SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2011, 17:53   #1
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

Gang warfare has broken out here.

The bloods and the Crips have started a war in sleepy Greenville, NC.

When not shooting each other, they are now pulling daily armed robberies. In one case, they keep robbing the same Sonic drive-in every few weeks.

While some of you in larger metro areas may laugh at my concern, we have had more people shot this month than Detroit and Chicago combined! (15 vs. 9)

The level of violence is unprecedented in this college town of 82,000 people! It really wasn't like this as recently as 2 years ago!

The police spend more time arresting drunk college kids and writing seatbelt tickets than confronting the gang-bangers.

The mayhem is not just limited to the "bad areas" of town. Just last night 4 people were shot at a large convenience store in town -- the second time this summer at the same store.

While some of the comments posted on the news stories are very racistly macho and suggest forming vigilante groups, the police really seem powerless to do anything. Local church groups are holding "prayer meetings" about this.

Has anyone else lived in an area that was able to overcome this kind of explosion in violence? How did your people do it?
Old 07-24-2011, 17:56   #2
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Didn't you just finish posting a nasty and snide comment about NYC on another thread?

Good luck with your town
Old 07-24-2011, 17:59   #3
GeorgiaRedfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Didn't you just finish posting a nasty and snide comment about NYC on another thread?

Good luck with your town
Wow, seriously?
Old 07-24-2011, 18:08   #4
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
nasty and snide comment about NYC
Is there any other kind?
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:08   #5
Search

Lol at the prayer groups. The only way to fight violence is with violence. The police dept will have to adapt to a changing town and it will take time. It happens all the time. We are currently experiencing a growth in gang activity too but luckily management has always been proactive about training for it.
Springfield Loaded 1911
Search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:11   #6
packsaddle

old school policing will help make a dent.

(pun intended)
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:11   #7
poodleshooter1

Quote:
The police spend more time arresting drunk college kids and writing seatbelt tickets than confronting the gang-bangers.
That's because it's easy money to pick on college kids and speeders. It's all about the pension and six figure pay don't you know?
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:14   #8
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Search View Post
Lol at the prayer groups. The only way to fight violence is with violence.
They're not mutually exclusive. "Dear Lord, be with the gangbangers and prepare them for the butt kickin they're about to receive..."
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:17   #9
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

Quote:

Good luck with your town
What does it take to get a weapons permit in NYC or NYS? The average citizen is severely restricted from purchasing a handgun in the whole state, and legal carry by "average Joes" is essentially unheard of in NYC.

As others have mentioned, the police stop and frisk people, taking "pointy flashlights" away as "weapons". Use of stun guns or pepper spray can get you FELONY charges in New York.

Removing any form of self-defense from citizens isn't the answer, nor is armed bands of citizens rolling around dispensing vigilante justice.

Last edited by Electrikkoolaid; 07-24-2011 at 18:18..
Electrikkoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:25   #10
HANSOLLIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Search View Post
Lol at the prayer groups. The only way to fight violence is with violence. The police dept will have to adapt to a changing town and it will take time. It happens all the time. We are currently experiencing a growth in gang activity too but luckily management has always been proactive about training for it.

Exactly. Do something productive, like shooting back. Stop talking to your imaginary friend in ths sky. It doesn't help at all.
Old 07-24-2011, 18:36   #11
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
What does it take to get a weapons permit in NYC or NYS? The average citizen is severely restricted from purchasing a handgun in the whole state, and legal carry by "average Joes" is essentially unheard of in NYC.

As others have mentioned, the police stop and frisk people, taking "pointy flashlights" away as "weapons". Use of stun guns or pepper spray can get you FELONY charges in New York.

Removing any form of self-defense from citizens isn't the answer, nor is armed bands of citizens rolling around dispensing vigilante justice.
I read the on-line local papers from many cities around the country. And to be perfectly honest, I have not read that NYC has the same problem you described. And yes, their citizens do not own guns like NC citizens. Not even close.

Seems to me what Seamac45 is posting is that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it bothers you the Bloods and the Crips are engaged in a shooting war where you're at, perhaps you should consider moving to NYC (or Boston or Philly or even Washington DC) until all that shooting dies down. Be a lot safer.

You and other concerned local NC citizens do have guns, no?

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-24-2011 at 18:39..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 18:52   #12
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

You can bet nearly every house, and every other car, has a firearm of some type. This is The South after all.

Rednecks driving around in pick-ups with armed posies of concerned citizens shooting at black males age 14-30 as alleged gang members won't help either.

I have a CCW permit, and don't go to areas where this type of trouble would be expected.

But when shots ring out while pumping gas (I use that station), what am I supposed to do? Hide under my bed?
Old 07-24-2011, 19:17   #13
HarleyGuy

A few years ago I remember seeing that Salt Lake City had impported some policemen experienced with gangs from Los Angeles in hopes that they could help their officers address the growing gang problem.

The feds seen to be getting a llittle tougher on the gangs also so perhaps there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay safe
HarleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 19:19   #14
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
You can bet nearly every house, and every other car, has a firearm of some type. This is The South after all.

Rednecks driving around in pick-ups with armed posies of concerned citizens shooting at black males age 14-30 as alleged gang members won't help either.
That's why laws are state specific. To me, it's presumptious for a citizen from one state to say "we have this in MY state/city, so YOUR state/city must suck because you don't have it/allow it."

What works for NC may not work for NY or OR or NM or some other state. And each state lives with the consequences of their laws and what they allow their LE to do.

I'm sure the fight between the Crips and the Bloods will die down eventually.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 07-24-2011 at 19:19..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 19:27   #15
1canvas

gangs are taking over many cities and for what ever reason police are powerless against them, there is nothing that can be done. send them to prison with the rest of their friends and they just get worse, they also earn credibility with other gang members. heck, they even run most prisons. its a win win situation for them. where is the deterrent in our politically correct society?
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 20:07   #16
05FLHT

Quote:
While some of you in larger metro areas may laugh at my concern, we have had more people shot this month than Detroit and Chicago combined! (15 vs. 9)
Any violence is too much, but I think your numbers for Chicago are too low. We average 15 people shot every weekend in the Summer. The number of actual shooting is exponentially more because there is a serious street war on both the West and Southside of the city. We even had a week recently with four police officers shot. The Chicago PD is about 2K officer short and it shows. This is the reason my family and I rarely, if ever, travel to the city.

Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
05FLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 20:14   #17
Just1More

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
old school policing will help make a dent.

(pun intended)
The police are powerless because everything they say/do is recorded. Old Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson sit by waiting for one of their boys to get roughed up so they can have a march. They're a drag on our country and sooner or later they're going to have to be thinned out.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 20:20   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
IMO and IME gun ownership in most parts of "The South" is overrated and exaggerated...and most of those that have a gun don't have it readily accessible.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 20:27   #19
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Then it seems that there should be more dead perps.

Seriously, I wish you well, and hope your town takes the gloves off. But the tool is nothing without the will.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 20:38   #20
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Why not try a little vigilante justice? It's the 21st century... maybe the bastards won't see it coming. If anyone goes down hard for it, and the 'bangers aren't, then you have a real problem. It is The South. Can't you people figure out how to bring back the good ole boy network?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote