Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:40   #61
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Nice trial run!

Sounds like the IL appreciate your combined skill-sets..

.. & the need to crank it up a notch!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25   #62
Glocktastic

Awesome. It sounds like you have a sweet setup, and a good trial run.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:20   #63
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:20   #64
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
Don't miss my point....its possible...crazy, ludacris....but possible.

100% taxation would support the government.

If you use 2010 numbers of 2.14 Trillion in income vs 3.4 Trillion in expenditures doubling income would more than cover.

However, over the next 30 years the fed has $150 trillion in obligations...at 30 years...that is a cool $5 trillion a year. To make matters worse we aren't figuring in inflation and interest....call it $5.5-$6 trillion for good measure.

If the fed ate up about 40% of GDP would cover its costs. All along representatives would have their golden medical coverage plans and starting salaries placing them in the top 7-8% of the nation.

Like I said...its possible...although if they instituted a flat 40% tax across the board I doubt it would be collected long....
They may get their 40% of the pie but that pie is gonna get smaller every year.

Rush Limbaugh
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34   #65
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

They say timing is everything.

We're on virgin ground here so it would be impossible to criticize your alarm. The safest bet is that things will continue to decline (however you define that) for at least a decade.

The funny thing about financial crisis is it happens all of a sudden. Like watching a flock of blackbirds suddenly change course midflight, the markets suddenly decide they don't like something and the situation changes seemingly overnight.

Now in retrospect there were always warning signs. Obvious indications that problems were on the horizon. But for most, normalcy bias makes them invisible.

Kudos to you for the dry run. Sounds like your family certainly enjoyed it. Though this may not be an acute event there may be one on the near horizon. Your skids are greased.

But did ya have to give away all your firewood?

Rush Limbaugh
Old 08-16-2011, 07:37   #66
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
Well there back home,my kid finished the archery course and spent a ton of time fishing and tracking.The wife filled 2 cards on her digital camera and introduced the in-laws in how ta clean/skin and prepare game.FIL was ok with it,MIL was squeamish at first but got the hang of it.It was kinda suggested she may need this skill or go hungry down the line.

Problems:

There were a few,one of the coleman lanterns had bad pump "O" rings,my kid showed the ILs how ta replace it.

Next, on inspection of the chimney a critter had gotten thru the mesh and taken up residence,a small fire in the stove moved them along.I'll repair that next week.

BIG problem on the last day they found evidence of someone shooting out there,I'll call a wildlife officer that's a friend and ask him ta keep an extra check.

Since it's a wee bit higher out there it takes a little longer ta cook rice/beans and ta bake bread/cake in the dutch ovens,they were using a firepit ta cook the whole time

Water:We have a well with a solar b/u and the solar panel needs ta be moved,I underestimated the growth of certain trees and will havta adjust the location.

Power:They fired up the diesel and then took a hike,they were trying ta see how far the noise sig carried,not far-about 30yrds,I built a military type baffle system for it-problem is the exhaust smoke-I'll figure that out.Fuel is 2yrs old and it fired rt up.

Access:Our vehicles got right out there,the ILs couldn't for the stream,AWD CRV,answer they need a decent,real 4wd,Kat had the Jeep,no probs.

Health:The actually gained a little weight even with all the activity: 2000cal base diet.

Comms:The cbs were spotty during the daylight,I attribute that ta the solar activity.It's reeking havoc on our work radios also.

Upside:

They worked as a team without me there ta couch,some would say DI them.
They worked on fire drills and unwanted company drills-I might add the dogs weren't out there,I needed them here when I was at work.

Skills:

They taught the ILs howta start fires with a blastmatch/9v steel wool/flint@steel and with zippo fluid.Howta build a birds nest and how/where ta find dry tinder.

Shooting:

Kat taught basic rifle with the 10/22s we brought out there,we also introduced them ta the joys of a AR-7,that'll take some work.

Pistols:Ruger mkIIs they all shot well with them,we moved them up ta a DA/SA ruger .38 police and started them out on SA then moved up ta DA,my MIL shoot that pistol better than my FIL did,he's aaahhh irritated,I expect there will be more "private" range time.

Blades:My kid showed them the basics of knife sharpening and safety,not bad for 11yo.I'll handle the axe and maul myself.Saws are also on the list.

Leisure:Card games/board games chess/checkers are a life saver in those type of scenarios.We have all the above x2.

Synopsis:

I believe this was a success and would encourage all folks ta try this with there families and take notes,Kat used a pocket recorder and took notes just ta be safe.All comments are welcome.Thanks.'08.
Awesome Kirgi!

Rush Limbaugh
Old 08-16-2011, 08:00   #67
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Thanks my friend,I want a critique and welcome all questions/comments.This was set up by Kat and I,I wasn't there,we set up the agenda and they went with it.I respect any and all opinions,afaik,were the only ones ta run this type of scenario and I'd like a 360 degree perspective of it.Thanks for your time.'08.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:11   #68
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Thanks my friend,I want a critique and welcome all questions/comments.This was set up by Kat and I,I wasn't there,we set up the agenda and they went with it.I respect any and all opinions,afaik,were the only ones ta run this type of scenario and I'd like a 360 degree perspective of it.Thanks for your time.'08.
I gotta be honest with you. You have me wanting to go spend a week or two out at Camp Kirgi

Rush Limbaugh
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23   #69
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

No little ds allowed.You got mail,folks post up,all comments are needed.'08.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:41   #70
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I really like what you did. I think of it the same as when my wife and I started long distance motorcycle riding. Every time that we went on a trip we would modify our list of what came with us and what stayed home, many items we just needed to buy better quality (I only buy once know). It's not about quantity, it's about having the right stuff in the right quality, sounds like you have that under control.

It sounds like you learned some things about your equipment in the real world and you can't beat that. We are going to make a test run soon for bugging in as opposed to bugging out (you inspired us), I am going to pull the main breaker for a long weekend before it gets cool out and see what happens.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 08-17-2011, 11:54   #71
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Let us know how it turns out.We run "lights out" at least 2 times a year,once in the winter and 1 more random time during the year.

CF,we didn't give away the fire wood,if we really havta bug out we will.We can't really haul 14 cords of wood.'08.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:57   #72
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I gotta be honest with you. You have me wanting to go spend a week or two out at Camp Kirgi

Come on up,we'll see if'n we can understand each others accents.'08.

Old 08-17-2011, 13:13   #73
quake

Quote:
Good luck with that. I've been 30 years right here in Texas and Arkansas, and I still can't understand people from Louisiana half the time.

"Oooohhhh! Da's a biggis insect! Choot 'im & throw it in de pot!"

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-17-2011, 13:19   #74
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Old 08-17-2011, 14:08   #75
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I don't have an accent.

Rush Limbaugh
Old 08-17-2011, 14:09   #76
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Good luck with that. I've been 30 years right here in Texas and Arkansas, and I still can't understand people from Louisiana half the time.

"Oooohhhh! Da's a biggis insect! Choot 'im & throw it in de pot!"
You oughta see us trying to program some voice command thing.

Rush Limbaugh
Old 10-20-2011, 23:34   #77
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

We got snow hitting our northern counties,we are gonna run another "retreat" cycle.My home is in Leicester NC,the bol is in Madison NC.Kat is out there as I type.I'm gonna go on batt power at 6am.I'm here with no power/upcoming and planning on solar/batts ta power what I need.I won't fire up the genny unless it's an emergency.Gas/wood stove ta cook,I'll use the stove over the range.I can get wood outside,I however can't depend on a "gas" delivery.We have a source of ng here,not there.So let's see how this goes.'08.

Last edited by kirgi08; 10-22-2011 at 00:50..
Old 10-21-2011, 07:56   #78
Dexters

ta....
Old 02-10-2012, 23:47   #79
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28   #80
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Closed Thread