Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2011, 13:23   #61
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
I may have a false sense of security but I believe the possibility of things like that happening in Florida or Texas may be more remote. If it did happen here though, with the number of armed citizens we have, two things could happen: it will either end quickly and people would dissipate or it would be horrible and bloody. I donít want to be present to find out which.
From what I have seen neither FL nor TX ranks particularly high in terms of the % of the population licensed to carry a handgun. The highest were PA, SD, IN, OR...and a couple other I forget. TX was in the bottom. Primary reasons: You can have it in your car without a license, the CHL is rather expensive, training is required (and also costs $).

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 14:51   #62
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
From what I have seen neither FL nor TX ranks particularly high in terms of the % of the population licensed to carry a handgun. The highest were PA, SD, IN, OR...and a couple other I forget. TX was in the bottom. Primary reasons: You can have it in your car without a license, the CHL is rather expensive, training is required (and also costs $).
Texaas law has changed on carrying in the car. Texas law allows carrying in your car if you are "travelling". That term is not defined in the law, and case law varied. The change was IIRC that the law now presumes you are travelling and the state has to prove otherwise. Doesn't mean you will not take a ride, but you might beat the wrap(sp?) if you are not licensed.

Before there was CHL a lot of people carried in their car. Most did not get charged with it unless they made trouble for themselves. Problem was that in some areas the color of your skin might be causing trouble for yourself.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 16:01   #63
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Texaas law has changed on carrying in the car. Texas law allows carrying in your car if you are "travelling". That term is not defined in the law, and case law varied. The change was IIRC that the law now presumes you are travelling and the state has to prove otherwise. Doesn't mean you will not take a ride, but you might beat the wrap(sp?) if you are not licensed.

Before there was CHL a lot of people carried in their car. Most did not get charged with it unless they made trouble for themselves. Problem was that in some areas the color of your skin might be causing trouble for yourself.
The more I learn the worse TX laws turn out to be

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 08-16-2011, 16:38   #64
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
The more I learn the worse TX laws turn out to be
Maybe because what you just read is a little less than correct.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...-gun-laws.html

Links to the statute are included in the link. Basically......

Quote:
Legal, stowed weapons okay in vehicle
Reacting to Texas prosecutors who'd continued to arrest legal gun owners in spite of the Legislature's intent in a bill from 2005, this year the Texas Legislature set in stone the rights of legal gun owners to carry a weapon in their vehicle without violating the law. (Regular readers may recall The New York Times profiled the bill and discussed a public policy report I wrote on the subject.) The new statute says an individual cannot be charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon (UCW) in their personal vehicle unless:

the handgun is in plain view (not found as a result of a consent search),
the person is engaged in criminal activity other than traffic violations,
the person is legally disallowed from owning a weapon (e.g., past criminal convictions), or
the person's name is in the state of Texas' criminal street gang database.

Otherwise, if the weapon is concealed on your person or somewhere in the vehicle out of plain sight, and none of the other restrictions apply to you, it's now legal to carry a handgun in your car. N.b., even with the passage of this new law, the safest bet in Texas to avoid being hassled over your weapon is to get a concealed carry license. Then you're home free no matter what and don't have prosecutors sitting around thinking up reasons to apply exceptions to this new statute.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 16:58   #65
Maikeli7

Used to live in an environment prone to this. I got the heck out. Moved to a semi-rural, gun-loving, self-sufficient-type place where people will defend themselves and their loved-ones with deadly force. I fit right in!
Old 08-16-2011, 17:52   #66
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

I wondered.

Old 08-16-2011, 18:01   #67
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
History has shown that dropping a few REALLY slows the attitude down.

I love you man!!!!
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 18:09   #68
Misty02

Quote:
You may be right; we can legally carry in our home and can have a firearm in the vehicle without a license as long as it meets the securely encased requirements. Many are content with that and donít take the next step to get their license. We only have 843,463 (-93,722 out of state) licensees in the state; 76,466 of them in Miami-Dade County and 66,706 in our neighbor county of Broward.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 22:16   #69
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

Thanks for the correction. I have a CHL so I didn't follow the changes for non-license holders well enough. I was thinking of change in 2005. I remember that the Harris County DA was skirting the intent of the old language.

At least the changes to the carry laws have continued to improve the rights since we got a shall issue CHL law. The pre-CHL "travelling" language was very vague, and purposefully so in my opinion so the local authorities had a lot of leeway in enforcing the law. People forget that restrictive carry laws were put into place to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong people" (like freed slaves). The politicians who claim to be fighting for the people who were repressed with those laws are the same ones fighting to keep those repressive laws in place.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51   #70
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Thanks for the correction. I have a CHL so I didn't follow the changes for non-license holders well enough. I was thinking of change in 2005. I remember that the Harris County DA was skirting the intent of the old language.

At least the changes to the carry laws have continued to improve the rights since we got a shall issue CHL law. The pre-CHL "travelling" language was very vague, and purposefully so in my opinion so the local authorities had a lot of leeway in enforcing the law. People forget that restrictive carry laws were put into place to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong people" (like freed slaves). The politicians who claim to be fighting for the people who were repressed with those laws are the same ones fighting to keep those repressive laws in place.

From what I remember if the news around the time this went into effect, it didn't matter what color you were if you had one in Houston. Haven't been there in many years.

Anyway. I still advise friends to Get a CHL.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 22:52   #71
2c5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw View Post
. The second part is.....lexus gs400 with 3:92 rear, stock supra posi rear pumpin, apexi cat-back, srt cold air and piggy back, 3000 stall, and nitto tires on gs300 rims. Goes 13.3 in the quarter with a crappy transmission, which retards timing between gears. Thats a fast way to exit a riot area with 4-doors and a baby seat in the back!!!
Is that supposed to be impressive?
STI Shadow 3" 10mm, SA micro compact 10mm
STI Eclipse 3" 2011 10mm
2c5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45   #72
Akita
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
So I live less than a few miles from one of the top ten most dangerous and "urban" areas in the country, but right on the edge between the city and country. My neighborhood borders a cotton field... If London-style riots occur... my plan is to send the wife and kids the opposite way to stay with her parents, who live about an hour away in "real" country and are well armed and stocked with supplies. My neighbor and I plan on staying with our longarms and defending our homes for as long as possible. If we get completely outnumbered, we will climb into his 4x4 and head out across the cotton field where he will drop me off with the rest of the family and continue on his way to his own safe house...

Do you live in a vulnerable area? Do you have a plan? Do you have weapons? What will you do?
Move.
Survival/Preparedness os about seeing Risk an minimizing or eliminating it.
Get a new job at lesser pay if you have to. Or ask yourself what you life if worth per year.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54   #73
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw View Post
my vote for this post is 2 different items.....One, Mr. remington 870, glock 31, and sporterized to the max enfield .303(beyond fast shooter, no recoil, 10rd mag, very accurate) and the winny 94. The second part is.....lexus gs400 with 3:92 rear, stock supra posi rear pumpin, apexi cat-back, srt cold air and piggy back, 3000 stall, and nitto tires on gs300 rims. Goes 13.3 in the quarter with a crappy transmission, which retards timing between gears. Thats a fast way to exit a riot area with 4-doors and a baby seat in the back!!!

Wow! You can handle FOUR weapons, AND drive?
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43   #74
bdcochran

My response

I will take each day as it comes.

In 1963 I was driving a salesman on his route in a bad section of Los Angeles. I was instructed to drive to the nearest police station if I had an accident and not to stop.

Life is still the same OP.

When I was about 8 years old, there were two girls murdered and left in the woods behind the elementary school. I did some caculations and concluded that at least one kid from an elementary school would be murdered or molested each year. And, it turned out to be true. Even when my kid was going to an elementary school in a good neighborhood, it was true years later.

You will always have serial killers, maurauders, flash mobs, low lifes, child molesters.

Be alert and don't obsess.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19   #75
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
Wow! You can handle FOUR weapons, AND drive?
Why? Can't you?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 17:49   #76
psk1

The rioters in London were anarchist and were looking for their free handouts and when Goverment had to cut back they went looking to get them on there own. in our country some of them will have guns and will be looking for more. so it could get worse here but only in commercial district.
psk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36   #77
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk1 View Post
The rioters in London were anarchist and were looking for their free handouts and when Goverment had to cut back...
Rioters claimed to be anarchists but their actions show the opposite. Anarchism advocates the abolition of government - to protest for more government goodies is not the action of an anarchist; at least not an intellectually-honest anarchist.

It's the action of a violent parasite.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:22   #78
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

They have no idea what true anarchy is. It's the same as these wannabe gangsters trying to act hard. Get them in a real bind and watch them cry for mommy.

In true anarchy, most of these so called anarchists would not live past a few minutes as the real thugs of the world start killing, looting, raping, and doing what they do in a lawless world. The flip side would be some fed up citizen emptying his shotgun into the crowd and killing Bobby Bedlam and his friends.

These kids would beg any semblance of government to save them.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, riots