Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-03-2011, 17:14   #1
2TheRange

Hornady XTP .45 230gr; no Bullseye?

I have reloading data from my Speer manual for a 230gr JHP using BE but I can't find any data using it for the XTP. I got some of these bullets on sale and am comfortable starting with minimum loads, but am curious why Hornady omits data using BE. Found this thread that shows the Hornady manual.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-needed-42866/

Something wrong with BE for this bullet?
2TheRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:30   #2
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TheRange View Post
I have reloading data from my Speer manual for a 230gr JHP using BE but I can't find any data using it for the XTP. I got some of these bullets on sale and am comfortable starting with minimum loads, but am curious why Hornady omits data using BE. Found this thread that shows the Hornady manual.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-needed-42866/

Something wrong with BE for this bullet?
Not at all, BE is fine under the XTP. There are something like 20 powders that will happily run a 230grJHP in the 45acp & BE is like 1000yrs old, it's why Jack still uses it. You obviously need another manual, everyone should have at least 2. You can go to the Alliant site for data as well. I am not a fan of starting data, but just up from average starting should run any 45acp. When you are done playing w/ BE, go try some WST.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-03-2011 at 17:31..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:47   #3
2TheRange

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Not at all, BE is fine under the XTP. There are something like 20 powders that will happily run a 230grJHP in the 45acp & BE is like 1000yrs old, it's why Jack still uses it. You obviously need another manual, everyone should have at least 2. You can go to the Alliant site for data as well. I am not a fan of starting data, but just up from average starting should run any 45acp. When you are done playing w/ BE, go try some WST.
Thanks! I do need another manual. WST...I see Hodgdon supplies Winchester power now but they don't show WST or which power replaces that.
2TheRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 20:14   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TheRange View Post
Thanks! I do need another manual. WST...I see Hodgdon supplies Winchester power now but they don't show WST or which power replaces that.
The Hodgdon site lists WST in their data for the 45acp.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote