SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:50   #1
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Government actions in a SHTF scenario?

So the SHTF big time. Let's say that a comet strikes in the Indian Ocean and the resulting waves destroy much of the worlds coastlines. The extreme heat of the comet causes non stop heavy rain that lasts for 6 weeks and destroys all of the crops that are planted, here in the U.S. it's July 8th so our harvest will not exist. Mudslides have filled rivers diverting them in some cases and wiping out bridges with debris in others.

What actions do you think that the government would take to ensure the continuation of the United States and it's citizens?

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:01   #2
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

They'd deploy the .mil where locals couldnt hack it.

I doubt 8 weeks of rain would destroy everything, rice crops sure as heck would survive. Heavy damage, but hey. We'd recover.

They'd raid all their nuke recovery assets to get MREs passed out where needed, shoot looters, impose martial law where necessary.

Me, I'd hang out at home and listen to the radio.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:02   #3
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

In a SHTF .gov historically tends to become public enemy.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 13:40   #4
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

tagged.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 14:05   #5
Black Smoke Trail

The government would not do much if anything immediately productive. Pretty much what the NOLA PD did during Katrina would be my speculation. I agree with the above the government would b enemey #1 or #2 later on when they likely start confiscating resources, arms, and ammo.
Old 07-30-2011, 14:35   #6
ancient_serpent

In your given scenario (I am assuming that much infrastructure is left intact further inland) I would assume the following:
-full National Guard, Reserve call up and deployment
-Martial law in urban areas, curfew
-formation of camps for displaced persons
-formation of detention facilities for displaced criminals along with those brought in by local and Federal forces (looters etc)
-medical treament facilities at the same
-seizure of any major food stuff, fuel, etc reserves
-if the flooding affects D.C., I would expect a relocation of the seat of government
-Possible border closures
I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot, but I think the short list I made includes likely actions.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 16:01   #7
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
In your given scenario (I am assuming that much infrastructure is left intact further inland)...

That's right, inland 6 weeks of 24/7 heavy as you have ever seen it rain would cause a lot of flooding, mudslides and debris surging through river waters taking out a lot of bridges and the like. No crops in the ground survive. (To provide details to the scenario).

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 07-30-2011, 17:13   #8
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
So the SHTF big time. Let's say that a comet strikes in the Indian Ocean and the resulting waves destroy much of the worlds coastlines. The extreme heat of the comet causes non stop heavy rain that lasts for 6 weeks and destroys all of the crops that are planted, here in the U.S. it's July 8th so our harvest will not exist. Mudslides have filled rivers diverting them in some cases and wiping out bridges with debris in others.

What actions do you think that the government would take to ensure the continuation of the United States and it's citizens?
Seriously none.

Chicago recently received 8" of rain in a few hours; parts of Iowa on 6/22-6/23/10 received 10-16" of rain in a day (I remember it specifically since where I live about 150 miles north received 8" of rain on the 24th)

If we use your numbers for duration of heavy rain nonstop for 6 weeks most areas of the U.S could conservatively receive 40-80' of rain (at .5-1" per hour which frankly isn't that much). Even if we say 10' of rain during this period dams are breaking everywhere (think Minot, North Dakota several weeks ago where 12,000 homes were lost), the TVA would be completely destroyed as would all the cities along the river, etc.

At this point the government would take a "save ourselves" attitude or at the very least save who we can where we are at.

Considering its a comet, it would be difficult if not impossible to keep quiet..the government would have a difficult time keeping order before it hits.

On the upside, at least I could quit the job I hate so much

Last edited by pugman; 07-30-2011 at 17:17..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01   #9
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:

Suppositly a plan goes into effect called C.O.G ( continuity of government) If and when the President, Vice President and other major government players may be killed in a SHTF senario. This C.O.G plan gathers a group of scientists, engineers, medical doctors, and other planners to restart government and get a handle on the situiation....now whether that will happen....who knows....maybe that budget was cut too.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18   #10
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_serpent View Post
-Possible border closures
They can't close the border NOW, you think they'll have the resources to do so if there is a global catastrophy?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16   #11
bdcochran

Al Gore would announce that it was a result of global warming.

Senator Schumer would attribute the problems to the Bush tax cuts.

Barak Obama would blame it on George Bush and announce it was time to build the country's infrastructure and generate jobs.

The bottom line is that you are on your own. Your government will do nothing.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Pretty much.'08.

Last edited by kirgi08; 08-03-2011 at 06:27..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28   #13
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
They can't close the border NOW, you think they'll have the resources to do so if there is a global catastrophy?
They can close the border any time that they want. They just don't want to.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:33   #14
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Bingo,they want all those "votes" streaming in.Never mind those types that will detonate bombs ect in this nation.'08.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10   #15
cyrsequipment
Angry

Quote:
They can close the border any time that they want. They just don't want to.
I agree they could do a LOT more but even after 9/11 when the border was "closed", it wasn't even remotely locked down.

Our border with Mexico is massive and we can't patrol every inch of it. And it is still a fraction of the size of our border with Canada and our water borders...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:34   #16
wildcat455

Quote:
All the WRONG ones.

I fully expect things to get worse after a catastrophe than they were before or during the catastrophe.

I have ZERO faith my rights as a citizen and an individual TO JUST SURVIVE let alone my rights as outlined in the COTUS actually matter to ANYONE in charge of our Government. I'll even go as far to say my rights TO SURVIVE or as outlined in the COTUS do not matter to a great percentage of my fellow Americans on a GOOD day, let alone in a tragedy. The evidence of this is there, but you have to wake up and open your eyes to see it.

The situation (Good times or SHTF) is irrelevant. How the Government or we as individuals respond, (Daily or in crisis) is not irrelevant.

In my estimation, the current Government's PRIMARY concern is not for the survival and well being of their citizens, it is only for the survival and well being of themselves individually and as an entity. Preserving their power to rule is job #1, everything else is secondary. Now, if DECENT people were in charge, ruling a DECENT society of people, that wouldn't be so bad.

It's not hard to see where any individual or their rights fit into that.
Even if we perish, they still have themselves to govern. To those in power, all is not lost.

I don't believe the problem is the Government. The problem is the PEOPLE in it. As a society, we alone are collectively and individually to blame for allowing both our Government and ourselves to become warped into what we are today.
We collectively and individually ALLOWED it to happen, therefore, we have no one to blame but ourselves. (Myself included.)

Our ORIGINAL system of government (as intended by the founders and outlined by the COTUS, NOT what we have today, obviously) was a good system, created by decent people with strong moral fiber.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58   #17
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Actually the running theory I have heard is if a large comet or meteor hits an ocean it will throw billions of gallons of sea water, including elements like chlorine and bromine into the ozone layer, which through chemical reactions strip away the ozone.

Its one of the theories why the dinosaurs was wiped off of the planet. The Meteor that hit the Yucatan, would have killed life within the blast radius, but the intense UV radiation would have killed or made sterile exposed plants and animals worldwide.

The animals that would have been more protected were burrowing animals. As the Ozone layer recovered and the UV worked its way to normal, animals with fur, feathers, and scales may have had added protection, then dinosaurs.

If a comet hit the India ocean we may have the same problem. Crops would wither on the vine, and livestock out in the open fields would die. If we had ample notification, Americans might be able to prep for it. If not those who stay in their basement or bunker and have enough food and water to cover them until the ozone layer comes back would survive.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/43996

I would assume just like a nuke attack, they would hussle key politicians to bunkers for government continuity

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 08-03-2011 at 12:01..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56   #18
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

I just wanna keep my guns, my wife, my kid, my dog, and my nintendo 64 and Goldeneye. Maybe GT should have a few meeting places where we could all meet up and start a rebuilding colony for ourselves.
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 19:21   #19
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis11 View Post
I just wanna keep my guns, my wife, my kid, my dog, and my nintendo 64 and Goldeneye. Maybe GT should have a few meeting places where we could all meet up and start a rebuilding colony for ourselves.
Nice avatar. To this day I still remember the code for 30 lives... up up down down left right left right b a b a start...or select start if you want two players... takes me back to the "Nintendo Power" days. Speaking of Nintendo, I have to get mine from my parents and hook it up in my living room!

I don't need N64, but I'm with you on the other stuff. As far as a rebuilding colony...no thanks. I'll take care of mine, you take care of yours and if we happen to meet somewhere, cool. I've met a bunch of GTers...good people for the most part. I've met mostly lurkers though.

As for the government during SHTF situations... I've got more faith that a Leprechaun will ride a Unicorn across the White House lawn than I've got in our government to conduct themselves appropriately and effectively during a SHTF.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52   #20
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Actually the running theory I have heard is if a large comet or meteor hits an ocean it will throw billions of gallons of sea water, including elements like chlorine and bromine into the ozone layer, which through chemical reactions strip away the ozone.

Its one of the theories why the dinosaurs was wiped off of the planet. The Meteor that hit the Yucatan, would have killed life within the blast radius, but the intense UV radiation would have killed or made sterile exposed plants and animals worldwide.

The animals that would have been more protected were burrowing animals. As the Ozone layer recovered and the UV worked its way to normal, animals with fur, feathers, and scales may have had added protection, then dinosaurs.

If a comet hit the India ocean we may have the same problem. Crops would wither on the vine, and livestock out in the open fields would die. If we had ample notification, Americans might be able to prep for it. If not those who stay in their basement or bunker and have enough food and water to cover them until the ozone layer comes back would survive.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/43996

I would assume just like a nuke attack, they would hussle key politicians to bunkers for government continuity
Who the hell wants to live after that???
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote