SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-14-2011, 14:06   #1
ADK_40GLKr

HP diameter vs Effectiveness

Hey guys & gals, another wild idea:

Just picked up a box of Speer Gold Dot 40 Cal 180 gr, and fired a few rounds from my G22.

Lined 'em up with a couple other HPs I have, and made a discovery. The diameters of the hollow points are all different!

Now, Mas rates Gold Dots second only to Ranger T's. Golden Sabres are supposed to be fairly good, with WWB JHP a weak 3rd. (At least that's my impression of the last 2)

Most effective = largest diameter
Least effective= smallest diameter

So my question is can the diameter of any hollow point be taken as a predictor of the potential effectiveness (i.e. "stopping power") of the round?

An interesting sidelight: Usually when I shoot at a block of firewood lengthwise, it stays put. This afternoon, the Gold Dot's consistently blew the wood right off the stone it was resting on!

Granted, the wood was dry punky cedar. I think. Later, I'll split that block and check on penetration.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 09-01-2011 at 20:56..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 14:36   #2
dkf

Quote:
So my question is can the diameter of any hollow point be taken as a predictor of the potential effectiveness (i.e. "stopping power") of the round?
Not really. There are too many other factors to consider. Velocity, hardness (alloying) of lead, jacket thickness, jacket serrations and etc. The particular rounds are designed to perform a certain way within a certain velocity range. Compare say a 124gr bullet designed for the 9mm and compare it to a 125gr bullet of the exact diameter designed for higher of the .357sig cartridge. You will notice a good bit of difference in the design.

Last edited by dkf; 07-14-2011 at 14:40..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 14:55   #3
ADK_40GLKr

Bullet tracks

More data:

My first split was along 2 bullet tracks (see photo on left). The block of wood was 12" long.

The bullet that entered lower on the left end travelled 8.5'' and exited at the top. That track crossed the track of the upper bullet which penetrated 10 inches. (Notice a couple lead flecks where the nail is pointing.)

Photo 2 shows a 6" bullet track, which apparently made a left turn and went deeper into the block where the nail points. I'm still going to try to recover a slug, if they're not totally disintegrated!

I think you can see how the 10" track expands as it gets deeper into the wood.

More later.
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ď... if you donít have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 09-01-2011 at 20:56..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote