Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:16   #1
Mike M.

carbon 15 vs. regular ar 15

im wanting to buy an ar15 or carbon15 in the near future but i dont know alot about them yet and im wanting to start getting into them and someday build one... the sole purpose of this first gun will be just messing around and some target shooting, im not into competition or hunting or anything crazy i just want a "fun gun" and to get familiar with the rifle. Im kind of leaning towards the carbon for the extra "cool" factor and ive never known anyone with one or seen one in person... just wondering what you experts think. i hope to hear alot from you and alot of feedback......
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06   #2
boomhower

They are junk. They aren't carbon fiber, just polymer. A polymer lower would be ok for a 22 build but I would use one on an AR of regular caliber. If you want a cheap range gun look at the smith sport model. It doesn't have any tacticool features but it's a solid range gun for dirt cheap.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:50   #3
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Junk, huh? Nope.

I bought one of the new production Bushmaster Carbon 15 rifle for my wife, and I liked it so much, I bought us a pistol as well.

For target shooting/plinking, they are a lot of fun and hard to beat. They'll eat the 55 gr .223 from Wal mart like candy.

These folks that say these are 'junk' are the same kinda folks that called Glocks "plastic junk" when they came out. No references, just a blindly-formed opinion spewed on the internet. If someone can show me an actual reason why these are such "junk", I'll be glad to pay it some deserved attention. Until then, I have over 1k rounds through the rifle, and several hundered rounds through the pistol. Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Good luck!
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 07-30-2011 at 06:51..
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33   #4
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
im wanting to buy an ar15 or carbon15 in the near future but i dont know alot about them yet and im wanting to start getting into them and someday build one... the sole purpose of this first gun will be just messing around and some target shooting, im not into competition or hunting or anything crazy i just want a "fun gun" and to get familiar with the rifle. Im kind of leaning towards the carbon for the extra "cool" factor and ive never known anyone with one or seen one in person... just wondering what you experts think. i hope to hear alot from you and alot of feedback......
Oh, you'll get feedback alright.

Hang on, this might get ugly!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:06   #5
ColdBlooded

Go with an S&W M&P 15 Sport. Same or better price, and a great value. It is the perfect plinking rifle. The only problem is finding one in stock. I know Cabela's has some, but they are currently selling for retail. You can do better.

Take a look at it here:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...px?item=811036

Last edited by ColdBlooded; 07-30-2011 at 08:08..
ColdBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50   #6
javelinadave
Hebrew Hammer

A Cav Arms lower mated with a quality A3 upper and a light weight barrel will yield a very light weight, durable rifle. I built one for my daughter when she was younger. Tens of thousands of rounds later and it still functions flawlessly.
I'm not sure of the durability of the plastic uppers but the Cav Arms lower is pretty freaking durable.
javelinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58   #7
mjkeat

Why is it that more often than not "I'm new to ARs" and "I'm thinking about getting a carbon15" appear in the same post?
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:59   #8
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
I bought one of the new production Bushmaster Carbon 15 rifle for my wife, and I liked it so much, I bought us a pistol as well.

For target shooting/plinking, they are a lot of fun and hard to beat. They'll eat the 55 gr .223 from Wal mart like candy.

These folks that say these are 'junk' are the same kinda folks that called Glocks "plastic junk" when they came out. No references, just a blindly-formed opinion spewed on the internet. If someone can show me an actual reason why these are such "junk", I'll be glad to pay it some deserved attention. Until then, I have over 1k rounds through the rifle, and several hundered rounds through the pistol. Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Good luck!
Black Rifle Forum

CavArms would be the only plastic lower I would consider.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:03   #9
CarryTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Buds has the rifles back in stock for 699. There's a reason they are so popular.

Standard Carbine Kit $479.00
Stripped Lower $79.95

Shipping and Transfers fees $35.00
Total $593.95

This is for a mil-spec carbine MPI\HPT, Chrome lined etc...
CarryTexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33   #10
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Black Rifle Forum

CavArms would be the only plastic lower I would consider.
That's not a Bushmaster Carbon 15, that's a Vulcan polymer lower receiver.

Do a Google search for an image of a broken Carbon 15 receiver and that same picture is all that shows up as an actual broken receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Why is it that more often than not "I'm new to ARs" and "I'm thinking about getting a carbon15" appear in the same post?
Because the Carbon 15 is an inexpensive rifle compared to most other AR15's.

Someone who is new to AR15's and just wants a plinking gun looks on their dealers shelf and sees a $600 Carbon 15 (Buds has them for $588 shipped) next to a $1,200 Colt and they don't see a difference. So they go to the internet to find out. They don't understand they could build a real AR15 with good parts for just a few dollars more.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12   #11
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

Do a Google search for an image of a broken Carbon 15 receiver and that same picture is all that shows up as an actual broken receiver.

Yep.

The OP asked for the opinion on the rifles, not the cost advantages of an AR build. These threads always seem to take that turn. That's not what he wants.

And while I am not "new" to ARs by any shake, I can understand that it is appealing to a guy that wants a known brand, off the shelf rifle he can shoot the same day- and in my case, whose wife likes the light weight and "feel". That was all I needed. She loves the Carbon 15.

For those that want to think that lower pictured above is a Bushmaster Carbon 15, go ahead. It's obvious someone may not get the "picture." You can lead a horse to water....
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:22   #12
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

Because the Carbon 15 is an inexpensive rifle compared to most other AR15's.

Someone who is new to AR15's and just wants a plinking gun looks on their dealers shelf and sees a $600 Carbon 15 (Buds has them for $588 shipped) next to a $1,200 Colt and they don't see a difference. So they go to the internet to find out. They don't understand they could build a real AR15 with good parts for just a few dollars more.
I know it's not a Bushy lower. Whether Vulcan, Bushy, or Plum Crazy; they are all still a plastic lower. For just a coule $$'s more you can have a quality lower. The Smith Sport would be perfect for the OP and can be had for $600 quite regularly.
Old 07-30-2011, 13:30   #13
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

I am not sure why you would want to go with a polymer AR lower when most in the industry (such as Larue, Noveske, etc) are actually beefing up the AR lowers.

I would hold out for a little bit more and get a new forged Noveske Gen II lower if it were me.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 18:23   #14
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I know it's not a Bushy lower. Whether Vulcan, Bushy, or Plum Crazy; they are all still a plastic lower. For just a coule $$'s more you can have a quality lower. The Smith Sport would be perfect for the OP and can be had for $600 quite regularly.
Show me pictures of a Bushmaster Carbon 15 broken like the Vulcan.

I did a Google search and couldn't find any.

So I don't think Bushmaster Carbon 15 needs to be put in the same group as a Vulcan plastic receiver.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 23:28   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I find it utterly hilarious that Mattel Toy owners are trying to say that a bit more plastic is bad for the gun.

My Mattel Toy is a true Mattel Toy with plastic receiver and all. It still chucks lead downrange. It's cheap & light just like the original AR.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00   #16
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

There's a reason the Carbon-15 is not widely popular, and the regular AR15 is.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 14:37   #17
Mike M.

thanks guys, im not so sure about the carbon anymore but id like to look into the cav arms lower to put on a regular ar... the main thing is i want something none of my buddies have already, they have varying branded ars and all that some have add ons but im also looking to keep a very clean and sleek appearance (like the carbon 15)
Mike M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 15:21   #18
Facejackets

Palmetto State Armory middy build kit - $499
LRB/Aero lower - $80-89
That is a FAR better option that ends up being cheaper.
Old 07-31-2011, 16:21   #19
boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
thanks guys, im not so sure about the carbon anymore but id like to look into the cav arms lower to put on a regular ar... the main thing is i want something none of my buddies have already, they have varying branded ars and all that some have add ons but im also looking to keep a very clean and sleek appearance (like the carbon 15)
Different and sleek makes me think billet. Not cheap, but certainly will get what you are after without having a plastic lower.
Old 07-31-2011, 17:33   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
There's a reason the Carbon-15 is not widely popular, and the regular AR15 is.
Because the cool operators don't use them?