Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-13-2011, 22:07   #1
LilCop2002

Send a message via AIM to LilCop2002 Send a message via Yahoo to LilCop2002
USAF to POST Cert

All,

Most of you know my USAF Security Forces background, my previous security company, my recent dipping into civilian LE work, and all that jazz. Now that I'm working on the LE Reserves in Alabama to get my feet rewet and in order to make myself marketable (military/civilian alike) next Spring, I've been doing research on the POST certifications.

Thus far, my research has shown me that three states allow an Equivalency of Training (EOT) which would allow me to take the state tests thru the use of a 2-3 week class along with my USAF Security Forces training and experience. So far, Texas, Florida, and Alabama have courses that I may take, but I am unable to find the specific programs and/or the requirements in order to even qualify for the programs.

Any of you have any advice or specific links I might have luck with?

Last edited by LilCop2002; 08-13-2011 at 22:08..
LilCop2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 23:44   #2
trdvet

Your best bet is to contact TCLEOSE (Texas) during regular business hours and ask about the program.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17   #3
LilCop2002

I have no problems contacting the various states mentioned, but I didn't want to waste their time if a friend from this forum, who might have done or experienced this issue, could point me in the right direction.

A good NCO doesn't have to always have all the answers as long as (s)he knows where to look for the information.
Old 08-14-2011, 20:48   #4
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
What agency are you reservng in? Montgomery?
Old 08-14-2011, 21:46   #5
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Did you get hired lilcop?
pal2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 17:21   #6
trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCop2002 View Post
I have no problems contacting the various states mentioned, but I didn't want to waste their time if a friend from this forum, who might have done or experienced this issue, could point me in the right direction.

A good NCO doesn't have to always have all the answers as long as (s)he knows where to look for the information.
The TCLEOSE website has the form and requirements you are looking for. Looks like they just put them on there on 8/10. It's the second thing in the "New on TCLEOSE Web" section.

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/
Old 08-15-2011, 18:58   #7
Malstorme
Bad Influence

As a former AF cop, I'd suggest (as painful as I'm sure you'll find this) to NOT try to skip or waiver a basic police academy simply based on your SP training. There is SO much more that you will learn that isn't covered (or just barely was) in the AF program. There are SO many ways to screw up in this job even WITH an unabridged training program that you don't need to handicap yourself. You may not see it now, but I promise you're cheating yourself if you find a way to skip ahead without having previously completed a full state-certification training program.

Mals
"A man who will resist an officer with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is an outlaw who has no place in world society. His removal is completely justified, and should be accomplished dispassionately and without regret." - Bill Jordan, US Border Patrol
Malstorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:09   #8
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
I agree with Malstorme. Hell if they are going to pay you why not go through the academy and show everyone up?

When I transferred from Mo to KS there was a lot of stuff that wasnt taught in my 1 week academy. Somedays I wish I went to the full academy.
pal2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31   #9
LilCop2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malstorme View Post
As a former AF cop, I'd suggest (as painful as I'm sure you'll find this) to NOT try to skip or waiver a basic police academy simply based on your SP training. There is SO much more that you will learn that isn't covered (or just barely was) in the AF program. There are SO many ways to screw up in this job even WITH an unabridged training program that you don't need to handicap yourself. You may not see it now, but I promise you're cheating yourself if you find a way to skip ahead without having previously completed a full state-certification training program.

Mals
As a former AF Cop, you can relate to what I am about to say:

I am 28 years old with over 10.5 years of service and about to put on Master Sergeant (E-7). While I understand and AGREE with what you're saying, I cannot justify quitting my career, one in which I could definitely see Chief Master Sergeant (E-9) and even retire at the ripe old age of 37, to pursue the full time academy and civilian career.

The few reasons I am even considering this waiver is so that I can have it as another tool under my belt. It would definitely benefit me as a reserve officer, which is a VOLUNTEER and UNPAID opportunity and one that I plan on pursuing here and in my future duty assignments/locations. It would also allow me to apply for other USAF Security Forces job in the future and with it and reserve work combined, I would be a better SF member, it would benefit the SF unit I am working with, and it would assist when I get out in having a heads up should I pursue it full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2511 View Post
I agree with Malstorme. Hell if they are going to pay you why not go through the academy and show everyone up?

When I transferred from Mo to KS there was a lot of stuff that wasnt taught in my 1 week academy. Somedays I wish I went to the full academy.

Noone would be paying for this academy except for me. It would be coming out of my pocket. The cost of the school, travel, lodging, food, and etc. would be all paid by me.

If I am lucky, I would get USAF Tuition Assistance to pay for the course, but I would still pay for the rest of it.

Last edited by LilCop2002; 08-16-2011 at 07:32..
LilCop2002 is offline   Reply With Quote