GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:44   #1
ric0123

What will the world be like after SHTF and what will you be doing about it?

I had a conversation with a friend that I've been slowly converting to the SnP mindset. We got to talking about something else that she's interested in, which is basically the next evolution of civilization. Which lead to some other conversations.

So, here's my question.

What will the world be like after SHTF? What will the world look like, and more importantly, what will be your part in it? Will you hide out for the rest of your days, or will you go out into the world and try to assist in the rebuilding?

Let me expand that further.

As many threads on GTSP have discussed, no one really knows what SHTF will looking, meaning metor impact, financial break down, civil war, super volcano, etc. So we there is a lot of what ifs (as usual)

I think that most SP people have the fantasy of having 100 acres in the woods with solar and guns and canned food. My question is, is that how you really want to spend the rest of your life? After the immediate danger is over (probably 6 months to a year) what will you do to actually rebuild society? Or, do you care? Are you happy sitting in your cabin in the woods eating Mountain House meals and MRES or will you go out and try to actively assist the rest of the world?

I'm reminded of the scene in 28 days later where one of the Brit soldiers was going to kill himself because he thought that society was over (due to lack of women, but thats besides the point). My point is, what is your motivation to keep going if you think that society has ended and/or you're not doing anything to assist in its rebuilding?

There really is no right or wrong answers here, but the question has been bugging me for days.

I'll throw out my answer as best as I have it right now:

I've got my own theories as to how SHTF will happen and I'm lucky enough to have a location to go to. I suspect that I'll hold out there for a few months for things to settle down, and then I'll go wandering out into the world Mad Max style. It sounds silly, but I see it as the last great adventure. What would you rather do, sit around and grow old eating canned goods or go explore what the new world looks like? Is there a high probablility that I'll end up dead in this new world? Yes. But, we all die. Would you rather die exploring or die of old age, hunger, etc?

I'm also in the situation that I'm single, no kids. Not to say that I don't have any reason to live, but I don't have any ties or people that would be in major trouble if I was gone.

Food for thought. Ponder that a bit...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:20   #2
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

I'm seeing Argentina, FerFal style.

Things here wil get much worse before they get better. A huge variable is how much more damage this hateful president can do before he leaves office.

If we get a new president who

-returns any unused funds from the porkulus bill to the treasury,

-returns all spending immediately to 2008 levels,

-dismantles the hated Obamacare so that business stop being terrified of jail or fines for failure to comply

-reigns in the EPA from their terror against the coal industry

- starts letting big oil drill again

we have a chance to survive. Otherwise I don't have much hope.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39   #3
ric0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post

Things here wil get much worse before they get better. A huge variable is how much more damage this hateful president can do before he leaves office.

If we get a new president who

-returns any unused funds from the porkulus bill to the treasury,

-dismantles the hated Obamacare so that business stop being terrified of jail or fines for failure to comply

-reigns in the EPA from their terror against the coal industry

- starts letting big oil drill again

we have a chance to survive. Otherwise I don't have much hope.

I appreciate the reply and I agree with many of your thoughts. My question posed in this thread is, what will you do after all those things happen?
Old 07-16-2011, 13:21   #4
88MPH
RON PAUL 2012

I'd like to believe that I would be proactive and serve as a positive force in my neigborhood. I wish I could establish a plan, start the plan before the collapse, then keep it running after the collapse.

However, I'm willing to bet I end up hunkering down and doing what I can for my immediate family. I.E.-defense, patience, evaluation of the severity, then decide whether to sit tight or bug out.
88MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 13:49   #5
ancient_serpent

My immediate plans focus on protecting my home and family. Depending on the severity and length of a disaster, I have contingency plans for my neighborhood and area.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 14:07   #6
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric0123 View Post
I appreciate the reply and I agree with many of your thoughts. My question posed in this thread is, what will you do after all those things happen?
As much as i can, til I can't.

Depends on physical safety issues.
Can I get to work without being shot at?

Is it safe to leave the house?

Do I even HAVE a job?
Old 07-16-2011, 14:18   #7
quake

Quote:
As much as i can, til I can't...
Welll put. One of my standard lines to people I'm trying to teach or mentor (young guys, employees, whoever) is "do what you can, where, you are, with what you've got", and that "all you can do is all you can do." Sometimes we can't predict & have to just respond instead.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 15:19   #8
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Welll put. One of my standard lines to people I'm trying to teach or mentor (young guys, employees, whoever) is "do what you can, where, you are, with what you've got", and that "all you can do is all you can do." Sometimes we can't predict & have to just respond instead.
That's it in a nutshell. If its really SHTF most things will be beyond our control anyway so there's no use in getting bent out of shape. Leadership emerges in coolness under pressure. Map out a few scenarios with "what would I do if X, etc and your reactions will be ready to implement without hesitation.

think of your needs, and meet them. You need to breathe, not bleed a whole lot, eat drink and stay safe. Use what you have to reach that in the best possible equation.
Old 07-16-2011, 15:34   #9
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:

Personally, I would like to see the predatory monster that our federal government has become...

..turned back into what it was intended to be...

..& that requires a massive defunding!

4% of GDP....maximum!!

Think 1910...not 2008!

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Tax Freedom Day being in January....instead of sometime in summer or worse!!

Survival/Preparedness Forum

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 15:59   #10
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
My immediate plans focus on protecting my home and family. Depending on the severity and length of a disaster, I have contingency plans for my neighborhood and area.

+1

This viewpoint mirrors mine..

..but really depends on severity & type of SHTF!

If a TEOTWAWKI...I have a fairly useful knowledge base & skill sets..

..as well as supplies, equipment & tools to start rebuilding the community!

Hopefully, there will not be too many predators attempting to capitalize on & perpetuate the misery...

..but if yes...

..I originated a humorous quote decades ago that just might become reality....

"Making the world a better place...

..one bullet at a time!"

An enterprising young relative actually copyrighted it recently..

..& I now have it on a t-shirt!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 20:29   #11
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:

I think that most SP people have the fantasy of having 100 acres in the woods with solar and guns and canned food. My question is, is that how you really want to spend the rest of your life? After the immediate danger is over (probably 6 months to a year) what will you do to actually rebuild society? Or, do you care? Are you happy sitting in your cabin in the woods eating Mountain House meals and MRES or will you go out and try to actively assist the rest of the world?
I'd much rather live in a one room shack in the middle of nowhere so long as there is some running fresh water near by (stream, river, etc.). No one to screw with me, I can control my environment MUCH more effectively, no zoning/laws to worry about...living on 100 acres sounds like paradise to me...and I already live in a great house/neighborhood.

Every few months I get the urge to buy two things...a motorcycle and a secluded piece of property in a wooded area. I'll have both before I die. The property is going to have to wait a while though.

To answer the question...

I'll hope the supplies and skills I have get my and my family through it. Hopefully my son is able to help out as well rather than just eating and filling diapers.

The main thing that will dictate how life will be is what role violence, chaos and injustice plays. If the have nots wage war on the haves, if the government helps them through confiscation/taxing, and if good and decent people let it happen life will be hell no matter how much you have saved up unless no one can find you to take it from you legally/illegally. Yes, that 100 acres sure would be sweet...

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 21:53   #12
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

If it does happen, I'll be proactive alright.... but for me and mine, screw the rest of the world. It will be survival of the fittest, and the weak will be eaten. Do I sound bitter?...Hell ya! I'm just fed up with all the BS from government and people who come into this country and play the system on my tax dollar. We hand out billions of dollars to help other nations while we have major financial troubles here at home. Maybe its a good thing we bottom out...Then we could clean house and start over.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 07-17-2011 at 05:20..
TangoFoxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 23:18   #13
bdcochran

I don't know what will happen.

I don't know what I will do.

I will react proactively to the challenges.

I will develop alternative plans.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37   #14
Dexters

Quote:
So, here's my question.

What will the world be like after SHTF? What will the world look like, and more importantly, what will be your part in it? Will you hide out for the rest of your days, or will you go out into the world and try to assist in the rebuilding?

Let me expand that further.

++++++

As many threads on GTSP have discussed, no one really knows what SHTF will looking, meaning metor impact, financial break down, civil war, super volcano, etc. So we there is a lot of what ifs (as usual)
There are about 7 billion people in the world right now (there were about 1 billion in 1900).

You need to tell me what has happened - how many remain, how did people die etc. In short, tell me what is the state of the world and then I can give you an idea how I would interact with it.

A financial problem is much different from another ice age caused by a meteor impact.

Last edited by Dexters; 07-17-2011 at 08:40..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44   #15
Dexters

Quote:
I agree with you.

The question I have is: If the USA goes the way of Argentina; what will the rest of the world be like?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17   #16
FireForged
Millenium #3936

it will be my que to start growing my 1980's mullet hairstyle once again..

Last edited by FireForged; 07-17-2011 at 09:17..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26   #17
mac66
Plant the seed

SHTF and TEOTWAWKI is pure fantasy. Sorry you guys, but we are all stuck having to deal with the real world for quite a bit longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53   #18
Aeroscoper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
SHTF and TEOTWAWKI is pure fantasy. Sorry you guys, but we are all stuck having to deal with the real world for quite a bit longer.
I'm wondering what sources you're tracking that leads you to this conclusion. Everything I'm reading and researching confirms that teotwawki is more about when than anything else.

I'm not thinking Mad Max or Red Dawn, more like Greece and Mexico. The norm might look like food shortages and corrupt cops, but to most Americans that's a reality few have experienced, or are prepared to face.
ďI care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the Empire, Ö The man that controls Britainís money supply controls the British Empire. And I control the money supply.Ē Ė Nathan Meyer Rothschild
Aeroscoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20   #19
RED64CJ5

If there is real SHTF, the one thing I'm betting on is no GlockTalk.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:57   #20
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED64CJ5 View Post
If there is real SHTF, the one thing I'm betting on is no GlockTalk.
Don't say that! Then some won't have a social life.
TangoFoxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote