Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-25-2011, 15:10   #1
44terryberry

Legality of buying a firearm

A friend of mine goes to public auctions that list guns for auction. When he buys one, they never do paperwork,no background checks-you hand them the money and they hand you the gun.Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?
44terryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 15:19   #2
bob_fuller

depends how old the guns are.

A faith that gives nothing, costs nothing, and suffers nothing, is worth nothing. - Martin Luther
bob_fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 15:21   #3
Herb Twoleaf
qxPfZzhK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44terryberry View Post
A friend of mine goes to public auctions that list guns for auction. When he buys one, they never do paperwork,no background checks-you hand them the money and they hand you the gun.Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?
AFAIK it depends on the state. In many states a face-to-face transaction, without background check, is perfectly legal as long as the seller has no reason to believe that the buyer is from out of state, a convicted criminal, etc.
Old 07-25-2011, 15:22   #4
Adjuster

It would be perfectly legal in Florida. No registration process and face to face cash deal is good to go.
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 15:32   #5
srwm4

Why wouldn't that be legal?
Thankfully, most states have been smart enough to ignore the Brady Bunch's so-called "Gun Show Loophole" lies thus far.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- we need your help!
srwm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 15:44   #6
44terryberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwm4 View Post
Why wouldn't that be legal?
Thankfully, most states have been smart enough to ignore the Brady Bunch's so-called "Gun Show Loophole" lies thus far.
A convicted felon would have no trouble buying all the guns he could want.
Old 07-25-2011, 16:01   #7
srwm4

Quote:
If it's that easy, then why are more than 98% of illegally-purchased firearms purchased in manners other than this?

If you want to show your support for the Brady Campaign, I'm sure there are plenty of places where you'll find more support for your political ideology than here on a firearms forum. The fact is, in the majority of states, there is no such thing as "registering" a firearm, and face-to-face transfers are perfectly legal. That's how things work in a free country.

EDIT: If you're uncomfortable knowing that free citizens can exercise Constitutionally-protected rights with minimal governmental interference, I'm sure California would be happy to have you.
, and
- we need your help!

Last edited by srwm4; 07-25-2011 at 16:06..
Old 07-25-2011, 16:04   #8
jp3975

It perplexes me that you ask "Is it legal" and dont tell us the State theyre purchased in. For all we know you live in NYC.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 16:11   #9
44terryberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwm4 View Post
If it's that easy, then why are more than 98% of illegally-purchased firearms purchased in manners other than this?

If you want to show your support for the Brady Campaign, I'm sure there are plenty of places where you'll find more support for your political ideology than here on a firearms forum. The fact is, in the majority of states, there is no such thing as "registering" a firearm, and face-to-face transfers are perfectly legal. That's how things work in a free country.

EDIT: If you're uncomfortable knowing that free citizens can exercise Constitutionally-protected rights with minimal governmental interference, I'm sure California would be happy to have you.
such a nice bunch of guys on glock talk
Old 07-25-2011, 16:12   #10
srwm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
It perplexes me that you ask "Is it legal" and dont tell us the State theyre purchased in. For all we know you live in NYC.
Assuming OP is both accurately relating the information, and is being truthful - then if they're doing any advertising at all for firearms, it'd be a safe bet that the ATF and/or State/Local police would have raided the events by now if he was in a state where any of this was illegal.
, and
- we need your help!
Old 07-25-2011, 16:24   #11
GenuineMP5

Quote:
Anyone can get a gun this way.Convicted felons,you name it,they can get a gun this way. My friend has about 100 unregistered guns he has bought this way. Can this be legal?
Well the answer isn't to imply that there needs to be more government intervention. Yes, in several states this is a way of purchasing a firearm.

If you're that worried about what your friend has in his possession, get a new friend.
GenuineMP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 17:08   #12
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Convicted felons can buy all the guns they want without this particular method which probably amounts to a minuscule number of guns sold overall and even a smaller number sold to those who shouldn't have guns.

However, if all this bothers you, please feel free to launch a campaign to close the "'insert method of firearm acquisition here'-loophole".
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 17:50   #13
vafish

depends upon how the auction is run. The auction house might have to be licensed as a dealer if they are in the business of selling firearms.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 17:52   #14
american lockpicker
License to Il

Quote:
Or steal them, make them, buy one from a drug dealer, etc.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 18:21   #15
boozer

Quote:
Drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

It is against the law for felons to possess firearms, whatever hoops you make law abiding citizens jump through isn't going to make it more illegal.
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 18:26   #16
JHorner_G17C
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozer View Post
drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

It is against the law for felons to possess firearms, whatever hoops you make law abiding citizens jump through isn't going to make it more illegal.

this!
Old 07-25-2011, 18:46   #17
fwm

Quote:
Are you kidding or just trolling? I've been buying that way for 50 years. Can't even imagine a place where a gun has to be 'registered'. Ordered my first 22lr from a catalog. You must be from IL and your friend from MO.

Convicted felons that want a gun will always be able to get one because they ARE felons and pay no attention to laws, why make it harder for the common man than it is for a criminal?
Old 07-25-2011, 18:47   #18
Aahzz
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozer View Post
Drug addicts have no problem buying all the drugs they can afford, and they aren't sold at auctions.

Exactly!!
Old 07-25-2011, 18:49   #19
Bruce M

Stolen guns I have encountered over the years seem to have come mostly from vehicle burglaries and some residential burglaries. Criminals I have been aware of over the years that had a gun regulalrly had a stolen gun.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 18:50   #20
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
such a nice bunch of guys on glock talk
We don't like hearing uninformed dribble.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote