Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:24   #1
.45 guy

Stalking advice

Ok, my knees are junk, So using a climber for bow season is out. I may be able to pick up a ladder but doubt it. So, I was toying with making a ghillie type jacket and spot stalking. Any advice?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40   #2
lwt210

I found that I could stalk hunt deer with ease in the rain.

Anything from light rain to downpours. I would move extremely slow though and I was a good bit younger back then.

Not sure if your knees could take that kind of slow movement, crouching, carrying gear. Not sure I could handle it now that I am 41.

But back then, if it was raining, I could sneak around the woods and not worry about crunchy leaves and sticks giving my position away.

I would only do this on private land that wasn't being hunted by other hunters. I was always hyper concerned about other hunters and checked and re-checked the area prior to stalking. Checking for parked pick up trucks was a good indication of the presence of other hunters.

I'd also wear the required orange hat or vest.
Old 08-08-2011, 13:26   #3
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
I make a ladder stand out of an aluminum ladder and a piece of plywood bolted to it just high enough to get over the scrub brush. If you want to ground hunt we do all the time on public land. Forget the suit it will hang up on everything. walk until you find some scrapes and rubs and find a spot to sit down wind and be still and if you want get a portable ground blind <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 14:55   #4
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45 guy View Post
Ok, my knees are junk, So using a climber for bow season is out. I may be able to pick up a ladder but doubt it. So, I was toying with making a ghillie type jacket and spot stalking. Any advice?
Why not get someone to help you set up a ladder stand (or a ground blind brushed in) before you plan on hunting the area.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2011, 21:09   #5
noway

If your knees are junk now, I highly doubt you can cover a lot of ground on foot. Just saying.....

As far as stalking, 2 things comes to mine from my own experiences;

1: Every other animal might see you, way before you see it and that includes squirrel, turkeys,deers,etc..

Squirrels are know to call the alarm and every other animal will know something is not right, and giving off your position. While your looking ahead & down, you need to also look up and take note of limb rats.

2:stalking in rain is good, but deer are not stupid and don't tend to really move unless they have to during a rain down pour.

One advantage after the rain, the leaves,grass,etc.. are moist so they don't crumble and make as much noises, but guess what? The deer is also quiet and don't make a lot of noise. So you can easy stumble on top of deer or past a deer.

keep those 2 above in mind when trying to stalk on the ground.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 22:33   #6
.45 guy

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of making a sort of brush blind. I think it's still early enough to get away with that. (as far as scent goes).
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39   #7
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
look at these and see if it will work for you

http://www.cabelas.com/ground-blinds.shtml
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16   #8
.45 guy

I thought about ground blinds, but sitting that low to the ground would be difficult for long periods.