GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 17:08   #1
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Safariland holster gurus.....

I have a 6280 in STXTAC for my duty 1911/Xseries.

1. I think it sits too far away from my body with the regular UBL that it came with.

2. I don't like all the forward cant it has. I would prefer straight vertical draw or even a degree or two of negative cant.

There is an attachment that all our swat guys are using with their 6320 holsters to switch from belt to thigh carry. It appears this attachment allows the holster to ride a little closer to the body and is adjustable for cant. Is this true?

Or is there a way for me to take the old leather shank from an old thumbbreak safariland and swap it on to my 6280 so its closer to the body?
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 17:18   #2
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Is this an option?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/d....aspx#tactical

Or this?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/qls.aspx

Not sure which one would be more applicable.

It's going on a Bianchi Accumold 2.25 inch (I think) belt. I'm a lefty.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 22:41   #3
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
From what I can see on my old 6285 with the two set screws on top to the new ubl 6285, the body attachment points don't look compatible. I'll do another check tonight when I get home.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37   #4
rookie1
Senior Member
 
rookie1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 741
DBBR gets off around 3am. I think he knows a little about these holsters.
__________________
"If you feed a zombie the brains of an obama supporter the zombie will starve. " silentpoet
rookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01   #5
PAPACHUCK
Senior Member
 
PAPACHUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Who Dat Nation
Posts: 2,270
The old style UBL had an offset bolt pattern that isn't compatible with the newer 3-bolt pattern. All current duty holsters (6280,6360, etc) share mounting pattern and are interchangable only with each other.
__________________
Certified Glock and Bushmaster Armorer

GT S/P Code: 18SE-AdeGi (eh..who cares now)
PAPACHUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:59   #6
Bodyarmorguy
Senior Member
 
Bodyarmorguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I have a 6280 in STXTAC for my duty 1911/Xseries.

I don't like all the forward cant it has. I would prefer straight vertical draw or even a degree or two of negative cant.
Kinda like this?? An older Safariland out of my collection.

Cop Talk

Last edited by Bodyarmorguy; 08-14-2011 at 07:00..
Bodyarmorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:52   #7
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
From what I can see on my old 6285 with the two set screws on top to the new ubl 6285, the body attachment points don't look compatible. I'll do another check tonight when I get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
The old style UBL had an offset bolt pattern that isn't compatible with the newer 3-bolt pattern. All current duty holsters (6280,6360, etc) share mounting pattern and are interchangable only with each other.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1 View Post
DBBR gets off around 3am. I think he knows a little about these holsters.
I was waiting for him to chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyarmorguy View Post
Kinda like this?? An older Safariland out of my collection.

Cop Talk
Yeah. Not quite so much negative cant but you sure get the idea.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
I know the new plastic cheapie UBL is meant to be the base that you can put on all the other holster bodies, including the 6004/6005 tac series. In theory, it's like the Blackhawk system where you can have tons of mounting options on your SERPA, including shoulder and vest.

But I don't know if Safariland actually sells the bodies and mounts separately the way Blackhawk does.

The old style solid belt mount with the impossible to thread tunnel and 2 allen head screws on top mounts to the holster body in a way that was not meant for them to be separated... easily... and I would say from taking another look that it's probably going to be a no go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28   #9
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
I run the QLS on my range belt with a 6004 thigh shroud (single strap) and DFA. It's a good setup for the range.

The QLS IS cant adjustable to a limited degree, HOWEVER it puts the gun considerably farther away from the body, in my opinion. Such is my experience when using it on a thigh rig. I think that on a UBL it would ride even farther away, and to the best of my knowledge the only way to attach the QLS to a standard belt is by attaching it to an existing UBL.

I think that the holster riding farther away from the body is more of a function of the molding of the holster than of the design of the UBL. Obviously the UBL "bumps out" a little bit where the screws attach, but my money says it would actually be less comfortable if it didn't. If a person wanted to adjust for cant, they could (possibly) very carefully drill additional, perhaps conjoining holes on the UBL that would allow the cant to adjust (kind of like the Serpa belt loop has).

Otherwise, you might try ordering the old style shank, but I've never found them that comfortable. CopQuest sells them:

http://www.copquest.com/23-2400.htm (item 5)
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49   #10
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
The -5 UBL with the 1.5" drop does kick the holster out quite a bit. It puts the butt of my pistol at 15 degrees out and at least a good inch out or more away from my body. The -5 series of duty holsters are specifically designed to do that in addition to the extra drop, according to safariland, for females who need the clearance for their hips and for discerning men like me who don't like bending my arms up and tight to draw.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10   #11
Kahr_Glockman
Senior Member
 
Kahr_Glockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,754
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
females who need the clearance for their hips and for discerning men like me who don't like bending my arms up and tight to draw.
Bull****, your a girl.....
__________________
Quote:
Sam Spade
You want to discuss things, or do you want to act like a Democrat and argue by soundbite?
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:56   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor
 
lawman800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out the frying pan & into the fire!
Posts: 37,488
Blog Entries: 1
Don't forget I have nice legs too!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron:
I've said it before and I'll say it here: they'd look better with lividity.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 21:07   #13
EA Sports
Senior Member
 
EA Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 211
What about this?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p...aspx?pid=567BL

I've got a 6280 on one and wear it on a normal belt when I'm in my outer carrier and don't want to wear a full duty belt. It definitely brings it closer in and you can adjust the cant.
__________________
Semper en excrementum. Sole profundum qui variat!
EA Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 21:51   #14
madecov
book em' Danno
 
madecov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great State of Confusion
Posts: 3,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I run the QLS on my range belt with a 6004 thigh shroud (single strap) and DFA. It's a good setup for the range.

The QLS IS cant adjustable to a limited degree, HOWEVER it puts the gun considerably farther away from the body, in my opinion. Such is my experience when using it on a thigh rig. I think that on a UBL it would ride even farther away, and to the best of my knowledge the only way to attach the QLS to a standard belt is by attaching it to an existing UBL.

I think that the holster riding farther away from the body is more of a function of the molding of the holster than of the design of the UBL. Obviously the UBL "bumps out" a little bit where the screws attach, but my money says it would actually be less comfortable if it didn't. If a person wanted to adjust for cant, they could (possibly) very carefully drill additional, perhaps conjoining holes on the UBL that would allow the cant to adjust (kind of like the Serpa belt loop has).

Otherwise, you might try ordering the old style shank, but I've never found them that comfortable. CopQuest sells them:

http://www.copquest.com/23-2400.htm (item 5)
I'm running the QLS also. It does cause the weapon to ride further out from the body and as such it doesn't feel as stable. There is a very slight amount of play in the system.
__________________
In god we trust.....all others are suspects.

$20.00 transfers in the Houston area.
[
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:20   #15
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Sports View Post
What about this?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p...aspx?pid=567BL

I've got a 6280 on one and wear it on a normal belt when I'm in my outer carrier and don't want to wear a full duty belt. It definitely brings it closer in and you can adjust the cant.
I ordered two.

One high ride and one with the one inch drop.

The QLS ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks guys! I'll resurrect this thread when its here and on.

__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24   #16
Kahr_Glockman
Senior Member
 
Kahr_Glockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,754
Blog Entries: 1
How stable is the QLS on a Molle attachment?
__________________
Quote:
Sam Spade
You want to discuss things, or do you want to act like a Democrat and argue by soundbite?
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15   #17
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


I guess it would depend on the stability of the molle host.

I would pass.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30   #18
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Sports View Post
What about this?

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p...aspx?pid=567BL

I've got a 6280 on one and wear it on a normal belt when I'm in my outer carrier and don't want to wear a full duty belt. It definitely brings it closer in and you can adjust the cant.
Ok, I got them in today. The 1 inch drop is perfect. It sits quite a bit higher than the UBL but not as high as the 567 without the -1. Much closer to the body and I have the cant fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Those who like a high rise holster close to the body ala the 070, but with a 6280 or 6360....

Check this out as an option. $10 shipped.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 18:32   #19
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,274


Here is a pic.

This is much more comfortable and a better draw (for me)...

I've noticed my FUP tends to drop the hood when I am getting in and out of the car, but I'm in the process of getting rid of the FUP.

Pic.

Cop Talk
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 19:30   #20
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb
 
KiloBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Here is a pic.

This is much more comfortable and a better draw (for me)...

I've noticed my FUP tends to drop the hood when I am getting in and out of the car, but I'm in the process of getting rid of the FUP.

Pic.

Cop Talk
Somebody put your gun on the wrong side of your duty belt!
__________________
*Professional Babysitter*
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:32.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,300
341 Members
959 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42