Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05   #1
DBG19

Carrying with a newborn/very young child

I have had my CWL for a little over a year now, and have a gun on or within immediate reach 90% of the time. My wife and I are expecting a baby next month, and I anticiapte that this will probably close the gap on the 10% of the time I am not currently carrying. However, I have been running some scenarios in my head, and wanted to see what you guys do/would do.
Obviously if my wife is with me and a threat presents itself, the baby goes to the wife and I maintain myself in between the threat and wife and baby. How close do you tell your significant others to stay to you. Obiously I don't want to hurt my child's hearing if I have to fire, but hearing loss is definitely a better option than...
Secondly; If I have the baby with me, and the wife isn't with me my instinct is to stay out of the fight 100% and evade if at all possible. If evading isn't an option what do you do? If the baby is in the stroller I envision pushing her a safe distance away from me, but within reach and then addressing the threat; but if she in my arms then what?
Thanks in advance!
DBG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13   #2
Triple7

Avoid at ALL COSTS. That's my MO if my kids are with me period. If they want my wallet, they can have it. If they want my car....they can have it. I'm taking my kids and getting the hell out of there.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33   #3
ammotroop

I'd say trust your instinct 100% and stay out of the fight, regardless of who may or how many may be with you. Only use the firearm as a last defense. I carry, even while at home and I'm a CCW instructor. I teach avoidence by awareness, but if that doesn't work and you get backed into a wall......
ammotroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41   #4
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Stay out of a fight, but under no circumstances allow your child to be taken by a stranger. The only way a stranger would take my child would be if I were unconscious or dead.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 07-20-2011 at 08:42..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07   #5
Unistat

My daughter is turning 1 y.o. in a few weeks so I have just been through where you are.

1. Your most vunerable time is when you are putting the baby in/taking out of the car seat. Situational awareness is paramount here. Scan frequently.
2. My wife and I both carry. Whoever has the baby is the runner, the other parent is the shooter/distraction. We have code words for when the baby holding parent should go away quickly. If approached by a weirdo (it has happened a couple of times) the parent with the baby will keep walking and the other parent will deal with the weirdo.
3. When alone with the baby, pretty much the only thing you can do is run. Run in a non-linear direction and get out of line of sight ASAP.
4. Situational awareness is the most important skill to develop. Sit near emergency exits in resteraunts. Always observe who and what is around you. Constantly plan and monitor your escape routes. Never walk into a place you don't know how to walk out of. After a while it becomes second nature.
5. Listen to your instincts. If it doesn't feel right or look good, don't go or get out.

If people thought you were paranoid before, prepare for the fact that it is going to ramp up to over 9000.

Last edited by Unistat; 07-20-2011 at 09:08..
Unistat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 14:59   #6
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Good to see you are thinking about what you need to do differently now that you have a child.

No matter who is with you, or even if you are alone your first consideration should be to put enough distance between you and your agressor to evade the threat. If that is not an option then you should act to stop the threat. That is common sense, but so many times when people go through these scenarios in their head they jump straight to pulling the trigger. Common sense and situational awareness is something you start and end the day with. Always be aware of your surroundings and as much as practical what your escape routes are.

Planning for the minute details like how far away your wife should be from you is futile. The attack won't happen the way you think it will, there is a good chance it will be much faster than you could ever imagine and the chances of you and your wife acting the way you planned it is almost zero. Come up with simple rules, the simpler the better. And for the love of John Moses Browning please do not listen to internet commandos tell you how to act. Read, research and come up with YOUR plan.

Last edited by dnuggett; 07-20-2011 at 15:37..
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 16:44   #7
DaneA

All of the above. But practice one handed shooting both strong side and weak. In the event that you can not get away, being able to shield the baby and fire off a few rounds accurately may come in handy.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote