Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16   #1
Mike M.
Member
 
Mike M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 40
carbon 15 vs. regular ar 15

im wanting to buy an ar15 or carbon15 in the near future but i dont know alot about them yet and im wanting to start getting into them and someday build one... the sole purpose of this first gun will be just messing around and some target shooting, im not into competition or hunting or anything crazy i just want a "fun gun" and to get familiar with the rifle. Im kind of leaning towards the carbon for the extra "cool" factor and ive never known anyone with one or seen one in person... just wondering what you experts think. i hope to hear alot from you and alot of feedback......
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06   #2
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,311
They are junk. They aren't carbon fiber, just polymer. A polymer lower would be ok for a 22 build but I would use one on an AR of regular caliber. If you want a cheap range gun look at the smith sport model. It doesn't have any tacticool features but it's a solid range gun for dirt cheap.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50   #3
GSSF17
...2 of 'em
 
GSSF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,281
Junk, huh? Nope.

I bought one of the new production Bushmaster Carbon 15 rifle for my wife, and I liked it so much, I bought us a pistol as well.

For target shooting/plinking, they are a lot of fun and hard to beat. They'll eat the 55 gr .223 from Wal mart like candy.

These folks that say these are 'junk' are the same kinda folks that called Glocks "plastic junk" when they came out. No references, just a blindly-formed opinion spewed on the internet. If someone can show me an actual reason why these are such "junk", I'll be glad to pay it some deserved attention. Until then, I have over 1k rounds through the rifle, and several hundered rounds through the pistol. Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Good luck!
__________________
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 07-30-2011 at 06:51..
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33   #4
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
im wanting to buy an ar15 or carbon15 in the near future but i dont know alot about them yet and im wanting to start getting into them and someday build one... the sole purpose of this first gun will be just messing around and some target shooting, im not into competition or hunting or anything crazy i just want a "fun gun" and to get familiar with the rifle. Im kind of leaning towards the carbon for the extra "cool" factor and ive never known anyone with one or seen one in person... just wondering what you experts think. i hope to hear alot from you and alot of feedback......
Oh, you'll get feedback alright.

Hang on, this might get ugly!
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:06   #5
ColdBlooded
Senior Member
 
ColdBlooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South of Austin
Posts: 1,245
Go with an S&W M&P 15 Sport. Same or better price, and a great value. It is the perfect plinking rifle. The only problem is finding one in stock. I know Cabela's has some, but they are currently selling for retail. You can do better.

Take a look at it here:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...px?item=811036
__________________
Because I am a genius I have ascertained that fish have gills.

Last edited by ColdBlooded; 07-30-2011 at 08:08..
ColdBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50   #6
javelinadave
Hebrew Hammer
 
javelinadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,171
A Cav Arms lower mated with a quality A3 upper and a light weight barrel will yield a very light weight, durable rifle. I built one for my daughter when she was younger. Tens of thousands of rounds later and it still functions flawlessly.
I'm not sure of the durability of the plastic uppers but the Cav Arms lower is pretty freaking durable.
__________________
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
"Never Again" means NEVER AGAIN!
javelinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58   #7
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
Why is it that more often than not "I'm new to ARs" and "I'm thinking about getting a carbon15" appear in the same post?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59   #8
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
I bought one of the new production Bushmaster Carbon 15 rifle for my wife, and I liked it so much, I bought us a pistol as well.

For target shooting/plinking, they are a lot of fun and hard to beat. They'll eat the 55 gr .223 from Wal mart like candy.

These folks that say these are 'junk' are the same kinda folks that called Glocks "plastic junk" when they came out. No references, just a blindly-formed opinion spewed on the internet. If someone can show me an actual reason why these are such "junk", I'll be glad to pay it some deserved attention. Until then, I have over 1k rounds through the rifle, and several hundered rounds through the pistol. Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Good luck!
Black Rifle Forum

CavArms would be the only plastic lower I would consider.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:03   #9
CarryTexas
Senior Member
 
CarryTexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Standard Carbine Kit $479.00
Stripped Lower $79.95

Shipping and Transfers fees $35.00
Total $593.95

This is for a mil-spec carbine MPI\HPT, Chrome lined etc...
CarryTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33   #10
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Black Rifle Forum

CavArms would be the only plastic lower I would consider.
That's not a Bushmaster Carbon 15, that's a Vulcan polymer lower receiver.

Do a Google search for an image of a broken Carbon 15 receiver and that same picture is all that shows up as an actual broken receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Why is it that more often than not "I'm new to ARs" and "I'm thinking about getting a carbon15" appear in the same post?
Because the Carbon 15 is an inexpensive rifle compared to most other AR15's.

Someone who is new to AR15's and just wants a plinking gun looks on their dealers shelf and sees a $600 Carbon 15 (Buds has them for $588 shipped) next to a $1,200 Colt and they don't see a difference. So they go to the internet to find out. They don't understand they could build a real AR15 with good parts for just a few dollars more.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12   #11
GSSF17
...2 of 'em
 
GSSF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
That's not a Bushmaster Carbon 15, that's a Vulcan polymer lower receiver.

Do a Google search for an image of a broken Carbon 15 receiver and that same picture is all that shows up as an actual broken receiver.

.
Yep.

The OP asked for the opinion on the rifles, not the cost advantages of an AR build. These threads always seem to take that turn. That's not what he wants.

And while I am not "new" to ARs by any shake, I can understand that it is appealing to a guy that wants a known brand, off the shelf rifle he can shoot the same day- and in my case, whose wife likes the light weight and "feel". That was all I needed. She loves the Carbon 15.

For those that want to think that lower pictured above is a Bushmaster Carbon 15, go ahead. It's obvious someone may not get the "picture." You can lead a horse to water....
__________________
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:22   #12
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
That's not a Bushmaster Carbon 15, that's a Vulcan polymer lower receiver.

Do a Google search for an image of a broken Carbon 15 receiver and that same picture is all that shows up as an actual broken receiver.



Because the Carbon 15 is an inexpensive rifle compared to most other AR15's.

Someone who is new to AR15's and just wants a plinking gun looks on their dealers shelf and sees a $600 Carbon 15 (Buds has them for $588 shipped) next to a $1,200 Colt and they don't see a difference. So they go to the internet to find out. They don't understand they could build a real AR15 with good parts for just a few dollars more.
I know it's not a Bushy lower. Whether Vulcan, Bushy, or Plum Crazy; they are all still a plastic lower. For just a coule $$'s more you can have a quality lower. The Smith Sport would be perfect for the OP and can be had for $600 quite regularly.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:30   #13
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N. Dallas
Posts: 14,638


I am not sure why you would want to go with a polymer AR lower when most in the industry (such as Larue, Noveske, etc) are actually beefing up the AR lowers.

I would hold out for a little bit more and get a new forged Noveske Gen II lower if it were me.

__________________
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 18:23   #14
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I know it's not a Bushy lower. Whether Vulcan, Bushy, or Plum Crazy; they are all still a plastic lower. For just a coule $$'s more you can have a quality lower. The Smith Sport would be perfect for the OP and can be had for $600 quite regularly.
Show me pictures of a Bushmaster Carbon 15 broken like the Vulcan.

I did a Google search and couldn't find any.

So I don't think Bushmaster Carbon 15 needs to be put in the same group as a Vulcan plastic receiver.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 23:28   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 58,222


I find it utterly hilarious that Mattel Toy owners are trying to say that a bit more plastic is bad for the gun.

My Mattel Toy is a true Mattel Toy with plastic receiver and all. It still chucks lead downrange. It's cheap & light just like the original AR.

Black Rifle Forum
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00   #16
12131
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy
 
12131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: God's Country (Texas)
Posts: 11,079
There's a reason the Carbon-15 is not widely popular, and the regular AR15 is.
__________________
NRA Lifer, GOA Lifer, SAF Lifer
Commie libs, criminals, and sheeple love gun control. It's easier to blame inanimate objects than the killers themselves.
Andrew Cuomo & Michael Bloomberg = Friends of criminals

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 14:37   #17
Mike M.
Member
 
Mike M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 40
thanks guys, im not so sure about the carbon anymore but id like to look into the cav arms lower to put on a regular ar... the main thing is i want something none of my buddies have already, they have varying branded ars and all that some have add ons but im also looking to keep a very clean and sleek appearance (like the carbon 15)
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 15:21   #18
Facejackets
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 784
Palmetto State Armory middy build kit - $499
LRB/Aero lower - $80-89
That is a FAR better option that ends up being cheaper.
__________________
Kimbers are what you show your friends. Glocks are what you show your enemies
Facejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 16:21   #19
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
thanks guys, im not so sure about the carbon anymore but id like to look into the cav arms lower to put on a regular ar... the main thing is i want something none of my buddies have already, they have varying branded ars and all that some have add ons but im also looking to keep a very clean and sleek appearance (like the carbon 15)
Different and sleek makes me think billet. Not cheap, but certainly will get what you are after without having a plastic lower.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 17:33   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 58,222


Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
There's a reason the Carbon-15 is not widely popular, and the regular AR15 is.
Because the cool operators don't use them?
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,027
284 Members
743 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31