Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2012, 21:53   #1
GlockPistola

Recommend me a First Aid Kit

Been looking around for the most comprehensive First Aid Kit for when the SHTF or a natural disaster. Lots of options out there. I know whatever I end up getting, I would probably have to supplement with additional items. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Last edited by GlockPistola; 08-18-2012 at 22:55..
GlockPistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:11   #2
bdcochran

different response

I cannot recommend a particular commercial product.

I will relate my learning curve because it might be of assistance.

I started with something like the Red Cross first aid kit. Then I had a surgery coming out of the army and realized that I needed more than a first aid kit. When shtf, you needed multiples of things like dressings and would be on your own. You don't get enough cover in depth from a first aid kit.

So, I started canvassing the local drug stores and would buy items when they were on sale. Certain items would not go bad, ever. I also noticed that some of the first aid items would end up on the discounted, sale shelves of the local supermarkets.

I also observed what the local doctors kept in the examining rooms. Some of the non prescription items were not available normally in the local pharmacies, so I would go on line and order from medical supply houses.

One day, I asked a doctor in a four person satellite unit of UCLA what he would do if he ran low on supplies (and this unit was nearly forever out of liquid nitrogen, a routine product used in doctor practices) and his response was that he would order from the warehouse.

My local pharmacy doesn't have enough first aid supplies on hand to even deal with a catastrophe if it was limited to just the 12 homes on my block. So, yes, you will have to supplement your first aid kit.

My "first aid kit" is now very extensive. I also have a supply of my medicines either refrigerated or in a freezer unit. Most pharmacies are on a just on time basis. Like most of the other people out here, I ask for prescription renewals early and build up a supply.

Last edited by bdcochran; 07-23-2012 at 04:11..
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44   #3
FireForged
Millenium #3936

go to adventuremedicalkits and built your own. Great stuff there. Check out the "refill" or "repack" area.

Last edited by FireForged; 07-23-2012 at 09:45..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47   #4
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Make your own!
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 13:09   #5
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post
Make your own!
This.

Second - take a few basic courses and you can get a feel for what is worth having, what isn't, and what you can supplement with other things.

What I did was take a few Red Cross courses when they were available. These classes won't make you an EMT but you will probably have more training than 90% of the country.

Then, I walked into a Walgreens and spent about an hour just walking from aisle to aisle picking and choosing stuff. It was expensive to build but it contains everything I want
Old 07-23-2012, 20:09   #6
iamhistory

Unless you plan on paying thousands of dollars potentially, there is no commercial kit that will be as comprehensive as one you can make yourself.

I and others on the forum have made their own with great success.

My wife smiles and rolls her eyes when I put the kit in her car when she goes somewhere without me...."just in case because you never know."

The other day she was glad she had it as she went with a friend and each family's children to ride bikes. I put the kit in her car "because you never know" and her friend's little girl crashed her bike and took the handle bars to the head. My wife took out the kit to stop the bleeding and it helped get everyone calmed down until they got the girl to the local emergency care center. She was cleaned up, stitched up and then they all went for ice cream. I saw her mom a few days later and she thanked me for having a first aid kit that had "everything in there!" She said it put her mind at ease and even her husband said it inspired him to get his worked on as he'd been meaning to make a real kit and hadn't done it yet.

Made me feel good that my preps actually got to be used and they performed as planned and made a bad situation better.

Make your own. Most anything else is a waste of money and limited in its effectiveness.
Old 07-23-2012, 21:33   #7
GlockPistola

Thanks guys. I'll take your advise and start making my own. I looked at several options and they all seemed lacking.