SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:43   #1
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

Glock Crossdraw Or Small of the Back Holster

I did forum searches for a good 15 minutes, and couldn't find what I'm looking for, so I'm gonna post.

I've got a Gen4 Glock 26, and just picked up my CHP from the Sheriff's office, so I'm ready to begin carrying.

From pictures, descriptions, and reviews, I think I want either a small-of-the-back or a crossdraw holster. I know next to nothing about holsters, and would love to hear about any holsters made for either of these positions.

I think they made SOTB holsters for IWB as well as OWB, but I'm not sure. Any input on this and preference and experience would be great.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
If you need something more powerful than a .45, you need something more powerful than a handgun.
RustyDaleShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47   #2
IT0

I am in the same boat and have found some that look good but nothing I have actually tried and liked. I like small of back and cross draw, but I also have to be able to remove and replace it easily.

This one looks good but again I have not tried it yet.

http://www.tennesseeholstercompany.com/glock.htm
IT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01   #3
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Most holster companies make these type. One I have just recently aquired is a Blade Tech that can be set up for strong side or cross draw, one of there less expensive kydex holsters with two belt loops.
I have also used a Don Hume strong side for cross draw, strong side for me is right handed.
Holster hunting and collecting them until you fnd the one you want.
OWB is usually easier but IWB conceals better in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08   #4
Chevy327

I've been interested on SOB holsters before, and what I've learned is that they are uncomfortable when I am driving or riding in a vehicle (or seated at all). Also, it seems like they would conceal well, but the way the grip is angled upward makes a crevice between the grip and my back for my shirt to come to rest in. Since the pistol is in my back, It's harder to notice. I'd constantly be feeling for the rig to make sure it's concealed. The grip angle also creates a great hook for chair backs. If someone does notice the pistol and wants to get it from the holster. It hard to defend back there. It's as available to them as it is to you. Range officers dislike them, because, when you draw, the pistol is oriented down the line. This is also true for cross-draw rigs. I didn't like it.

Cross-draw is great for someone who spends alot of time in a car. Easy to access from a seated or driving position, and it's still comfortable when you're seated. If a detective who does alot of surveillance wanted a "car system", I think it's a good idea. (more as a second or extra pistol). It's hard to get the gun in tight to your body for concealment. Day in and day out, I prefer a good pancake holster for concealment. The IWB models hide the pistol well, too. I hope you're happy with what you choose!
Chevy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09   #5
Chevy327

There are frequently nice holsters for sale in the classified ads here, so you can try something w/o paying brand new price!
Chevy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:14   #6
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy327 View Post
I've been interested on SOB holsters before, and what I've learned is that they are uncomfortable when I am driving or riding in a vehicle (or seated at all). Also, it seems like they would conceal well, but the way the grip is angled upward makes a crevice between the grip and my back for my shirt to come to rest in. Since the pistol is in my back, It's harder to notice. I'd constantly be feeling for the rig to make sure it's concealed. The grip angle also creates a great hook for chair backs. If someone does notice the pistol and wants to get it from the holster. It hard to defend back there. It's as available to them as it is to you. Range officers dislike them, because, when you draw, the pistol is oriented down the line. This is also true for cross-draw rigs. I didn't like it.
Pretty much sums it up right there.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:14   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

I use an SOB holster sometimes when walking my dogs, but it isn't good for regular use, since it's in the way sitting down in a chair or car. Crossdraw is good for riding in a car, but has other disadvantages. Most people carry a regular strong-side holster for a reason - because it's the most practical all-purpose holster and it allows a proper draw, which is the first step in your shooting fundamentals (not just a way of getting the gun out of the holster).
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19   #8
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

Ok, and thanks for the responses.

Tell me, are they different holsters for carrying ~3 o'clock or ~5 o'clock? What do they call them? I read people talking about appendix carry at around 4 or 5, but I don't know if they're different holsters or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Quote:
If you need something more powerful than a .45, you need something more powerful than a handgun.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34   #9
jhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDaleShackleford View Post

Tell me, are they different holsters for carrying ~3 o'clock or ~5 o'clock? What do they call them? I read people talking about appendix carry at around 4 or 5, but I don't know if they're different holsters or not.

For right handers, AIWB ( appendix in waist belt ) are held at generally at noon, 1,2, positions. For left handers it would be noon, 10,11, positions

your 300 o'clock is generally right side strong , and 5 o'clock is general behind the right hip.
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38   #10
RustyDaleShackleford
Giblet Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post
For right handers, AIWB ( appendix in waist belt ) are held at generally at noon, 1,2, positions. For left handers it would be noon, 10,11, positions

your 300 o'clock is generally right side strong , and 5 o'clock is general behind the right hip.
Isn't your appendix towards about 4-5 o'clock on your belt line?

Dang, I thought I had it straight.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53   #11
coastal4974

I use a crossdraw position with a Remora holster and it has worked well for me.
The nice thing about the Remora is that you can pretty much put it where and how you want to find your spot.

http://remoraholsters.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57   #12
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:

Tell me, are they different holsters for carrying ~3 o'clock or ~5 o'clock? What do they call them?
Typically, a holster worn in the 3 oclock position should have little to no forward cant, and holsters to be worn in the 4-5 oclock position usually have some forward cant to them.

I prefer carrying at the 3 oclock position, I have a bulged disc in my back and if I carry any further back than 3 oclock my lower back starts screamin and hollerin at me after sitting just a few minutes.
Old 07-14-2011, 15:28   #13
fastbolt

SOB carry on a motorcycle?!?!?

Considering the potential for falling ... onto your back .... at speed ... and with some goodly amount of force?

There's no way in the world I'd increase the potential for a lower back/spine injury by wearing a SOB holster while riding.

When I was first getting back into bikes and was carrying larger (full-size) guns, I went back to trying a lightweight shoulder rig (I stopped using them for work & off-duty several years into a plainclothes assignment) and decided it still wasn't something I desired. I pulled a slim IWB (Blade-tech) out of my collection and tried it. Nope. I tried a couple of my different OWB holsters, too, eventually settling on that method.

I eventually settled on either mostly carrying one of my J-frames (pocket holster in jacket or vest), or one of my smaller (compact/subcompact) guns in an OWB situated approx 3-4 o'clock.

I've never cared for the appendix location, myself. I ride a cruiser and find that choosing the wrong belt buckle can be noticeable over the course of a long ride, or wearing a pocket watch in my jeans watch pocket, so anything larger than that is definitely of no interest to me.

The "tactical" appendix carry method has received a resurgence of interest again in recent years. Personally, I could see it having some appeal and practicality back when holsters weren't in vogue in the 1700's and belts or sashes were all that were at hand. At least with the canted cross-draw you have the muzzle poking outboard and not down into tender & sensitive spots.

I just spent some money having the local leather shop replace the cloth pocket in my old leather zippered breast pocket with the heavy leather they use for their version of "gun pockets". I also ordered a couple of different style heavy leather vests made with leather gun pockets (mine is more than 20 years old and has become somewhat frayed and worn).

In wet & cold weather I have a reinforced/armored jacket which has outside pockets large enough (and supported enough) to hold a full-size pistol. I've done it and forgotten it was there (probably due to the way the whole jacket feels and wears ... ).

Ride safe.

Just my thoughts.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 07-14-2011 at 18:50..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 18:04   #14
maxniman

Quote:
Isn't your appendix towards about 4-5 o'clock on your belt line?

Dang, I thought I had it straight.

nope - it is 1-2
maxniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 18:27   #15
Jeepnik

Good comments so far, but I'd like to address one that is incorrect. When drawn correctly, the cross draw doesn't endanger those either on the firing line, or bystanders in an actual shooting.

And one plus, it is available to either your weak or strong hand. Oh, it is just as easily "defended" as a strong side holster, you just need to know how to do it. I guess I addressed three issues, sorry about that.
Old 07-14-2011, 18:29   #16
up1911fan

I'd stay away from SOB. Get a good IWB and a good OWB.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 18:45   #17
Kromedome

My S.O.B. holster is a Galco and I love it. However, the points made above about the practicality of sob carry are valid. Quite frankly, sob carry is a second-best-alternative no matter how you slice it. Does it have value? Absolutely. Best for day to day cc? Up to the carrying individual I'd suggest but for the most part not as practical as strong-side. However, as long as the sob holster is leather you can "train" the holster to conform to your body in the kidney position which is better all around for seated comfort and somewhat easier for a solid grip on your pistol. Stay safe.
Kromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 19:56   #18
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy327 View Post

Cross-draw is great for someone who spends alot of time in a car. Easy to access from a seated or driving position, and it's still comfortable when you're seated. If a detective who does alot of surveillance wanted a "car system", I think it's a good idea. (more as a second or extra pistol). It's hard to get the gun in tight to your body for concealment. Day in and day out, I prefer a good pancake holster for concealment. The IWB models hide the pistol well, too. I hope you're happy with what you choose!
Good post. That about sums that up.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30   #19
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
SOB carry on a motorcycle?!?!?
Huh?? I didn't read any mention of that.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39   #20
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Crossdraw holsters are tricky be sure if you get one to train a bunch with an unloaded gun, as you may find that breaking your wrist to get a good grip has you pointing the weapon at your stomach mid draw, I am not a fan of them except for some very particular situatins , like personal protection drivers.

if you like them and they fit your need please be careful in your training.