Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-27-2011, 22:06   #1
someinternetguy

ported barrel velocities vs non ported info request

I'm wondering how much velocity is lost in a compensated barrel vs a standard barrel. I'm looking to get 1300 fps with a 200gr bullet using published load data and not going more then .2 grains above their max 10mm auto data. I don't see any data that would let me do this with a standard glock 20 barrel so I'm thinking after market 6” but it seems kinda crazy to go for that and not get the ported/compensated.
Have any of you chronographed your loads to see how close they are to your loading data. It would be great to know just in general what data you used, what barrel you used, and what your actual velocities were. This is for all barrels even stock just to know how close the data is to real life.
someinternetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:54   #2
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I have no information on ported vs. non-ported velocity loss, but I can point you to a load that will give you your desired performance. First, go to the 10mm Reloading Forum here at GlockTalk, and check the sticky thread titled IMR Powder Data. You want to use 800-X or Longshot. I am guessing the load will be just north of 9.0gn 800-X, CCI 300, COAL 1.260", 200gn XTP. That is near book max, so approach with caution, and work up safely.

Look at that thread. I believe people have gone as far as 10.0gn 800-X with 200gn bullets in aftermarket barrels (over book, careful!). With a 6" barrel, a 200gn bullet at 1300fps will be no problem. You may be able to get there with the stock barrel, but maybe not.

BTW, here's a load from the owner of Swamp Fox that may interest you. Realize this is a maximum load intended for a fully supported chamber ONLY. If I understand him correctly, this load should run around 1000-1500psi ABOVE SAAMI max. Be careful and WORK UP to this load, but it should get you there as well:

200gn XTP or FMJ @ 1325fps 4.6" aftermarket G20 barrel

10.0gn Longshot
CCI 300
COAL 1.250"

Here's the thread from which I took that data, it will interest you (this is NOT the IMR powder data thread I mentioned earlier, so check it out as well):

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227

Last edited by 21Carrier; 07-28-2011 at 02:02..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07   #3
oceanbob

I am not a fan of compensated barrels or ported into the slide. (like the C models) in 10MM.

If you're shooting hot loads you will want an aftermarket barrel that has superior chamber support. (lonewolf, KKM, Stormlake)

The objective when shooting these bullets is high velocity; a ported barrel with holes is going to slow down that speed. For me the best solution is a straight 6 inch Lonewolf barrel (no holes). With that barrel you will get max chamber support and better than factory barrel velocities.

If you're running a Glock platform I wouldn't worry about recoil at all. Shooting hot loads in a GLOCK is like shooting a steel 1911. Adding a Compensator will unbalance the barrel and you will have some FTE and FTF issues. That added weight at the end of that long 6 inch barrel adds more work for the slide; so expect some problems with certain loads.

I want a weapon that runs 100%. At Fast Bullet Speeds. Cutting holes in a perfectly good barrel will only slow the bullet down and shove flaming dirt into your face.

JMO ymmv.

Be well and safe.

Bob

The 10 Ring
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:40   #4
Meathead9

I got up to 1415fps with a 200gr WFNGC, using 800X. I worked up some over max loads with Longshot too, but I never got any more than 1280fps. This was all out of my 6" G20L. The velocity gain you would get from a standard barrel, would outweigh the minimal recoil/rise reduction the ported barrel will give. If I were to get anything to reduce recoil, it would be the 6.6" threaded LWD barrel w/LWD Comp.
Old 07-28-2011, 21:53   #5
someinternetguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I have no information on ported vs. non-ported velocity loss, but I can point you to a load that will give you your desired performance. First, go to the 10mm Reloading Forum here at GlockTalk, and check the sticky thread titled IMR Powder Data. You want to use 800-X or Longshot. I am guessing the load will be just north of 9.0gn 800-X, CCI 300, COAL 1.260", 200gn XTP. That is near book max, so approach with caution, and work up safely.

Look at that thread. I believe people have gone as far as 10.0gn 800-X with 200gn bullets in aftermarket barrels (over book, careful!). With a 6" barrel, a 200gn bullet at 1300fps will be no problem. You may be able to get there with the stock barrel, but maybe not.

BTW, here's a load from the owner of Swamp Fox that may interest you. Realize this is a maximum load intended for a fully supported chamber ONLY. If I understand him correctly, this load should run around 1000-1500psi ABOVE SAAMI max. Be careful and WORK UP to this load, but it should get you there as well:

200gn XTP or FMJ @ 1325fps 4.6" aftermarket G20 barrel

10.0gn Longshot
CCI 300
COAL 1.250"

Here's the thread from which I took that data, it will interest you (this is NOT the IMR powder data thread I mentioned earlier, so check it out as well):

[URL]http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357227[/URL]

thanks I followed those links you left on the other page and wow those are some good loads. I may just have to go over published data like you suggest but I'm still a newbie. If I do that I'll have to go out to my dads(the 30 year vet) and have him supervise me.
someinternetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 13:33   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
.... First, go to the 10mm Reloading Forum here at GlockTalk, and check the sticky thread titled IMR Powder Data. You want to use 800-X or Longshot. I am guessing the load will be just north of 9.0gn 800-X, CCI 300, COAL 1.260", 200gn XTP. That is near book max, so approach with caution, and work up safely.

Look at that thread. I believe people have gone as far as 10.0gn 800-X with 200gn bullets in aftermarket barrels (over book, careful!). With a 6" barrel, a 200gn bullet at 1300fps will be no problem. You may be able to get there with the stock barrel, but maybe not.....

Slight correction to this post.

Book max with IMR-800X with a 200gr XTP is around 7.8-8.0gr, however, they are only generating 30-32k psi. If you HAND WEIGH each charge, you might find it okay to go over book max with this powder simply because the folks at IMR/Hi-Skor/Hodgdon assume everyone will try to meter this powder (a MISTAKE...).

I do not personally believe 10.0gr of 800X to be safe with a 200gr XTP. I think 9.5-9.6 would be the UPPER CEILING, and probably more like 9.3-9.5 (assuming your own careful workups in new brass, supported barrel, etc etc standard disclaimer).
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote