Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2011, 20:25   #1
dodgecope89

Selling A Gun

Im looking to sell my Ruger LCP locally to help pay for a LC9 but i have never sold a gun before and to be honest dont really know how. More than likely it will not be sold to someone i know and trust because there are only a few around the area i live that i trust to just sell it and forget it and none of them are interested. So i guess what im asking is what steps are needed to clear my name from the gun just in case the person i sell it to dose something illegal after i sell it?

G23 Gen 3, G23 Gen 4 FDE, Ruger LCP OD, Colt 1991 Government, Ruger LC9
dodgecope89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 14:10   #2
Chowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgecope89 View Post
So i guess what im asking is what steps are needed to clear my name from the gun just in case the person i sell it to dose something illegal after i sell it?
The only fool proof way is to have an FFL transfer it to the new person, this way, there is a record kept that YOU or the BUYER didn't make.

Or sell it to a gun store and keep a copy of the receipt.

Or keep the LCP as a backup to the LC9. I think LCPs are around $300 new by me, I think the LC9 is just a little more.

Last edited by Chowser; 07-19-2011 at 14:11..
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 14:43   #3
scorpio2011

cover your ass have a ffl do the transfer
if ftf is legal in your area just make the potential buyer has a permit or whatever is needed to buy a gun legally and an id take a picture with all documents and the gun together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
scorpio2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 17:19   #4
dodgecope89

Sounds like ill be doin a transfer just to make sure nothing goes worng. if i liked the LCP i might keep it but i have tried really hard and i just dont like it. its just to small for me to shoot and the sights are horrible. ive talked to a dealer i use and i almost laughed in his face when he told me what he would pay for it and plus he really said he really cant give much more for the extra mags and ammo and holster i have that go with it so ill just have to find somebody willing to give me what im wanting for it locally and just do the transfer.

Old 07-19-2011, 21:10   #5
whoops dude

I can't speak for Arkansas but in North Carolina if the person doesn't have a ccw then they have to go to the sheriff's office and apply for a permit to buy just as if they were going to an ffl dealer. You hold onto the permit to buy issues by the sheriff have a few signatures and maybe a photo or two and you're golden. Maybe you have something similar in your state.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 21:19   #6
scorpio2011

i know how you feel about the lcp i had one i dint work right post recall trade it in for something better
got gouged pretty good but didnt have to worry about it ending up in the wrong hands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
scorpio2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07   #7
Spats McGee

I can speak for Arkansas. Here, there's no state requirement that the transfer go through an FFL. At the minimum, you can sell it to an Arkansas resident with no paperwork whatsoever. You meet, buyer hands over the money, you hand over the gun. Done.

As you're concerned about what happens to the gun after it leaves your hands, you can: (a) make out a bill of sale, have both parties sign it, and keep it on file; (b) make the transfer through an FFL; or (c) use the LCP as trade-in on the LC9. Most of the gun shops in central AR buy used guns, or take them on trade-in. When they sell the gun to someone else, I think they still have to do a 4473 (as an FFL). Any of those would help cover you.

You still have to comply with federal law, so you can't sell it to someone whom you have reason to believe is a prohibited person. Ask if the buyer has a CHCL. If so, ask to see it. If they've got it, you have confirmation that they've passed a background check done by the Arkansas State Police.

By the way, dodgecope89, if you're near central Arkansas, I may know someone who's in the market for an LCP. PM me if you want to discuss it.

Last edited by Spats McGee; 07-20-2011 at 07:08..
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 17:11   #8
dodgecope89

PMed you back spats

Old 07-20-2011, 17:13   #9
dodgecope89

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio2011 View Post
i know how you feel about the lcp i had one i dint work right post recall trade it in for something better
got gouged pretty good but didnt have to worry about it ending up in the wrong hands
yeah he told me he could only give me about $235 for the gun and only just a little more for the gun and all the extras i have for it.

Old 07-10-2012, 14:17   #10
ffg

I always sell my guns through a FFL , no exceptions . He charges me a small fee, but that is the price for CYA.
You never know what will happen down the road .
ffg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:22   #11
ftw13

no need to CYA,if something happens down the road nothing will happen to you at all. you sold it legally in a FTF transaction

Man i would love to pocket carry a 50AE. The recoil will probably be like Will Smith's pocket gun in Men In Black
ftw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:28   #12
JerryVO

I guess I am lucky to live in Florida. No need to use a ffl. Just made up a receipt with the guns SN and the buyers cwp number and put it in my forever file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36   #13
moglk47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopela View Post
I guess I am lucky to live in Florida. No need to use a ffl. Just made up a receipt with the guns SN and the buyers cwp number and put it in my forever file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Same in MO.
moglk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 23:33   #14
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgecope89 View Post
Im looking to sell my Ruger LCP locally to help pay for a LC9 but i have never sold a gun before and to be honest dont really know how. More than likely it will not be sold to someone i know and trust because there are only a few around the area i live that i trust to just sell it and forget it and none of them are interested. So i guess what im asking is what steps are needed to clear my name from the gun just in case the person i sell it to dose something illegal after i sell it?
Place it on the classifieds here on gt and if the price is reasonable or the gun is popular it will sell. Then send it to an ffl for transfer. But remember that the first owner if the one most likely to be contacted if the weapon is used in a crime. Yes, even if you use an ffl.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:25   #15
cmb

Found a 27 for sale( on this site) that I'm interested in.The seller is in Del.,I'm in MD.I've always bought my guns from shops, so I'm not real clear on what "hoops" I need to clear.I'm sure as "anti-personal protection-pro-criminal" as Maryland is,I'll need to at least go through a gunshop. Can anybody think of anything else, I'll need to do?
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Place it on the classifieds here on gt and if the price is reasonable or the gun is popular it will sell. Then send it to an ffl for transfer. But remember that the first owner if the one most likely to be contacted if the weapon is used in a crime. Yes, even if you use an ffl.
I don't see much point in going through an FFL if state law doesn't require it. As you said, if ATF ever traces the gun, as they do on guns every day, they will still contact him and his answer will be the same either way. At best, the FFL provides some proof that he really sold the gun, but I don't consider that very important. "The serial number of the gun comes back to you" may make a good plot point in Sons of Anarchy, but it doesn't mean much in real life.

I guess if you sell it to a criminal and don't get his name and then he kills one of your family members or co-workers with it and leaves it in the ditch...but we're back to movies and TV again.

Last edited by Bren; 01-01-2013 at 09:23..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 15:45   #17
Msr898

How much do you want for it?

Posted using [URL=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/URL]
Msr898 is offline   Reply With Quote