Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2011, 17:50   #1
poodleshooter1

Thinking of stocking some Vodka for barter

I drink it myself anyway, and it can be used for other things as well. For less than $90 I can get SIX 750ML bottles of decent vodka (I like it).

Is that enough or should I get more? If more, how much more?
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:02   #2
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

will work good when the Russians take over.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:09   #3
lethal tupperwa

just what you need drunk looters

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:08   #4
tobias boon

Drunk looters would be easier to defend against.
tobias boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:19   #5
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

OP: personally I would suggest more. History suggests that things like booze and cigarettes are helpful barter items in SHTF and aftermath.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:09   #6
Rogue
X-MEN

How much bartering are you planning to do? I would get more if you are seriously considering this as a bartering tool in SHFT. 6 bottles has the bartering power of, umm, let's see, about $90 - maybe a little more if you're lucky. Whoopie. I would advocate the purchase of several cases if you are able. It will keep a long time, and will likely never go to waste. It will never get any cheaper either. Just sayin' . . .

Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 22:14   #7
poodleshooter1

Alright, I'll pickup some more. I have other things to barter as well, just wanted to diversify...
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16   #8
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
How much bartering are you planning to do? I would get more if you are seriously considering this as a bartering tool in SHFT. 6 bottles has the bartering power of, umm, let's see, about $90 - maybe a little more if you're lucky. Whoopie. I would advocate the purchase of several cases if you are able. It will keep a long time, and will likely never go to waste. It will never get any cheaper either. Just sayin' . . .

When planning for SHTF it is helpful to detach from dollar reconciliation of "price". Absent central planning, price discovery is more varied and takes place at point-of-transaction. For example, an individual has no vodka and regards it highly. This individual has an item "worth" more than $90 (ie: original FRN price tag exceeded $90). He may well be willing to trade it for one bottle of vodka if he has no other access to vodka and the item he possesses is of lesser value/utility to him (or if he has more than one of the item in question). An example of this would be the siege of Stalingrad where wealthy urbanites were trading jewels and furs to the peasants in the countryside for bags of potatoes. The relative value of given commodities changes dramatically in post-SHTF based on differing sets of price-discovery and utility mechanisms in a context of scarcity vs abundance. This is one of the chief arguments behind including alcohol and tobacco as part of one's preps. Small luxuries have historically proven to be of great barter value. Also included in this category are chocolate/cocoa, women's stockings, safety razors, canned/preserved fruit, etc. Preps should not be limited to what is purely utilitarian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43   #9
RatDrall

I would buy the case of 6, just to keep for my own use. I've read that real life SHTF can be extremely boring, hot, uncomfortable, etc.

Last edited by RatDrall; 08-08-2011 at 05:44..
RatDrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40   #10
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodleshooter1 View Post
Alright, I'll pickup some more. I have other things to barter as well, just wanted to diversify...
Maybe you'll should get some other types of booze and start a neighborhood bar. In the gold rush days a pinch of gold got you a drink.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:42   #11
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
When planning for SHTF it is helpful to detach from dollar reconciliation of "price". Absent central planning, price discovery is more varied and takes place at point-of-transaction. For example, an individual has no vodka and regards it highly. This individual has an item "worth" more than $90 (ie: original FRN price tag exceeded $90). He may well be willing to trade it for one bottle of vodka if he has no other access to vodka and the item he possesses is of lesser value/utility to him (or if he has more than one of the item in question). An example of this would be the siege of Stalingrad where wealthy urbanites were trading jewels and furs to the peasants in the countryside for bags of potatoes. The relative value of given commodities changes dramatically in post-SHTF based on differing sets of price-discovery and utility mechanisms in a context of scarcity vs abundance. This is one of the chief arguments behind including alcohol and tobacco as part of one's preps. Small luxuries have historically proven to be of great barter value. Also included in this category are chocolate/cocoa, women's stockings, safety razors, canned/preserved fruit, etc. Preps should not be limited to what is purely utilitarian.

Great point, BWS -- totally sensible and reasonable, and well worth documenting for the record...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:15   #12
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

Here's how I answer my own" how much question".

Do I use it?
how long is shelf life?
How much do I normally consume?

Stock an amount close to your total use for the normal shelf life.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:49   #13
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Friend of mine single-hand sailing to French Polynesias. Guess what was the first thing the locals traded away from him? His Mexican tequila. They didn't want his money. They wanted his booze. He'd have been much better prepared if he'd stocked more liquor.

Sorry to say he traded it for virtually nothing in return, being the typical American tourist. I think he got bananas and a home-made dictionary in return. Oof.

Last edited by Bolster; 08-08-2011 at 11:50..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:45   #14
Donn57
Just me

Liquor is a great thing to stock for barter. Rather than stocking all vodka, tho, I'd stock other varieties. Sure, someone who really needs some liquor will probably settle for vodka, but if you have what they really want (e.g,. scotch or tequila), it will be worth more to them.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:13   #15
Aceman

Alcohol is a high utility item period.

trade
external wound cleaning
anesthesia
utensil cleaning
fire starter (if high enough octane)
improvised weapon
and of course, good old personal entertainment value!

Last edited by Aceman; 08-08-2011 at 15:15..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 20:16   #16
Rogue
X-MEN

Quote:

I agree with the above - and others who have said to diversify the collection. I still say more than 6 bottles if you can manage though.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rogue; 08-08-2011 at 20:16..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 20:56   #17
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Well, yeah, but it IS helpful to have a starting point. Then get whatever you can. Basic negotiating skills are a GREAT survival skill. For everyday or SHTF.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote