Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16   #1
allrad

Re: Worth looking at

Well I certainly got some responses to what I thought was an interesting system. Seems like some people just want to be negative for negative's sake only. I'm not "afraid" of the "C&L" look or of any of the other suggested reasons given in the responses to my post. I think it does have some advantages that should be investigated, instead of just dismissing it out of hand.
If your pistol should ever be taken away from you, especially if you're a LEO who is in a tussel, where that's usually what the bad guy tries to do, the inability to cock the hammer, rack the slide, or pull the trigger, could give at least some time to respond instead of just being shot. The Highpower story does not say if the system had been installed by a smith or the owner of the guns. If there is definitive proof that the system is not what it's presented to be, I would like to see that evidence before I do put it into my gun.
Until then, I am keeping an open mind and trying to find out all I can about this system.
allrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36   #2
bac1023

If you try it, I wish you luck. Its just not for me.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39   #3
TKR Reptiles
Thread Killer

It is a simple answer. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a 1911 C&L the way it was designed, you should carry something else. Plain and simple.
TKR Reptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR Reptiles View Post
It is a simple answer. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a 1911 C&L the way it was designed, you should carry something else. Plain and simple.
I certainly agree, Trent.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:44   #5
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrad View Post
Well I certainly got some responses to what I thought was an interesting system. Seems like some people just want to be negative for negative's sake only. I'm not "afraid" of the "C&L" look or of any of the other suggested reasons given in the responses to my post. I think it does have some advantages that should be investigated, instead of just dismissing it out of hand.
If your pistol should ever be taken away from you, especially if you're a LEO who is in a tussel, where that's usually what the bad guy tries to do, the inability to cock the hammer, rack the slide, or pull the trigger, could give at least some time to respond instead of just being shot. The Highpower story does not say if the system had been installed by a smith or the owner of the guns. If there is definitive proof that the system is not what it's presented to be, I would like to see that evidence before I do put it into my gun.
Until then, I am keeping an open mind and trying to find out all I can about this system.
Quote:
Should be deleted
-----
Last edited by allrad; Today at 07:32.. Reason: shouldn't have been sent
Must be some kinda zombah thred!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

What about the Colt Double Eagle DAO thta is currently in the Colt catalog?

I kid, I kid!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:08   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I see this as a fix to a non-problem.

If you think it would suit you, great! Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
No need to get bent over comments posted, opinions are opinions, NOT personal attacks on YOUR opinion!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13   #8
nolt
DONT PANIC!

Quote:
Seems like some people just want to be negative for negative's sake only.
quite a number of people that carry and/or shoot 1911s have strong opinions about them with regards to any number of subjects.

some of them are based on knowledge and experience and some are not, but whether they are or not... i would disagree that negative comments are for 'negative's sake only.'

some people are resistant to change. some people are totally against it. some changes to the design are improvements. the majority of changes imho do not seem to be improvements.

edit: in most cases even if its something i disagree with i would say "interesting... thanks for the link" but in this case you've taken the link away.

...also:
1911 Forums

Last edited by nolt; 08-03-2011 at 09:20..
nolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22   #9
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
Quote:
If your pistol should ever be taken away from you, especially if you're a LEO who is in a tussel, where that's usually what the bad guy tries to do, the inability to cock the hammer, rack the slide, or pull the trigger, could give at least some time to respond instead of just being shot.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. In BOTH cases, the thumb safety has to be disengaged for the weapon to be fired, along with the grip safety. In this sense, it wouldn't matter if the C&S kit was installed or not. A normal 1911 won't go bang unless the bad guy disengaged both safeties.

Think about it again...it's a stupid system that has no actual purpose, other than to be a gimmick to make money.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41   #10
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
allrad, the HiPowers I bought with the SFS system came that way directly from FN Herstal...new in the box, consecutive SNs.

One of them is still in that configuration and I can reproduce the lockup pretty much at will.

Rest assured, if my experience with that system had been positive, I'd have reported that, as well. I can't do any better than tell you first hand what happened with it while engaged in SD-type shooting, not standing in front of a target punching holes.

One thing I didn't say is that, the lockup problem notwithstanding, the safety is awkward to disengage even under 'normal' use, even after hundreds of drawstrokes to get accustomed to the feel of it.

You, of course, are free to do as you see fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921

Last edited by rvrctyrngr; 08-03-2011 at 09:42..
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16   #11
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
If your pistol should ever be taken away from you.....
I've heard this statement as a "pro" for other things like mag safeties as well. During a struggle for a firearm, does a person really want to disable their weapon and just let it go into the hands of the badguy? If your struggling to get it back and you win, you've now disabled your own gun which is now equally useless to you or will take extra time to get it back in the fight. If a gun is just snatched out of a holster or hand and the person didn't get a chance to engage the disabling device, I don't see how it proved to be useful.

BTW, if your gun is well concealed and you need to use it in a defensive scenario, you should never let anyone get close enough where they could snatch it out of your hand. A struggle without drawing your weapon will leave it in the holster exactly the same way you put it in there.

Putting the safety up on a 1911 would have the same effect as the SFS system. The exception is that the SFS system is quite easier to accomplish this which may actually be a bad thing

In reality, the system was design for those that fear a cocked back hammer. If your scared of a cocked back hammer, carry something else.

I would be willing to bet that people wouldn't have a problem with C'd & L'd 1911s if they where made like this, even though there is still a cocked back hammer inside that cannot be de-cocked.....
1911 Forums

ETA: I wish the above wasn't so darn expensive since I think its a pretty great concept. I'd own one if they weren't $3500. It could be a big brother to my 1903.

1911 Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 08-03-2011 at 10:37..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25   #12
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Delete

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 08-03-2011 at 10:26..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54   #13
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR Reptiles View Post
+1

SFS systems are just plain useless. They "fix" a problem that doesn't exist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
That makes absolutely no sense at all. In BOTH cases, the thumb safety has to be disengaged for the weapon to be fired, along with the grip safety. In this sense, it wouldn't matter if the C&S kit was installed or not. A normal 1911 won't go bang unless the bad guy disengaged both safeties.

Think about it again...it's a stupid system that has no actual purpose, other than to be a gimmick to make money.
+1 again...

They offer nothing from an officer safety standing point over a C&L 1911.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:52   #14
drc767
Navy CSAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
+1

SFS systems are just plain useless. They "fix" a problem that doesn't exist...

+1 again...

They offer nothing from an officer safety standing point over a C&L 1911.
Sure it does.....it puts the "poor" bad guy on an equal footing with the LEO when the SFS system fails. I find absolutely ZERO positives about that system. It is a "feel good" system for the politically correct, at best. At worst, it will get you killed if it malfunctions.

drc767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14   #15
boomhower

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but am failing miserably. The most common LEO gun out there is a Glock. I would say 99.9999% of LEO's carry with one in the tube. If it goes, the bad guy has to just pull the trigger. The 1911 has two safeties that need to be disengaged. It may look "dangerous" with a cocked hammer but that's just perception of the uninformed, at least that what it seems to me.

It seems that I am only getting half the story so I apologize if this has already been beaten to death somewhere else.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around this but am failing miserably. The most common LEO gun out there is a Glock. I would say 99.9999% of LEO's carry with one in the tube. If it goes, the bad guy has to just pull the trigger. The 1911 has two safeties that need to be disengaged. It may look "dangerous" with a cocked hammer but that's just perception of the uninformed, at least that what it seems to me.

It seems that I am only getting half the story so I apologize if this has already been beaten to death somewhere else.
Yeah, the whole concept is just ridiculous, in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56   #17
allrad

If they came direct from the manufacturer how do you know they were the C&S system? Perhaps they were not.
allrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 15:08   #18
CMG

First rule when you find yourself in a hole:

Stop digging!
Old 08-03-2011, 15:24   #19
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post

Stop digging!
Wait, I thought you were suppose to dig faster to get to the other side?
Old 08-03-2011, 15:26   #20
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post

Stop digging!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
Wait, I thought you were suppose to dig faster to get to the other side?