or join together, you aren't sure (except the Father came first and both Father and Son have authority over everything else).

Assuming I have this right, then I have a bit more information than I had before.

I was gonna have rgregoryb beat you up...but...I just can't bring myself to pony up cash to a Mr. Smiley Face button. [Quote]

Brasso was explaining his understanding of the Godhead. From a Biblical perspective he is partially correct. The three persons of the Godhead are not equal. This does not mean that they are not all three God, but that they each are distinct interconnected and yet God.

Instead of taking one text and making a case from it, how about including all scripture to discuss and learn from?

Bible quotes showing all three working together:

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
14:22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Collosians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily
.
2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19   #2
achysklic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,228
Trinity and it's concept is taken from paganism, it is never taught in the bible. The God family consist of God the Father, God the son. The Holy spirit is never mentioned as a person. It is however part of the Ftaher that is given to mankind as a gift to help them along their journey.

In john 17 Jesus explain how He and the Father are one. They are one in thought and action not personage. Jesus ask that all christians also be one with the Father and Him in this same way.

The Holy Spirit again is not mentioned as being part of the oneness of the God family. It is merely a essence of the Father.
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:45   #3
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Why then was the Greek Orthodox wedding I attended recently so heavily ritualized to the number three?

The priest explained it as adherence to the belief in the Trinity. Are you saying that the Trinity is not part of the scriptures that are so revered in Catholicism? They say "God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost" during blessings. Surely this is biblical in nature.
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 07-14-2011 at 03:51..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50   #4
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by achysklic View Post
Trinity and it's concept is taken from paganism, it is never taught in the bible. The God family consist of God the Father, God the son. The Holy spirit is never mentioned as a person. It is however part of the Ftaher that is given to mankind as a gift to help them along their journey.

In john 17 Jesus explain how He and the Father are one. They are one in thought and action not personage. Jesus ask that all christians also be one with the Father and Him in this same way.

The Holy Spirit again is not mentioned as being part of the oneness of the God family. It is merely a essence of the Father.
Remember this is Scripture only. You did a lot of explaining without Biblical support. This is how things get skewed. God does not always fit into our logical construction.

1. True, there is not the word "Trinity" used in the Bible.

2. The Holy Spirit is mentioned as a person many times in the Bible.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what [is] the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
14:17 [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

3. The members of the Godhead are also mentioned working in concert as individuals.

Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:58   #5
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Why then was the Greek Orthodox wedding I attended recently so heavily ritualized to the number three?

The priest explained it as adherence to the belief in the Trinity. Are you saying that the Trinity is not part of the scriptures that are so revered in Catholicism? They say "God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost" during blessings. Surely this is biblical in nature.
Being heavily ritualized is no guarantee that something is Biblical. There was a pagan religion of Sun worship that arose to state religion in the Roman Empire just before Jesus was born. During the time directly after the resurrection a number of non-Biblical rituals and beliefs were brought into Christianity. This is called syncretism. Sometimes it may be harmless and sometimes not. This is why there are so many different Churches. We now have the Bible in our own languages. It is time to study to find the Truth as it is in Jesus. The only safe standard is the Bible.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Last edited by Vic Hays; 07-14-2011 at 09:01..
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:00   #6
NMG26
Senior Member
 
NMG26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 4,771
The Holy Spirit is Just a nickname for God.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:20   #7
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
In a very crude, earthly (human) like description, I like to think of the trinity kind of like water. You have two hydrogen molecules bonded to one oxygen molecule and all three make up water. You can't have water without all three. And yet water is made up of three individual parts. God & Jesus are like the two hydrogen molecules in that they are of the same nature and the holy spirit is like the oxygen. Different from the hydrogen, but absolutely needed to form water.

Ok, sorry.....that wasn't very biblical, but an analogy that kind of makes sense to me.

I do believe that the Holy Spirit is a kind of "power" given to Christ's believers as a source of strength to help them live out the kind of Christ centered life that He has called us to. We cannot do this on our own strength. I believe the spirit also helps move us into spritual maturity.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32   #8
Brasso
Senior Member
 
Brasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 8,631
God, YHWH, is unseen. Invisible. He is everywhere and everything. He is Spirit. The Holy Spirit is Him. He gives you that. Messiah is also of that same Spirit. He came forth from the Father and eventually took on flesh. Messiah is the visible image of YHWH. That part of Him that interacts with His creation. YHWH is the Father and Godhead. Messiah is the Son and redeemer. Messiah is our head. The FAther is Messiah's head.

There is only One God. Even Messiah acknowledges that YHWH is His God. But Messiah is alive, not dead, seated as our high priest and mediator. So we pray to Him also, acknowledging His postion as given by the Father, to the glory of the Father. He's been given all authority and inherited all things, even the name YHWH.
__________________
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.

Last edited by Brasso; 07-14-2011 at 11:34..
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37   #9
achysklic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,228
Biblical Proof
1) The word “trinity” is not in the Bible.
2) The Holy Spirit was “poured out” on Pentecost (Acts 2:18)—and was “poured out” upon
Gentiles (Acts 10:45). A person is not “poured out.”
3) Acts 2:2: “And suddenly
there came from heaven a sound like the rushing of a powerful
wind, and filled the whole house... ” A person doesn’t sound like a mighty wind, and cannot fill a house.
4) The Holy Spirit appeared as cloven tongues—something a person cannot do (Acts 2:3).
5) Christ was conceived by the Holy Spirit (Matt. 1:18, 20). If the Holy Spirit were a person,
that would make the Holy Spirit Christ’s Father!
6) The Holy Spirit is not a person; it is the
power God uses to accomplish His work.
7) Sometimes Scripture
personifies a thing or quality as if it were a person: “Wisdom cries outside;
she utters her voice in the streets.” (See Prov. 1:20-33.) Another example refers to
“understanding”: “Lift up your voice for understanding; if you seek her as silver, and search
for her as
for hidden treasures…” (See Prov. 2:3-4.) The use of “she” and “her” does not make wisdom or understanding
a person. Nor can the use of “he” in the
KJV, etc. make the Holy Spirit a person.
8) Christ said, “I and My Father are one” (John 10:30; 17:21-22). He never mentioned the Holy
Spirit as being one with Him and His Father.
9) “The Son of man … came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before
Him” (Dan. 7:13). Daniel, a loyal servant of God, spoke of only
two members of the Godhead.
10) “The L
ORD said to my Lord, ‘Sit at My right hand…’ ” (Psalm 110:1). David, a man after
God’s own heart (Acts 13:22), spoke of only
two members of the Godhead.
11) In most of his letters Paul gave salutations from God the Father and Christ—but never included
the Holy Spirit. If the Holy Spirit were a person and a member of a triune Godhead, Paul would
have sent greetings from the Holy Spirit as well.
12) In three of Paul’s letters, God the Father and Christ are referred to as persons—but the Holy
Spirit is never referred to as such (Col. 1:3; I Thess. 1:1; Hebrews 1:1-2).
13) Matthew 28:19 reads: “Go … baptizing them into the name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.” The use of “Holy Spirit” here in no way makes it a person.
14) In John’s vision of the throne of God (Rev. 4-5), he saw only the Father and the Son. He did
not see a third person designated as “God, the Holy Spirit.”
15) Satan’s religions teach the doctrine of the
trinity; God teaches the Family.
16) God is an open
Family—not a closed, triangular trinity. Converted, begotten believers can

be
born into the Family of God at the first resurrection.
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:38   #10
achysklic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,228
Historical Proof
1) The trinity teaching originated in the latter half of the second century—a hundred years
after

the New Testament had been written and canonized.
2) The trinity doctrine was officially adopted at the Council of Constantinople in 381 AD.
3) A 4th-century spurious addition was made to I John 5:7: “…in heaven, the Father, the Word,
and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one….”
Peake’s Commentary says, “No respectable Greek
[manuscript] contains it. Appearing first in a late 4th century Latin text, it entered the
Vulgate and finally
the NT of Erasmus [and eventually the
KJV]” (p. 1038). Numerous Bible commentaries agree; most
modern translations omit the passage.
I John 5:6-8 should read: “This is He Who came by water and blood—Jesus the Christ; not by
water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that bears witness because the Spirit is the truth.
For there are three that bear witness on the earth: the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these three

witness unto the one truth.
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:01   #11
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,533
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by achysklic View Post
Historical Proof
1) The trinity teaching originated in the latter half of the second century—a hundred years
after

the New Testament had been written and canonized.
2) The trinity doctrine was officially adopted at the Council of Constantinople in 381 AD.
3) A 4th-century spurious addition was made to I John 5:7: “…in heaven, the Father, the Word,
and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one….”
Peake’s Commentary says, “No respectable Greek
[manuscript] contains it. Appearing first in a late 4th century Latin text, it entered the
Vulgate and finally
the NT of Erasmus [and eventually the
KJV]” (p. 1038). Numerous Bible commentaries agree; most
modern translations omit the passage.
I John 5:6-8 should read: “This is He Who came by water and blood—Jesus the Christ; not by
water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that bears witness because the Spirit is the truth.
For there are three that bear witness on the earth: the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these three

witness unto the one truth.
Given how core a belief in the trinity is to Christians, it seems that your argument points to how human, corrupted and errant the Bible is.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:11   #12
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Given how core a belief in the trinity is to Christians, it seems that your argument points to how human, corrupted and errant the Bible is.
There are many things I've learned about the Bible recently that puzzle me:

Why is the concept of hell as a place of punishment not part of the original scriptures, if it is so fundamental to the idea of salvation?

How is it that the Synoptic Gospels are not the work of those for whom they are named?

How do people who hold the Bible to be the inviolate word of God reconcile the fact that it was written by men and altered much over its history?
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:20   #13
FifthFreedom
Senior Member
 
FifthFreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,874
Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
There are many things I've learned about the Bible recently that puzzle me:

Why is the concept of hell as a place of punishment not part of the original scriptures, if it is so fundamental to the idea of salvation?

How is it that the Synoptic Gospels are not the work of those for whom they are named?

How do people who hold the Bible to be the inviolate word of God reconcile the fact that it was written by men and altered much over its history?
Well answer to question 1:
Because when torturing people and burning them at the stake didn't get people to kiss the cross, the threat of hellfire was a good alternative.

2: Because we have no idea who wrote them.

3: The Torah itself has not been altered.
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:01   #14
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Why would a non-Christian, non-believer (in God or Christ) feel the need or desire to post in a thread that is obviously tilted toward a believer and one seeking clarification regarding Christian principals or beliefs.

Look, some of you make it quite clear that you do NOT in any form or fasion hold the same belief or ideals of people of faith. Particularly, people who profess Christianity and who try to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible. Fine. Great. That is certainly your view, your prerogative, your decision.

Why not allow people of like-mind the opportunty to discuss and share their thoughts, questions, and beliefs without hijacking their thread every time? Why not have the common decency to stay out of a discussion that was not directed to you.

It is one thing if a Christian wants to debate a particular subject or idea with an atheist or agnostic and starts a thread for that sole purpose.

To the same degree, you could easily start your own thread on any subject you like and pick apart every last word of someone who does not share your thoughts, beliefs, and opinions.

But it just seems rude, immature, arrogant, and flat out classless to constantly interject your unprovoked (and quite frankly - unsolicited) rants thread, after thread, after thread when like-minded Christians want to discuss things of the bible.

Am I just asking for too much here......?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:12   #15
FifthFreedom
Senior Member
 
FifthFreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,874
Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAF View Post
Why would a non-Christian, non-believer (in God or Christ) feel the need or desire to post in a thread that is obviously tilted toward a believer and one seeking clarification regarding Christian principals or beliefs.

Look, some of you make it quite clear that you do NOT in any form or fasion hold the same belief or ideals of people of faith. Particularly, people who profess Christianity and who try to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible. Fine. Great. That is certainly your view, your prerogative, your decision.

Why not allow people of like-mind the opportunty to discuss and share their thoughts, questions, and beliefs without hijacking their thread every time? Why not have the common decency to stay out of a discussion that was not directed to you.

It is one thing if a Christian wants to debate a particular subject or idea with an atheist or agnostic and starts a thread for that sole purpose.

To the same degree, you could easily start your own thread on any subject you like and pick apart every last word of someone who does not share your thoughts, beliefs, and opinions.

But it just seems rude, immature, arrogant, and flat out classless to constantly interject your unprovoked (and quite frankly - unsolicited) rants thread, after thread, after thread when like-minded Christians want to discuss things of the bible.

Am I just asking for too much here......?
Whom are you addressing?
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:13   #16
eracer
Where's my EBT?
 
eracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 6,722
AGAF -

Sorry, but the original post said nothing about 'believers only.'

I agree that any discussion should be civil and respectful of other's beliefs. And I think that most folks in this forum act civilly.

Should the religious forum be off-limits to those of us who question the validity of current religious interpretations of such things as the nature of God, creation, evolution, etc.?
__________________
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 07-14-2011 at 13:15..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:14   #17
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
Whom are you addressing?
Re-read the first sentence.......
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:18   #18
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Quote:
Should the religious forum be off-limits to those of us who question the validity of current religious interpretations of such things as the nature of God, creation, evolution, etc.?
Absolutely not. Read my post again.

If I start a thread that is clearly intended for discussion with other believers, and someone wants to hijack my thread and debate every single thing that is written by other believers, then I find that person to be terribly rude and less than civil.

I haven't been in this particular forum very long, but have already seen numberous examples of this very thing.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:20   #19
FifthFreedom
Senior Member
 
FifthFreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,874
Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Well your first sentence could mean a lot of things. You say "non-Xtian" then you say "Non-believer" in either "G-d or chrst"

Well What is a "Believer" to you? I am a Believer in G-d. I am NOT a believer in the Nazarene. So Do you feel i have a right to be here because i fit half your criteria?
As ercaer said.. this thread didn't specify any group and it is in fact a public forum so if someone wants to get xtian only replies, they should post in a xtian only forum. no?
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:22   #20
SPIN2010
Searching ...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: On the move ... again!
Posts: 1,840
This may help a great deal!

Dr. J. Vernon McGee has a great booklet on this:

How Can God Exist in Three Persons?
While we may not be able to fully comprehend all the mysteries of the Trinity, we can at least stand on the fringe of this great truth and worship.

See the 44th book that can be downloaded on the page.

http://www.thruthebible.org/site/c.i..._Downloads.htm

www.ttb.org
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:27   #21
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member
 
ArtificialGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,533
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAF View Post
Why would a non-Christian, non-believer (in God or Christ) feel the need or desire to post in a thread that is obviously tilted toward a believer and one seeking clarification regarding Christian principals or beliefs.

Look, some of you make it quite clear that you do NOT in any form or fasion hold the same belief or ideals of people of faith. Particularly, people who profess Christianity and who try to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible. Fine. Great. That is certainly your view, your prerogative, your decision.

Why not allow people of like-mind the opportunty to discuss and share their thoughts, questions, and beliefs without hijacking their thread every time? Why not have the common decency to stay out of a discussion that was not directed to you.

It is one thing if a Christian wants to debate a particular subject or idea with an atheist or agnostic and starts a thread for that sole purpose.

To the same degree, you could easily start your own thread on any subject you like and pick apart every last word of someone who does not share your thoughts, beliefs, and opinions.

But it just seems rude, immature, arrogant, and flat out classless to constantly interject your unprovoked (and quite frankly - unsolicited) rants thread, after thread, after thread when like-minded Christians want to discuss things of the bible.

Am I just asking for too much here......?
The thread is regarding a Biblical discussion. Do you for some reason believe that only Christians are capable of a Biblical discussion? Must all Biblical scholars be Christians? Must all Islamic studies scholars be Muslim?

Many of the non-believers here are quite versed in the Bible, many of whom were raised Christians. If I can hold a discussion on The Lord of the Rings without believing that it is true, there is no reason that I cannot participate in a Bible discussion just because I do not believe that it is true.

My point to achysklic is valid, and if you've read enough here that you'll know that many of his views are unorthodox (heretical to today's orthodoxy), so somebody's view on the errancy/inerrancy of the Bible that they are quoting seems appropriate (to me) in a Biblical discussion.

If you're seeking a happy happy joy joy God cheerleading forum largely free of dissenters then I would recommend christianforums.net which requires acceptance of the Nicene Creed as a condition of participation in many forums.

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:39   #22
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Quote:
You say "non-Xtian" then you say "Non-believer" in either "G-d or chrst"
No, I said non-Christian, God, or Christ

You are correct in that this is indeed a public forum and I have no right to police this forum.

I do believe, however, that grown adults can subscribe to some level of decency and consideration for one another.

If I ever begin a thread and CLEARLY ask for Christian only responses, would those who frequent this forum show the proper respect and not try to disprove, argue, or otherwise invalidate every word posted by those Christians?

Again, is that asking for too much?
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 13:48   #23
achysklic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Given how core a belief in the trinity is to Christians, it seems that your argument points to how human, corrupted and errant the Bible is.
This is true, humans have corrupted almost every translation of the bible to suit their own pagan beliefs.
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 14:15   #24
FifthFreedom
Senior Member
 
FifthFreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,874
Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAF View Post
No, I said non-Christian, God, or Christ

You are correct in that this is indeed a public forum and I have no right to police this forum.

I do believe, however, that grown adults can subscribe to some level of decency and consideration for one another.

If I ever begin a thread and CLEARLY ask for Christian only responses, would those who frequent this forum show the proper respect and not try to disprove, argue, or otherwise invalidate every word posted by those Christians?

Again, is that asking for too much?

OK then if christian asked for a thread and wanted christian responses only then again, he may want to visit a CHRISTIAN forum because this forum is public. People ask me questions about Judaism and you notice how many xtians want to chime in. Someone started a thread that deals with atheism and likewise. This is what happens when one has an open forum. Why shouldnt it be such. As a Jew, do i not have xtians constantly trying to "disprove, argue, or otherwise invalidate every word"
(using your words here) I gotta suck it up because they do in fact on a public forum have the right to voice their opinion.
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 14:36   #25
AGAF
On a Journey
 
AGAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
OK then if christian asked for a thread and wanted christian responses only then again, he may want to visit a CHRISTIAN forum because this forum is public. People ask me questions about Judaism and you notice how many xtians want to chime in. Someone started a thread that deals with atheism and likewise. This is what happens when one has an open forum. Why shouldnt it be such. As a Jew, do i not have xtians constantly trying to "disprove, argue, or otherwise invalidate every word"
(using your words here) I gotta suck it up because they do in fact on a public forum have the right to voice their opinion.
No, you are correct. This is a public forum and anyone certainly has the right to chime in at any time.

I believe there are other places that would be more appropriate to have the types of discussions that I am envisioning. I enjoy this site because I have like minded people to discuss one of my favorite hobbies (firearms) as well as folks who share experiences with concealed carry.

I also realize that limiting someones participation in a religious forum would be or could possibly limit their exposure to whatever "truth" they may be searching for. Afterall, I find it terribly interesting that someone who does not believe in God or Jesus would spend much time in a forum like this to begin with. Unless, of course, their motivation is to pull someone away from God or they just enjoy the debate. Maybe they want to find out about Allah, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Zoroastrianism, Taoism, Sikhism, Gnosticism, Babism, etc.

I would hate to limit ones exposure to the "truth". I firmly beleive that anyone who would deliberately come to a forum like this is searching for something. Whether they want to believe it or not.....

I would hate to hinder someone's pursuit of the "truth".

Carry on.......
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are threats everywhere......and the world is draped in camouflage.
AGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:19.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,305
426 Members
879 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42