Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2011, 20:58   #1
skippz

Any whitetail hunters wear bibs or coveralls???

Well I gotta new set of wool bibs for this years whitetail season... They're the cabelas brand stand hunter in wooltimate fabric (I'm a big fan of wool). Anywho when hunting I ALWAYS have two things on my side, a knife and a pistol... problem is, these bibs have no beltloops.... Hmmm... first time I've ever bought anything but pants to hunt in and although I do like the bibs I am perplexed as to how I'm gonna carry my sidearm and my knife... any suggestions??? Would a different belt work (all I have is the run of the mill leather belt)... or do I need to devise a whole new system for carrying my sidearm and knife?
skippz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00   #2
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Once I learned the magic of bibbs and the key to keeping warm on even the coldest of days I never looked back. Buy a good quality insulated hunting coat with big pockets and you can stuff your pistol and knife in the pockets. Or buy a military style pistol belt and hang the knife and pistol on it.

I don't like carrying all that junk on a belt in the woods as all it does for me is catch and hang on things and makes a treestand a more dangerous thing than it already is.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 20:27   #3
Jonesee

I wear bibs. 1 pair is camo. The other is reversible hi-vis orange on 1 side and camo on the other.

I love them.

I see no point in carrying a handgun when I am already carrying a rifle or shotgun.

I carry my knife on my hip pack if I am not going too far in the woods or mountains, and on my daypack if I am going in quite a ways.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 18:37   #4
vafish

I wear bibs or coveralls.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 19:51   #5
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Why not just sew belt loops on? That's what my wife did for me.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Dang, out here in W. Texas on the ranch, we just go outside with about whatever we got on and shoot a deer turkey etc. wranglers and a Carhart jacket, or like my son here in a pair of Carhart bibs. Saves lots of $$$ on buying all the latest fashion wear for hunters, (ha) and we always come back to the house with something for the freezer.

Never did see much use in all the camo wear. I own a bunch of it, and wear it for warmth at times, but it just ain't needed. I guided for 25 years and have had clients as close as 7 yds from Rio's and not much further than that from deer with no more than blue jeans and a warm jacket and head gear. Camo company's are getting wealthy off the hunters with all the pretty designs. Not knocking it, just saying 'we got a life time of proof' it ain't needed. Not even while hunting with recurve or long bow.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Good hunting.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-17-2011 at 12:55..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49   #7
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
I love coveralls because that keep you so warm in the cold weather and leave no openings in the small of your back to let any body heat out. if you are cold you will be Fidgety. I have always carried my army style canteen and knife on a web belt along with a lower back bag for other things that are needed that will also hang on the belt.
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16   #8
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Dang, out here in W. Texas on the ranch, we just go outside with about whatever we got on and shoot a deer turkey etc. wranglers and a Carhart jacket, or like my son here in a pair of Carhart bibs. Saves lots of $$$ on buying all the latest fashion wear for hunters, (ha) and we always come back to the house with something for the freezer.

Never did see much use in all the camo wear. I own a bunch of it, and wear it for warmth at times, but it just ain't needed. I guided for 25 years and have had clients as close as 7 yds from Rio's and not much further than that from deer with no more than blue jeans and a warm jacket and head gear. Camo company's are getting wealthy off the hunters with all the pretty designs. Not knocking it, just saying 'we got a life time of proof' it ain't needed. Not even while hunting with recurve or long bow.

Good hunting.

CM
Why do you have a picture of the land. You forgot to put the person in it.

I've got one pair of bibs for snowclearin and such. What a PITA when ya gotta pee.
Old 08-03-2011, 16:01   #9
purrrfect 10

I agree with the ten gallon hat boy. Camo is camo any movment and your spotted anyway. Some times I wonder who is out smarting who with all that wasted money spent on camo and most hunt with a high power rifle. Give me a break folks, if my wife dresses in camo or a mini skirt I still know it is her HELLO. As for the original question Bibs are the best when it comes to staying warm nothing even close. Love my artic carrharts don't care how cold it gets out on the water any more I'm Fishing. Never really needed my pistol out there so I will be curious as to what everyone else has to offer caring a pistol. Guessing if i was going to carry it it would be in my deep coat pocket nothing in the chamber. Not likely I will have to draw really fast on an attacking Salmon or Walleye.

Have a Great day and eat something that makes her smile
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:46   #10
skippz

Thanks for the comments guys... I wasn't trying to buy "the newest camo fashion"... The bibs are regular camo, nothing special, no mossy oak or real-tree etc... just old fashioned army camo... The reason I bought them is b/c they're wool, I have always worn wool pants, they keep me warm even when wet, they have a natural odor barrier, really only bad part I can think of about wool is picking those darn burrs off after the hunt... And it can get a bit nippy in those late november, earlier dec. and jan. hunts in in KY and ohio... so I don't know if a pair of jeans and a carhartt jacket would cut it for me... Also I carry a pistol w/ me in the woods just the same as I would ccw one on a day to day basis... Probably not needed during rifle season but blackpowder and bow season I can see a sidearm coming in handy if one was needed... anyway, I guess I'll devise something to carry my stuff... again, thanks for the comments!
Old 08-03-2011, 20:13   #11
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
We went hunting when camo was not around. Deer spot movement not clothing. Do the research and understand you prey and you will be fine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
As far as staying warm a union suit will keep you plenty warm no matter what you are wearing on the outside <o:p></o:p>

http://www.amazon.com/Duofold-Mens-M...2423859&sr=8-2
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 21:15   #12
skippz

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
We went hunting when camo was not around. Deer spot movement not clothing. Do the research and understand you prey and you will be fine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
As far as staying warm a union suit will keep you plenty warm no matter what you are wearing on the outside <o:p></o:p>

http://www.amazon.com/Duofold-Mens-M...2423859&sr=8-2
A few things... First of all I DID NOT get the bibs for the flippin' camo pattern I could care less what pattern it was... I realize that deer spot movement and it doesn't matter what camo pattern you wear otherwise the big orange vest would give you away... I bought the bibs because they were WOOL... and that union suit may work just fine in some areas but I doubt that those alone w/ just anything thrown on top of it are gonna do the trick (for me anyway, you may be more adapted to the cold)... I layer for warmth, my long johns are not camo, they're actually white... wool is the outermost fabric I use and it just so happens its camo...
So anyway before this whole camo thing got me off point... my topic was about me tryin to find a belt or system I could use on those bibs that are belt loop(less)... so far the best advice I've heard is sew some loops on or get a military web belt...
Again, thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23   #13
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

I don't like coveralls or a bib for the same reason someone else said about getting to a firearm on the waist.

I've thought abouting cutting a slot and using velro in the coveralls for firearm access (but if it's cold enough to wear the coveralls I am wearing belted pants underneath).

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 15:42   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Why do you have a picture of the land. You forgot to put the person in it.

I've got one pair of bibs for snowclearin and such. What a PITA when ya gotta pee.

I guess so you yankees can see some real cowboy country ! HAHA
Hey, it's the 'camera' man!

Yep, if ya got to Pee or whatever real fast, it can be tricky. haha. Usually out here it is Wranglers and a Carhart Jacket or somethin like that. Like I said, even in all those years of guiding we have never got real excited about camo. Like some guy on here on another post said, if ya move it don't matter anyway. We truly have taken, and clients have taken over a 50 year span of hunting and half that guiding, a ton of assorted game, and had nothing more than wranglers and chaps on, or coveralls like carhart brown or walls, and or a jacket. I can't argue with our success !!

Here is a 160+ # small 8 pt. I culled out of the stock some years back on our place not far behind the house with some old walls coveralls and a lever action open sight 444 Marlin. 20-30 yds i think. Long as your still you can take about any critter on the planet, and NO i did not shoot him at night (HA) ...Just late gettin back to the house.

Here's some more 'LAND" for ya amigo !

These were right outside the kitchen window while I ate breakfast one morning...

Good Hunting amigo..
Stay safe out there !
P.S. I married a Yank, so no offence !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-06-2011 at 10:56..
Old 08-05-2011, 16:11   #15
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Got these off the net, cause I do not want to dig out and scan in stuff of my own at present. ha. Probably my last post on this, but thought it made a good point.

Knowing your game, windage, concealment and being still and TIME and scouting etc etc, will take care of it. I don't mean that smart. It is just the truth. Not against camo, just ain't needed ! (and yes i do own some). ha.

Check out these guys... No scopes and lever actions to boot !

And last but certainly not least... These to were wearing ALL BROWN and got their game !

Adios amigo's
Good hunting whatever you wear. It all works as long as we do our part !

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 08-05-2011 at 16:12..
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23   #16
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post

Good hunting.

CM

Works out West too.

Never had bibs. I like the idea. I may look into them just as soon as I wear out everything else.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 22:25   #17
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Works out West too.

Never had bibs. I like the idea. I may look into them just as soon as I wear out everything else.

Hey amigo. long time no hear from ya.. Again, these pics are worth a thousand words. I was to lazy to get in the closet and dig out pics and scan them etc. Besides we lost about all our pics years ago in a situation here (long story). Nice deer and bird. Bibs are not our standard around here, but the OP ask about them abd I had a pic of my son with bibs on. Chaps over wranglers are not only real protective here in cactus country but tuffer than nails as well.

Like you in your pics here... This is pretty much standard dress wear for us on hunts and goin to town ! haha.

Good pics Steve. Thanks for sharing. As always, enjoy hearing from you amigo.

Stay safe and good huntin...

CanyonMan