Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:43   #1
joemannnnn

1911 For Carry

Well My bank account hates me, but after some extensive research I decided to pick up a Dan Wesson CCO. I told myself I would wait and save, but I became more and more impulsive the more I read about them. I decided to check with the LGS to see if it is something they could get their hands on. Typically they don't have many 1911's, just some lower end guns from the big name companies, certainly never a DW. My recent 1911 addiction has forced me to buy online and have them transfer for me. I couldn't believe it when they said they had a CCO in the store, it was meant to be right? Well At least that's what I keep telling myself. I drove there after work with some trade bait in case I decided to go for it, but first I wanted to see what all the hype was about. The pistol was exactly what I was looking for in terms of a carry gun and was built great. I traded in my last polymer gun (Ruger LCP) and slapped the balance on my credit card and headed home. I probably didn't get the best deal on earth, but was happy to give them the business, and didn't need to worry about any online deals gone bad. The quality of this gun is great, tight fit, great parts, easily compares to my Les Baer (broken in) in terms of fit, and probably beyond my STI Trojan. I can't wait for the range. All I need now is to find a way to pay off the credit card I charged it on. What organs can I live without? Oh yea, what really matters, the pictures:

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by joemannnnn; 07-26-2011 at 19:47.. Reason: Update
joemannnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Just find a Colt Officer's ACP and call it a day.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43   #3
okie
GT Mayor

I wear short pants all the time, and I have no problem with carrying a full sized 1911
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:44   #4
okie
GT Mayor

1911 Forums
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19   #5
Small Tony

Tagged...I'm going through the same transformation on another thread.
S&W: M&P9c, M&P.45, M&P9
686+, Shorty.40, Night Guard 327
Small Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:24   #6
jstephens202

I'm not a big guy, 5'9"/200(okay so I'm fat) but I have carried one of my full size Springer 1911's concealed for years. I use a Blade-Tech "Nano" IWB holster and find everything conceals fine under just a XL t-shirt or polo. Best advice(which I heard from my first FTO) is this: Concealed carry means you fit your clothing around your gun, not your gun around your clothing. Otherwise, we'd all be carrying .25's......
Even during my younger (20's/30's) skinner days, I was still able to carry my 1911 because I followed that advice.
See Hilton Yam's articles at 10-8 Performance.com for reasons to carry a full size.
I carry my full size 1911's almost daily. But when I can't, I use a Glock 36....just my 2 cents worth!
jstephens202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:35   #7
tango44

Commander and G19 here in Sunny FL, no problem at all.
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41   #8
drc767
Navy CSAR

The CCO's are a good choice for concealed 1911 carry. The two that come to mind that most seem to rave about (myself included) are the DW CCO and the Les Baer Stinger. I don't know the Stinger has quite the positive following as the DW only because some have had issues with not being able to slingshot the pistol, but the pistol itself is a very nice shooter and carries real nice. If that matters to you, it appears it is a roll of the dice as to if you will get one that will slingshot. I had read so many rave reviews on the DW CCO, I decided to get one for myself a couple weeks ago to see what all the buzz was about. From the first trip to the range with it, I understand the love for this pistol. It is built with very high quality parts that are fit professionally. The example I got was a tack driver. I am sold on this little guy. As far as a Commander or Government steel pistol, I don't find them difficult to EDC, either. I have tried to carry my Glocks on occasion, but the thickness of them compared to the 1911 drives me crazy, even though I am sure I would get used to them if I actually gave them a chance. The key to successful 1911 carry is a high quality belt and finding a good, quality holster that works for you. I EDC a 1911 of some sort every day......and will never do anything but.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41   #9
midliferally

I think it might be hotter in NC right now than Fla. I couldn't carry with a leather holster, it would mildew from being soaked with sweat. Ask me how I know.......
midliferally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54   #10
skdmrklcy
Duck and Cover

I like a good Commander size weapon, never owned a bobtail but I could see how it could help.

I think if you have a full-size you like you can give a shot. I do not think you will see a really big change in the size of it.

I like to stay with Full Size stuff and the Tiny stuff, the middle just is not for me.
skdmrklcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04   #11
dakota1911

I carry a Colt Commander and don't have a problem, but everybody is different.
dakota1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
The CCO's are a good choice for concealed 1911 carry. The two that come to mind that most seem to rave about (myself included) are the DW CCO and the Les Baer Stinger. I don't know the Stinger has quite the positive following as the DW only because some have had issues with not being able to slingshot the pistol, but the pistol itself is a very nice shooter and carries real nice. If that matters to you, it appears it is a roll of the dice as to if you will get one that will slingshot. I had read so many rave reviews on the DW CCO, I decided to get one for myself a couple weeks ago to see what all the buzz was about. From the first trip to the range with it, I understand the love for this pistol. It is built with very high quality parts that are fit professionally. The example I got was a tack driver. I am sold on this little guy. As far as a Commander or Government steel pistol, I don't find them difficult to EDC, either. I have tried to carry my Glocks on occasion, but the thickness of them compared to the 1911 drives me crazy, even though I am sure I would get used to them if I actually gave them a chance. The key to successful 1911 carry is a high quality belt and finding a good, quality holster that works for you. I EDC a 1911 of some sort every day......and will never do anything but.....
The Wilson ULCc is even better than those two.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07   #13
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

The TALO Colt Wiley Clapp 21st Century Commander is very nicely set up right from delivery. It is a lightweight to boot.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50   #14
skdmrklcy
Duck and Cover

Those Wiley Clapp Colts are nice looking Pistols!
skdmrklcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 13:20   #15
joemannnnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc767 View Post
Hey Dave, it is precisely your review of the DW CCO that has gotten me into this mess. I thought I was good for awhile, was going to start saving to buy a Pro from you, and then your review happened. Now I don't know what to do. I am going to visit Beltman tomorrow to look at some belt options. After reading several reviews, I went to his site to look at options, wouldn't ya know he is in my backyard. So I can at least check the belt off the list. Now I need to decide gun and holster.
Old 07-25-2011, 13:42   #16
midliferally

Belts

Joe, Beltman is in my backyard too!! I'm in F-V. Thanks for the info!!!
Sorry for the High-jack!!!
P.S. I'm on Dave's Pro list too. Maybe we can organize a shoot sometime??
I'm close to Drakes Landing.....
midliferally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 13:48   #17
joemannnnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by midliferally View Post
Joe, Beltman is in my backyard too!! I'm in F-V. Thanks for the info!!!
Sorry for the High-jack!!!
P.S. I'm on Dave's Pro list too. Maybe we can organize a shoot sometime??
I'm close to Drakes Landing.....
I'm in HS, and work in Apex. We definitely should organize a shoot. Haven't been to Drake's yet, I have friends that go there often, I just go to the county range.
Old 07-25-2011, 14:25   #18
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemannnnn View Post
Hey Dave, it is precisely your review of the DW CCO that has gotten me into this mess. I thought I was good for awhile, was going to start saving to buy a Pro from you, and then your review happened. Now I don't know what to do. I am going to visit Beltman tomorrow to look at some belt options. After reading several reviews, I went to his site to look at options, wouldn't ya know he is in my backyard. So I can at least check the belt off the list. Now I need to decide gun and holster.
Good deal. You will not be disappointed with the CCO. I am supposed to be having a bunch of Brommeland Max Con V holsters for 1911's land here any day now. They are a high quality, very comfortable IWB that would go real well with your Beltman belt.......without the normal wait times you would expect to get any quality leather holster. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 16:03   #19
KillStick

Get a good holster and belt, the full size 1911 will disappear. I carry my TRS Baer with no issues.

KillStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 16:09   #20
BlayGlock

I switch from a g19 to a fullzise 1911. No problems carrying the 1911 concealed in the Texas heat with good holster. I just got a very nice one in from Cane & Derby and I highly recommend them for kydex.
BlayGlock is offline   Reply With Quote