Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-18-2011, 18:48   #1
srhoades

Help opening 7z archive

I'm either overlooking something and I'm a dimwit or the guy who set this up is a dimwit. Software used was Cobian backup to make 7z archives. I've attached screenshots but it doesn't make any sense to me. I can open all of the smaller files, which I think are differentials. The problem is the file I need is in the one dated 12-01. As you can see, the files are limited to 2GB and were split when they exceeded that size. I can not open any of the large 2GB archives. What is strange to me is that from the get go there is a file with 001 extension, does that mean the first full backup is missing? Yet it is named "backup" while every subsequent file is name "primary." I'm lost.
I've tried using the decompressor option in Cobian and it just locks up on any of the larger files.
Tech Talk
Tech Talk

Last edited by srhoades; 07-18-2011 at 18:50..
srhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 19:04   #2
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

No Password?
WinRAR no help?

and

After you make copies of those fine files, what happens when you knock the ,001 extention of them?

Call the previous 'Backup Artist'?

Good Luck - These kinda things lead people to much more realistic backup situations in the end!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 19:09   #3
srhoades

The 2GB .001 files will extract into then just a plain 2GB 7z file, which then cannot be opened. I've tried WinRAR and have the same issues.
Old 07-18-2011, 19:10   #4
srhoades

And I've already set him up with Acronis making separate images of his OS and Data partitions.
Old 07-18-2011, 19:11   #5
Linux3

Just as people here harp on the need to back up your data, you also need to make sure the process works.

How can you keep using a 'backup' utility without ever testing it?

http://www.cobiansoft.com/forum/

You might better ask here.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 19:33   #6
kc8ykd

that's weird, generally 7zip archives with .0xx are indicative of a split archive, however, looking at that listing it seems the .001 is appended to the archive name. (if it were a split, the first file in the archive would be the one with the .7z extension)

so, based on that i'd assume they're named that way as an indication of an archived archive. rather than being named that due to being part of a split archive.

you could open the one you want in 7zip and it will show you if the files inside are split.

speaking of which, what are you trying to open the .001 archives with?

http://www.7-zip.org (free)
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 19:35   #7
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Just as people here harp on the need to back up your data, you also need to make sure the process works.

How can you keep using a 'backup' utility without ever testing it?

http://www.cobiansoft.com/forum/

You might better ask here.
I'm with you Linux3 - It ain't a backup till you *test* it, regardless of the pucker factor involved!

I'll have to check Cobian out again... it's been a while.

Download YOUR copy of

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 21:09   #8
Kith

Winrar doesn't handle.7zip files well.

Go to the 7zip website and download the 7zip software to manually.open the file.

Google it, it's right there, but hard to go find a link and make the post on mobile.

Edit-kc beat me to it a few posts back. This is why we read the thread, before replying

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.

Last edited by Kith; 07-21-2011 at 21:11..
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 22:24   #9
kc8ykd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kith View Post
...This is why we read the thread, before replying
meh, i'm waiting for the text to speech upgrade to the android app, i'm like, angry at words and stuff
Old 07-21-2011, 22:26   #10
srhoades

The 7zip software didn't work. For some reason the backup was being split when over 2GB and it was corrupted every time as I could not open any of the split archives.

In the end it worked out as it wasn't as hard to reconstruct the excel file that was missing as my customer originally thought.
Old 07-21-2011, 22:50   #11
kc8ykd

well, that's unusual, and good.

unusual that the software was corrupting the archives. good they were able to reconstruct their data without too much hassle.

sounds like it was a good opportunity for you to get them some good reliable software and setup a backup schema that includes archive integrity testing.