Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:44   #1
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Pot, Concealed carry and the Supreme Court

http://www.oregonlive.com/argus/inde...r_countys.html

This one basically must go before the Supreme Court before too long.

Cop turned down CC permit because applicant uses medically prescribed pot. Federal law states no one who uses controlled substances is allowed to possess a firearm (or ammo for that matter).

This needs decided one way or another.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49   #2
Just1More

Pot is evil. Everybody knows that!
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
http://www.oregonlive.com/argus/inde...r_countys.html

This one basically must go before the Supreme Court before too long.

Cop turned down CC permit because applicant uses medically prescribed pot. Federal law states no one who uses controlled substances is allowed to possess a firearm (or ammo for that matter).

This needs decided one way or another.
It would have to be a wildly activist, left-wing court to decide in favor of the applicant/felon. The statute clearly makes him a prohibited person and the constitution doesn't give him a right to smoke dope. Seems like they should have just gone ahead and sent him to prison, when he admitted he owned a gun.

I can't think of any serious legal basis for deciding in his favor. Not even close. They say the argument is that Oregon law superseded the federal statute.

Really? A high school kid, or even a high school-kid, should know better than that.

Last edited by Bren; 07-29-2011 at 08:31..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:56   #4
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It would have to be a wildly activist, left-wing court to decide in favor of the applicant/felon. Seems like they should have just gone ahead and sent him to prison, when he admitted he owned a gun.

I can't think of any serious legal basis for deciding in his favor. Not even close.
State law allows for medical pot. This is, to me, literally a state Vs federal debate.

My guess is that this one will be the state winning if for state issued prescription for pot only. That's just my guess, though.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
State law allows for medical pot. This is, to me, literally a state Vs federal debate.

My guess is that this one will be the state winning if for state issued prescription for pot only. That's just my guess, though.
How can the state EVER win a state law vs. federal law issue, when the constitution that the Supreme Court interprets has clearly said federal law is superior, since before Oregon existed? There is simply no valid state vs. federal argument in favor of the state.

Quote:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.
This is literally equal to the state claiming that their law against rap music is superior to the 1st amendment or their ban on all guns is superior to the 2nd amendment.

Last edited by Bren; 07-29-2011 at 05:01..
Old 07-29-2011, 05:07   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
How can the state EVER win a state law vs. federal law issue, when the constitution that the Supreme Court interprets has clearly said federal law is superior, since before Oregon existed? There is simply no valid state vs. federal argument in favor of the state.

This is literally equal to the state claiming that their law against rap music is superior to the 1st amendment or their ban on all guns is superior to the 2nd amendment.
I know all that and I don't see how anyone could justify it either. That doesn't change my opinion that if/when some years from now a similar case ever gets accepted by the S.C. that it's going to be decided in favor of the State law.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:17   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I know all that and I don't see how anyone could justify it either. That doesn't change my opinion that if/when some years from now a similar case ever gets accepted by the S.C. that it's going to be decided in favor of the State law.
If I was going to bring a futile marijuana legalization case to the supreme court, I would at least argue that the government lacks sufficient interest in controlling marijuana to overcome the right to privacy (on which birth control was legalized) and that criminalizing intra-state drugs use exceeds Congress's commerce clause jurisdiction (like nearly all federal criminal law).
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20   #8
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
If I was going to bring a futile marijuana legalization case to the supreme court, I would at least argue that the government lacks sufficient interest in controlling marijuana to overcome the right to privacy (on which birth control was legalized) and that criminalizing intra-state drugs use exceeds Congress's commerce clause jurisdiction (like nearly all federal criminal law).
That might very well be the arguments. I don't know.

As I said, this one needs to get decided one way or another.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21   #9
RyanBDawg

At least when they enacted the prohibition of alcohol they had the decency and intelligence to make it a constitutional amendment..

Last time I checked the constitution says nothing about pot.. But it does say that all powers not listed in the constitution go to the states to decide (ie drug laws)

So the government should have the decency to put all their zany, confusing "drug" laws right there in the constitution.. Or admit that what they are doing is unconstitutional and therefore should be left to individual states to decide.

Of course, that's never going to happen. Because the beast known as Fedzilla is a difficult animal to kill..

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry

Last edited by RyanBDawg; 07-29-2011 at 05:24..
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:24   #10
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
At least when they enacted the prohibition of alcohol they had the decency and intelligence to make it a constitutional amendment..
That's because, as recently as the 1920's, even Congress thought that making criminal laws about things going on within a state exceeded federal jurisdiction. The Supreme Court later convinced them they could do anything they want.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37   #11
MrsKitty

No quotes. See the copyright sticky.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47   #12
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKitty View Post
No quotes. See the copyright sticky.
Wrong thread. Oops.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:48   #13
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKitty View Post
Wrong thread. Oops.
Wow, had me confused for a minute there
Old 07-29-2011, 15:31   #14
jhoagland
Lifetime Membership
That's right!

Send a message via AIM to jhoagland Send a message via Yahoo to jhoagland
Pot should be treated just like booze. Period.

Originally Posted by Arquebus12
Moral ambiguity is an asset in a combat situation... makes fragging a viable option.

Hagens believe in kicking a man when he's down.
jhoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:41   #15
unit1069

Federal law preempts state law, if the feds decide to challenge the ruling and the USSC takes the case.

Interesting, isn't it, that blue state judges invariably rule that federal law preempts state law whenever the issue is illegal immigration; yet when Leftist causes/issues like medical marijuana --- as in this case --- prompt the same judges to declare state law supreme to federal law?

This case is further evidence of why everyone who cares about personal freedom needs to vote in the 2012 elections. America is only one Stephen Breyer-like US Supreme Court justice away from having all individual Second Amendment rights struck down. Jurists like Breyer think the constitution means anything they say it does, without regard to precedent or the written historic record of the Founding Fathers themselves. America needs to ensure that the next president will appoint a learned and principled jurist to a vacant seat on the Court, not an ideologue whose guiding principle is extending State control over everyone and everything.

Last edited by unit1069; 07-30-2011 at 07:42..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote