Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14   #1
RussP

Will events in England influence behavior here in the US?

Been thinking about this. My vote is yes, it maywill embolden the current crop of instigators and escalate the level of behavior.

Am I wrong?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20   #2
FearTheBoomAndBust
Transfered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post

Am I wrong?
No, your most likely right unfortunately.

LE has to be proactive to prevent it from getting to the stages it has reached in England

From Booze and Guns to Presidents and 2 other guys!
FearTheBoomAndBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00   #3
Napalm561

With the recent "flash mob" violence that has happened in places like Wisconsin, I don't see any deterent from UK style rioting getting started in the US. I havent heard of any reprocussions for any of the Wisc. perpetrators, but then again, I don't watch much TV news.

Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.
Napalm561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:28   #4
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

This has happened here, Canada several times, think Rodney King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5ogOH82Aw.

The biggest issues are that possible consequences will not outweigh the benefits of the group mayhem, and society cannot/will not pay for managing the crisis logistically in a timely fashion, or to quell it in the beginning.

What is the worst that will happen, get arrested, spend the weekend in jail? After 6 months to a year when/if it goes to trial the result will be probation. The court appointed attorney doesn't cost a whole lot either, and why pay fine and court costs... at least here the court will suspend the already suspended driver license, and make a negative entry on their poor credit history.

In the end, the new TV is in the living room, and insurance companies and society will foot the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47   #5
RussP

Philly Announces Youth Curfew to Combat Violent 'Flash Mobs'

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/09...#ixzz1UYDGXxCW

So, a kid violates curfew, what happens? Are parents held responsible? Put them in jail (if they aren't already) and see if that has any effect.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50   #6
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm561 View Post
With the recent "flash mob" violence that has happened in places like Wisconsin, I don't see any deterent from UK style rioting getting started in the US. I havent heard of any reprocussions for any of the Wisc. perpetrators, but then again, I don't watch much TV news.
There would likely have been instant repercussions if that had not occurred in a gun free zone.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23   #7
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Actually, I think the *********gery that runs rampant over here influences other countries.

Plus, our little troublemakers are too ****ing stupid to switch to CNN, FOX, or read a newspaper. They're too busy banging hos, using bath slats, and collecting my tax dollars to fund their next purchase of 26" rims.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53   #8
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Actually, I think the *********gery that runs rampant over here influences other countries.

Plus, our little troublemakers are too ****ing stupid to switch to CNN, FOX, or read a newspaper. They're too busy banging hos, using bath slats, and collecting my tax dollars to fund their next purchase of 26" rims.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

"*********gery" I love it. I'm gonna use it.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:29   #9
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Some differences. For one, we have people who will use appropriate measures (including firearms) to defend themselves and their businesses. Two, different methodology and response to rioters (not water cannons but lots of deterrant/tear/OC agents used).

Then again, we have people who will riote when their favorite thug club, err, sports team, wins a championship.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45   #10
fastbolt

Well, I remember the rioting here in the late 60's.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 08-09-2011 at 12:45..
fastbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45   #11
Patchman
Florist

Definitely LE and civic leaders in this country would be remiss if they didn't at least have contingency plans in place.

I still remember photos of the L.A. riots with the Korean store owners on rooftops protecting their stores.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-09-2011 at 12:46..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:48   #12
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

I hate to be a MMQB, but the English police were way too passive in their response and now stuff is just out of control. Saw a report to day that their Lord High Superintendant of Her Majesty's Royal Police Forces or whatever they call the top cop over there was still refusing to deploy water cannons against the rioters. That's just silly, but the British of today are a mush- brained, lilly- livered, spineless people compared to their ancestors who created an Empire upon which the sun never set.

It's one thing to have hit and run attacks in which the mob is gone before the police arrives, as we've seen over here this Summer, as opposed to ongoing groups of rioters staying put in the street and waiting to confront the police. The actions of the English police that I've seen videos of in response to that type of confrontation are weak. I'd like to think that law enforcement in the US is much better prepared to respond with force in a similar situation.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49   #13
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Well, I remember the rioting here in the late 60's.
So which did you enjoy more from the 1960s? The riots or the free love movement? California in the '60s... jeez.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:51   #14
Patchman
Florist

And the top London cop recently resigned over the NOTW phone tapping scandel. So the Force was probably leaderless, which certainly didn't help.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-09-2011 at 12:52..
Old 08-09-2011, 13:09   #15
bccop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
I hate to be a MMQB, but the English police were way too passive in their response and now stuff is just out of control. Saw a report to day that their Lord High Superintendant of Her Majesty's Royal Police Forces or whatever they call the top cop over there was still refusing to deploy water cannons against the rioters. That's just silly, but the British of today are a mush- brained, lilly- livered, spineless people compared to their ancestors who created an Empire upon which the sun never set.

It's one thing to have hit and run attacks in which the mob is gone before the police arrives, as we've seen over here this Summer, as opposed to ongoing groups of rioters staying put in the street and waiting to confront the police. The actions of the English police that I've seen videos of in response to that type of confrontation are weak. I'd like to think that law enforcement in the US is much better prepared to respond with force in a similar situation.

They will not use gas. They also have no firearms to support their riot troops. They need permission from upper managagement to use less lethal (ARWEN) which is ridiculous because by the time they get permission the situation requiring it is over. As a result their police getting treated like punching bags and the rioters can throw stuff at them (molotovs, fences, rocks, etc) with nothing happening to them.

During our riot one of our tac support guys went through two entire vest load outs of munitions (40 rounds of 40mm)

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 08-09-2011 at 13:11..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:11   #16
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

I wonder if they have considered importing some Israeli Police to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:16   #17
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
So which did you enjoy more from the 1960s? The riots or the free love movement? California in the '60s... jeez.
Me? Aside from LA, the riots were worse further East.

I liked the attention the muscle cars received on the West Coast, like Ford and even Buick making "California Special" versions of a couple of their popular cars. I was in HS at that time, so the beaches, cars and pretty much everything else made the West Coast a fun place to live and get summer work back then.

It was a far different place than nowadays.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:20   #18
RogueUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
It's hardly a new thing - the people on the front line are fearless but the people giving the orders refuse to give the orders necessary. The top policeman has effectively said "get a grip, lads, it's hardly a proper rebellion now, is it?" and is leaving them too it. The Prime Minister has told them to use "robust policing" but nobody will clarify what "robust" means. The policeman who tries to use his initiative and be "robust" without signed and sworn and sealed Rules of Engagement WILL end up jobless and with a criminal record to appease the masses. It's traditional.

Since the Crimean war, people have described the British as "lions led by donkeys". You're seeing it in action as we speak
Old 08-09-2011, 13:41   #19
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

If Obama is re-elected, count on it. The man is a complete buffoon and will lead this country to disaster. The experiment failed, we all got a good laugh, now lets elect a real leader.
Old 08-09-2011, 15:34   #20
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
DING DING DING, we have a winner.

"*********gery" I love it. I'm gonna use it.
Just give me credit.
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote