Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2013, 19:15   #1
jtp0828

Marlin model 81/sears 41 trigger help!

Been looking for an older bolt tube fed and found one. Mint, model 41 Sears with peep sight and all original parts for about 75$. Bought it and really like it, but the trigger pull is around 11 lbs. I went to pull off the trigger and clean things up but I guess the older guns have staked pins into the trigger....I cannot figure out how to push them out as I really slammed the **** out of the pins with a punch and they wouldn't budge!

Any one have experience with an older 80/81 marlin bolt action they could help me with? Thanks!!!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jtp0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 13:42   #2
Bob Hafler

I have and Old Marlin 81DL which is probably close to the same set up. I'm thinking something is wrong with your trigger as mine is actually very good. If I had to guess it's probably only 3 lbs pull. The gun was given to me by a neighbor so I really don't know much about the rifles history. I did have to rebuild the bullet pickup action on it. Now it's a pretty nice Bolt action 22 that is very accurate. I got the parts over the net from munrich gun parts. They might be able to help you out. There good folks to deal with. Good luck
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 14:00   #3
jtp0828

Yup mine is the old dl 81 essentially. 3lbs is what I was looking to achieve. If you pull the stock on your 81 and look at the trigger return spring, that is my guns issue. Id say the sear and hammer are beautifully machined...but the return spring is a problem. The trigger feels really springy with the current one and is harder to pull then a "Friday" made ruger 10/22. I went to modify that spring and I just couldn't get those pins out. The new models have a clip on the pins...mine is the old style with just some drifted pins.

Hoping someone has gotten one apart and can help?

Old 03-20-2013, 14:02   #4
jtp0828

Its bad when the word "dremal" starts looking good to get this thing off...

Old 03-20-2013, 15:43   #5
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp0828 View Post
Its bad when the word "dremal" starts looking good to get this thing off...

I think before I went that route I'd soak it in PB Blaster for a day or two. Those pins on my practically fall out when I take it out of the stock. Mine are to loose for my liking.
Old 03-20-2013, 15:54   #6
jtp0828

Pb! What way do they slide on yours?? And I'll look into soaking it...I'll try just about anything

Old 03-20-2013, 23:19   #7
jtp0828

AND ITS FINISHED!!!!

9 straight hours. For those of you who own an OLD AS HECK .22 marlin or sears or such I have completed a successful trigger job from 9 lbs down to 3.1 ( I dont want lighter then that for hunting) with shims and springs.

First of all let me just say that my 1935 sears 41 is a marlin model 81 with the pins in the trigger not clips. What killed me is that someone in the past 100 years put the pins in backwards!!!! Yup...jammed to kingdom come. I used rem oil and a brass punch and 4 1/2 hours later had the hammer and trigger off !! Don't attempt this if you have had no experience rebuilding guns or taking them down.

Then I found that the springs were too small to accommodate a pen spring like is commonly stated. So I have the solution! If you own a Allen wrench set, the cheapo ones are all held onto a key ring by small springs. 3 of them all work for the trigger return spring! One spring installed at 1.20 lbs and was way too light, the other was 2.4 and then the one I chose was 3.1. If you have had a problem finding that small replacement spring, this will work!

Then what I did is take a piece of furniture floor padding that has a sticky side on one end, and slide that under the hammer and trigger allowing for all of the creep to be removed. A towel works as well. Just really a piece of cloth that will stay in the place and will take up some slack.

It improved my groups by half and now shoots a dime at 35 yards with peep sights! Was a total PIA :D:D:D but very rewarding

Old 03-20-2013, 23:23   #8
jtp0828

Here is it all done! Mossberg and sons on the left, ruger 10/22 on the right, and then my sears in the middle. Btw peep shooting really is the best thing in the world!

Attached Thumbnails
Rimfire Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 03-21-2013, 15:05   #9
Bob Hafler

Glad you got it fixed. That looks very similiar to my 81DL . My trigger housing is a little different and the stock is checkered in the grip and forarm areas and has Sling swivels. I think sears sold the same model under the JC Higgins name.
I don't know if all 81 DL's have side mount scopes on them but mine had a old hazy 3/4" 2x Weaver on it. I since replaced it with a new 3/4" 3x7 tasco replacement scope. I do not know what year the rifle is, but I'm guessing around 1952 as it's trigger guard is plastic and has a Pre Micro groove barrel, and has no Serial #'s.
Like I mentioned I had to do a little work on the bullet pickup action but well worth the effort. Now it shoots Shorts/L/LR rounds again.
As far as the pins mine will slide out either side. After talking to you I think I might take them out and flatten the one end slightly to hold them in place. One guy at the local Gun shop has been hinting that he might want to buy it off me. It's kind of a cool old rifle though and I think I'm going to keep it, unless he offers me a crazy price for it.
Old 04-05-2013, 20:16   #10
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
I have 2 of them; one is complete and the other is awaiting a few parts from Numrich. Something weirdly satisfying about 25 rds of 22 short and a pecan orchard.