Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:13   #1
ptmccain
Silver Membership

Weird WiFi Situation

OK, here's the situation.

I have a WiFi network in my home pumping out ultra high-speed broadband throughout the house.

We are an all Macintosh house, until #1 son comes home and fires up his PCs. He has a desktop and two laptops.

When his PCs are one, we will, at random, just lose the WiFi signal. We have to unplug the WiFi router and plug it back in and it will go for four, five, six hours until it drops the signal.

When I power down my son's PCs, we have no more problems.

Would anyone care to give me some idea of what is happening here? Any *easy* solutions?

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ptmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52   #2
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
OK, here's the situation.

I have a WiFi network in my home pumping out ultra high-speed broadband throughout the house.

We are an all Macintosh house, until #1 son comes home and fires up his PCs. He has a desktop and two laptops.

When his PCs are one, we will, at random, just lose the WiFi signal. We have to unplug the WiFi router and plug it back in and it will go for four, five, six hours until it drops the signal.

When I power down my son's PCs, we have no more problems.

Would anyone care to give me some idea of what is happening here? Any *easy* solutions?

What make & model of router do you have? How old are the various Macs? Are they all fairly similar, or what?

What make & model are your son's PCs?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:57   #3
GAFinch

Are you sure the router actually gets messed up and it's not just your son hogging all the bandwidth with large downloads?
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 13:15   #4
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFinch View Post
Are you sure the router actually gets messed up and it's not just your son hogging all the bandwidth with large downloads?
He won't admit it but that is my best guess. Three computers downloading at the same time. Why does he need three computer running at the same time if he isn't doing something intensive?

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 14:14   #5
ptmccain
Silver Membership

New Macs, latest OS system.
New PC, latest Windoze.

I have a 60 meg connection at home.

He was not downloading anything. It happens when his desktop along is connected and doing nothing.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ptmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 14:18   #6
gemeinschaft
AKA Fluffy316

Send a message via AIM to gemeinschaft Send a message via Yahoo to gemeinschaft Send a message via Skype™ to gemeinschaft
If you have a N Wireless Router, set it to Only G and see if you continue to experience the issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:19   #7
Taykaim
NRA Member

First, I would check his system for a bit torrent client. Those do a very good job of looking idle (the user generally does not have to be at the machine while it is doing its thing). Bit torrent clients can also be configured in such a way that to attempt to gain maximum bandwidth, they pretty much clobber everything else.

Second, a virus, malware, trojan, spyware etc scan and fix. If his machine is unwittingly being used to participate in a distributed denial of service attack, this would cause it to try really hard to max out your connection.

Third, check router for open ports, DMZ settings, anything you didnt setup. If the router allows UPNP, a host machine can cause it to open lots of ports for gaming, or file sharing.

Also check the router to watch its used bandwidth while his system is attached (preferably with some observation time when his pc is not attached for comparison).

Last but not least, is the router old, or flaky in any way? Has this ever happened when you were using the connection heavily without the pc's attached?

If you can afford it, buy a new router from somewhere with a good return policy, it might well just be that your old one is getting a bit flaky and one more machine is more than it can handle.

Taykaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:56   #8
BobbyT

This probably isn't your issue, but I'll throw it out there just in case.

While organizing my cables, I'd unplugged the ethernet jacks from my router and when I plugged them back in (behind my desk, blind), I managed to swap what was plugged in where. Instead of my cable modem going into the input and my computer and XBOX on the outputs, I had them mixed around.

Strangely, I still got an internet connection. My phone worked fine via Wifi, my computer worked, but when I powered up Windows Media Center via my XBOX my connection would die. Makes no sense to me, and I'm guessing it's not the case here, but can't hurt to check your router connection and see if his desktop or something else is hooked up to the wrong jack.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote