Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-11-2011, 21:07   #1
mike g35

1911 for USPSA SS division/ suggestions

I want to get a 1911 for USPSA single stack division competiton. I used to own a Taurus and I briefly had a Rock Island Armory. They were both chambered in 45acp but if I can get one chambered in 9mm or even better 40 cal thats what I would like to do this time. Not that the 45acp isn't a fantastic round it just doesn't lend itself to shooting fast when compared to the 9 or 40. What manufacturer and what model do you suggest for this purpose and why? I want to keep my investment to a minimum like under $1200. I like the S&W's but only because I shoot a 627pc in revolver (ICORE) matches. Anyone have any experience with the S&W pro series 1911 in 9mm? Have you shot any 1911 9's with loads that make major PF?
Old 08-11-2011, 21:13   #2
Quack
Rent this space

STI Trojan can be had in .40 and 9mm. Hey also have a contingency program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 21:14   #3
Quack
Rent this space

unless the rules changed, you can't make major with 9mm unless you're shooting open.

Old 08-11-2011, 21:33   #4
mike g35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
STI Trojan can be had in .40 and 9mm. Hey also have a contingency program.
I know STI makes some great guns but is the Trojan up to par with the rest of their offerings? What about the Spartan? The thing is, no matter what 1911 I get I am going to send it off to Bruce Warren at BC Armory for some custom work and some tuning. I like to make good guns into great guns and after the job Bruce did on my S&W627pc revolver I wouldn't trust my gun in the hands of anyone else.
Old 08-11-2011, 21:38   #5
Quack
Rent this space

The Trojan is nice. The Spartan is a RIA tactical built to STI's specs
What type of work are you going to have done? Have you thought about having a gun built?

Old 08-11-2011, 21:52   #6
mike g35

I was just thinking about a trigger job and some other basic tuning work. And no I haven't even considered having one built. Reason being when I started building glocks (which I do myself) I ended up with every bell and whistle out there on the first one and then I built (and still am building) 4 more that were more "to the point" but still cost me alot. I have spent over $8000 on 5 Glocks for competiton this year and it's only August. To get into that with the 1911 platform (that costs even more) would probably bankrupt me. I am the type that will spend way to much on a build and I know it so I am leaning more towards a high quality factory gun. I think the STI Trojan may suit my purposes.
Old 08-11-2011, 21:55   #7
Quack
Rent this space

There's also the STI USPSA model

Old 08-11-2011, 21:57   #8
Hokie1911
><><><><><

$8k on 5 Glocks?

The Trojan is a solid choice. Great gun.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:29   #9
denn1911

The STI Trojan is a nice pistol and should serve you very well. Without trying to go off-topic, what did you put into your Glocks that they averaged $1,600 each?
denn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:34   #10
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

IMO, 9mm (minor) is the way to go for single stack. Because of production and Limited-10 divisions, stage designers are typically of the 10 round friendly mindset. Typically you give up more on the 2 round capacity than you do for major / minor scoring. (Of course the single stack nationals is the exception, as it's designed exclusively for single stacks).
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45   #11
71Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
IMO, 9mm (minor) is the way to go for single stack. Because of production and Limited-10 divisions, stage designers are typically of the 10 round friendly mindset. Typically you give up more on the 2 round capacity than you do for major / minor scoring. (Of course the single stack nationals is the exception, as it's designed exclusively for single stacks).
It's supposed to be 8 rounds per array. Not 10.

Unless you can shoot all A's while shooting minor, you're going to be at a BIG disadvantage.

I own 13 1911's and the one I shoot in SS is my STI Trojan.

1911 Forums
NRA member
71Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03   #12
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
I know STI makes some great guns but is the Trojan up to par with the rest of their offerings? What about the Spartan? The thing is, no matter what 1911 I get I am going to send it off to Bruce Warren at BC Armory for some custom work and some tuning. I like to make good guns into great guns and after the job Bruce did on my S&W627pc revolver I wouldn't trust my gun in the hands of anyone else.
If he's going to be doing the work, why don't you ask Bruce? He might have an opinion on a base gun.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:12   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Commander View Post
It's supposed to be 8 rounds per array. Not 10.
I won't argue that (with emphasis added). However, that's not what I've been seeing, local or major matches. My buddy won Single Stack at Area 8 last year shooting minor. He felt it was a big advantage.

Quote:
Unless you can shoot all A's while shooting minor, you're going to be at a BIG disadvantage.
You should be shooting all As anyway.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14   #14
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
I would probably get a Trojan in .40/.45 to make major. The only advantage of the 9mm is lower recoil, but you'll be shooting minor. You would also get to load to 10 rounds instead of 8. I like shooting 9mm though, but I just do it for fun anyway.

Last edited by polizei1; 08-12-2011 at 07:14..
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25   #15
71Commander

Quote:
I won't argue that (with emphasis added). However, that's not what I've been seeing, local or major matches. My buddy won Single Stack at Area 8 last year shooting minor. He felt it was a big advantage.

The way that works out is at port A, you can see T1-2-3-4-5. Which is 10 shots. When you move to port B, you will be able to take T5 from there along with T6-7-8. So you can shoot 1-4, go to the next view and shoot 5-8.

You shouldn't see T1-5 from one spot and not be able to see T5 from another spot.

The only Division doing static reloads are Revo shooters, which I are one.
NRA member

Last edited by 71Commander; 08-12-2011 at 07:27..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32   #16
blownhemi

Quote:

You should be shooting all As anyway.
My thoughts exactly.

In theory you should be able to shooter faster and more controllable with the lower power factor gun. So more alpha's.

The reality seems to be that many shooters go for major power factor and just shoot bat**** fast, accepting whatever score they get down range.

I kind of like the controlled option better.

Having said that, we don't have Single Stack here yet but it looks like IPSC is just about to start a Classic Division next year (basically IPSC single stack) and it should be interesting.

I'm going to look at the Spartan and Trojan. I like the Trojan and have shot it a couple times, but it's hard to beat the price of those Spartan's and being 9mm I'm already set-up to reload. If I was going to get the Trojan it would be in 38 Super.
blownhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39   #17
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
The way that works out is at port A, you can see T1-2-3-4-5. Which is 10 shots. When you move to port B, you will be able to take T5 from there along with T6-7-8. So you can shoot 1-4, go to the next view and shoot 5-8.

You shouldn't see T1-5 from one spot and not be able to see T5 from another spot.

The only Division doing static reloads are Revo shooters, which I are one.
I understand how it's suppose to work. Even if done that way, sometimes it is an advantage to take the 10 rounds from the first position. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46   #18
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the S&W pro series 1911 in 9mm? Have you shot any 1911 9's with loads that make major PF?
The Pro series dresses up really nice for SS Division. Pictured here with Wilson low mount safety, C&S drop in trigger kit, Caspian Dorsal Fin GS, Dawson Sights, and Dawson Magwell.

1911 Forums
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14   #19
polizei1
It WAS Quack

Send a message via AIM to polizei1
What is the difference in 9mm and .38 Super? I know you can get more velocity with near the same pressure, but what else? Unless I'm wrong, both will be minor in SS, both limited to 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to get a Trojan in 9mm/.38 Super for USPSA. So what's the real difference? Brass is harder to find and I would have to buy new dies with .38 Super.

Last edited by polizei1; 08-12-2011 at 10:14..
polizei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16   #20
71Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizei1 View Post
What is the difference in 9mm and .38 Super? I know you can get more velocity with near the same pressure, but what else? Unless I'm wrong, both will be minor in SS, both limited to 10 rounds.

I'm hoping to eventually be able to get a Trojan in 9mm/.38 Super for USPSA. So what's the real difference? Brass is harder to find and I would have to buy new dies with .38 Super.
Cost more to shoot with no advantage in scoring.
NRA member