Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-01-2011, 15:09   #1
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

I would like to praise the officer that arrested me.

On the morning of July 31st, 2011, I was awoke by a knock at my door. It turned out to be the local PD's warrant officer as I had outstanding tickets that had become warrants for my arrest. Groggy from the night before I immediately began to complain asking if the officer did not have something better to do than arrest non-violent offenders with traffic warrants. I also acknowledged that I did not personally blame him, he was just doing his job and I was just venting against a system that has it priorities all wrong.

So how did the officer react to this criticism? He treated me like a fellow human being. He allowed me to get properly dressed, let my dog out to do her business, let me make sure she had food and water, and even allowed me to smoke a cigarette before handcuffing me, taking me into custody and delivering me to the local jail.

Regardless of the circumstances, this was the best treatment I have ever received from a police officer and despite what I believe to be a wasted application of department resources, the officer deserves to be praised. However, I hesitate to inform his superiors of his civil treatment of me. Will they see it in a positive light as I do, or will it just get him in hot water?

I know I got the tickets, didn't pay on time, the warrants are my fault etc. This officer was a gentlemen and I just can't decide if that will get him in trouble or not. Maybe I should just go out of my way to thank him personally and not inform his bosses?
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 15:15   #2
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member

You know, they no longer give out bonus points for beating suspects but I'd still blow him in to his superiors!
GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 15:22   #3
Phelen_Kell

Your cooperation was thanks enough. He probably didn't want to arrest you anyway.
Phelen_Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 15:45   #4
Vigilant

Most people are quick to criticize, but slow to praise.

I would send the letter.
Old 08-01-2011, 16:23   #5
phred119

Agreed, complimentary letters have been few and far between for me. But I truly appreciated the one the I did get. Take the time to write a letter and send it in. If you think that the details the he allowed you to do certain things will get him in hot water, leave them out. Just a simple letter that he was polite and professional, and that you appreciate being treated with respect.
phred119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:28   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Send a letter.

-texmex
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:30   #7
Trigger Finger

Times must be tough when they allow arrestees on Cop Talk!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 08-01-2011 at 16:31..
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:35   #8
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post

Regardless of the circumstances, this was the best treatment I have ever received from a police officer
Have alot of run ins with the po po do ya?

"This thread didn't take long to go full retard." -Nevermore1701
rhikdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:42   #9
Markasaurus

Leave the muckety-mucks out of it! Nothing good will come for him, or you, even if you give GOOD feedback. try and thank him personally but not too hard, he might think you're a nutcase if you go overboard.
Markasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:58   #10
glockurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Most people are quick to criticize, but slow to praise.

I would send the letter.
I agree. A citizen commendation will go to his file and reflect well on his evaluation.
At least that's the way it works around here.
Old 08-01-2011, 17:17   #11
Vigilant

It could help him in several ways. And I agree that I would leave the specifics out. I would basically just say that that I was impressed with his professionalism, and the reasonable amount of empathy that he displayed.

I promise, no jokes about ass beatings from me in this thread.
Old 08-01-2011, 17:52   #12
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

What the Hell, he didn't fix you breakfast while you took the dog out, and had your smoke??? Sounds like a decent guy anyway. Real human being. Just don't piss him off.
Old 08-01-2011, 20:48   #13
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
Times must be tough when they allow arrestees on Cop Talk!!
I expected at least one response like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhikdavis View Post
Have alot of run ins with the po po do ya?
And like this. As a youth I had several run ins with johnny law. Sometimes I was in the wrong sometimes I wasn't. As an adult only for traffic warrants. I will admit I am no fan of the po po as you put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markasaurus View Post
...try and thank him personally but not too hard, he might think you're a nutcase if you go overboard.
No chance of that. He asked about my younger brother who is in fact actually a certified by multiple judges nutcase. I'm way sane in comparison. Even the jailers where asking me how he was so bonkers and I wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
What the Hell, he didn't fix you breakfast while you took the dog out, and had your smoke??? Sounds like a decent guy anyway. Real human being. Just don't piss him off.
I swear man he might as well have. I asked him for his name while he was cuffing me. He responded and then I told him that I felt like I should call whoever usually takes complaints on an officer, and instead compliment him. He reiterated that he was just doing his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
...I would basically just say that that I was impressed with his professionalism, and the reasonable amount of empathy that he displayed...
In closing I appreciate the advice. As recommended, I'm going to send his superiors an email and a letter indicating what Vigilant said leaving out the details. Again, I want to praise this officer without getting him in trouble.

Last edited by juggy4711; 08-01-2011 at 20:52..
Old 08-01-2011, 20:49   #14
mikegun

Believe me, in my old Dept a nice letter goes a long way in helping a carrear along, send it and thanks, for being a good american
Old 08-01-2011, 20:51   #15
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
I expected at least one response like this.

And like this. As a youth I had several run ins with johnny law. Sometimes I was in the wrong sometimes I wasn't. As an adult only for traffic warrants. I will admit I am no fan of the po po as you put it.

No chance of that. He asked about my younger brother who is in fact actually a certified by multiple judges nutcase. I'm way sane in comparison. Even the jailers where asking me how he was so bonkers and I wasn't

I swear man he might as well have. I asked him for his name while he was cuffing me. He responded and then I told him that I felt like I should call whoever usually takes complaints on an officer, and instead compliment him. He reiterated that he was just doing his job.

In closing I appreciate the advice. As recommended, I'm going to send his superiors an email and a letter indicating what Vigilant says above leaving out the details. Like I said I want to praise this officer without getting him in trouble.
Good on you, man.
Old 08-01-2011, 21:21   #16
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegun View Post
Believe me, in my old Dept a nice letter goes a long way in helping a carrear along, send it and thanks, for being a good american
I appreciate that but is respect for LEOs a uniquely American sentiment? As I admitted I am no fan of the police. While I respect you for the risks you undertake, I understand the need for your existence, and would rather not live in a world without you; I can't help but look to laws that many of us find unjust and unconstitutional. That if it were not for law enforcement, more often than not at the local level, willing to enforce them, those laws would never effect our lives.

I'm really not trying to take a shot here. That is just how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelen_Kell View Post
Your cooperation was thanks enough. He probably didn't want to arrest you anyway.
I hear you but my cooperation wasn't enough. I genuinely feel like he wasn't into to it but heck it is what it is, and I think you guys get a bad rap. Every time something goes out of the ordinary it's front page news and y'all get the blame. Nine times out of ten (and often more just an expression) y'all are in the right.

As I said I'm not your biggest fan but I fear a world without you. And as anathema as it may feel, I would encourage you to enforce the law only as it meets the Constitution and your conscious. The letter of the law is not always just, and its execution is not always judicious.

May God protect you all.

Last edited by juggy4711; 08-01-2011 at 21:22..
Old 08-01-2011, 21:51   #17
NC Bullseye

Did ya count your silverware after you were out with the dog?
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 21:54   #18
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Almost makes me WANT to get arrested. Only thing is I don't know if they could get both my arms behind my back without the assistance of a chiropractor or some pain pills. Damn is sucks getting old.
Old 08-01-2011, 23:22   #19
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Where am I?
Old 08-01-2011, 23:48   #20
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Ron1 View Post
Where am I?
Your under arrest. Now the only question is, are you going quietly like Juggy, or do we make a suitcase out of you?