SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2011, 16:51   #1
Padre

Activity that isn't mine??

Hello folks:
Here is my problem. I have been receiving email's from online dating sites/chat sites, etc in my Gmail account. This stuff gets real old and is really ticking the wife off. Have gone to the sites to check what the heck is going on and it has my Gmail account name AND password there. THis is NOT good.
Today while looking on my google search list for an item I searched for and was thinking about buying, I found a LOT of searches for these same (and other) sites...WHICH I NEVER DID. It gets even worse...there are chats listed with multiple women that I never did. HONEST!!!!
Now, the evidence looks REALLY BAD! The smoking gun is there but I swear, I never fired it.
What the heck is going on. I have since changed my password on Gmail. I ran a virus check on my computer a few weeks ago...nothing.
Help guys!! I am at my wits end and pissed
If I was chatting and going to dating sites, that would be one thing. But I am not.
Give me some suggestions Please.
Thanks...Padre
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 18:23   #2
gTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I ran a virus check on my computer a few weeks ago...nothing.
Give me some suggestions Please.
Thanks...Padre
start running virus scans *daily*, after downloading updates.

Think real hard about reformating, and rebuilding your PC...
gTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 18:52   #3
kc8ykd

when you type in usernames and passwords into websites, your browser asks 'remember this password?' do you click yes ?
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 20:03   #4
Padre

Yes, unfortunately I have been lazy about using "remember this password" on most all of my sites that I visit on a routine basis (Glocktalk, Gmail, Banking). Never use them on a nonsecure computer (but have accessed some computers that are not secure and entered my password, mainly my Gmail account).
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 20:12   #5
kc8ykd

physical access wasn't my concern, but of that it's possible to insert code into a web page that will take that entire database of usernames and passwords you've saved, without you knowing it.

the code can also be inserted into advertisements that may show up on legitimate websites as well.

in summary, by saving those user/pass combinations in your web browser's database, i'd consider it most likely that they were compromised by someone taking the entire database. i'd personally consider all of the user/pass combinations stored within that database compromised, and would go about changing any login passwords that share a password with one listed in that database right now, not 10 minutes from now.

you can see what's stored in that database by going to the options menu of whatever browser you're using and then looking for the information pertinent to saving passwords.
kc8ykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 20:27   #6
Linux3

I think you have major issues. I'm thinking rootkit.
Do not trues anything to clean your system.
Wipe your system, format and do a clean install.
If you must save some files record them out to a usb drive.
After you have some a clean install AND updated all your anti-maleware and virus stuff then insert the usb drive and clean it.

Then go through and change all your passwds and maybe even your user names.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 14:09   #7
jwagess

You need to check for a keylogger program.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42   #8
wct097

Google stores your searches on their servers, not your local PC. If your google account was compromised, it would stand to reason that the person using your account had searches logged that would show in your personal search history. Likewise, the same thing could happen if you logged in to a public computer and neglected to log out before leaving. Lets say you logged in to a library computer, and didn't log out. The next person to search google would have their search stored in your search history.

Just something to consider. You could still have a legitimate problem.
Old 07-28-2011, 21:34   #9
Ogreon
unlisted

I would reconsider using unsecured computers to check your email. If you must, change your password afterward. Who knows what that computer may be infected with?
Ogreon is offline   Reply With Quote