Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:44   #1
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
Spanking kids?

In light of this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363165
I would like to have a CIVIL debate. Is spanking abuse? Every right minded person knows it CAN be but is it always or is there an appropriate non abusive way to administer it?

EDIT: This got locked in the Lounge, I was not aware this was a religious issue but it seems someone does.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56   #2
Triple7

I spank my kids, They are little (4 & 3) so it's more of a little pat than anything. But that's what gets the message across. My kids think time outs are a joke.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 13:08   #3
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock!9 View Post
In light of this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363165
I would like to have a CIVIL debate. Is spanking abuse? Every right minded person knows it CAN be but is it always or is there an appropriate non abusive way to administer it?

EDIT: This got locked in the Lounge, I was not aware this was a religious issue but it seems someone does.
Spanking a child is not abuse. But, what is spanking? A swat on the seat of the pants w/ the open hand... a teacher or school principle using a paddle on a student, etc. Beating a child is not spanking. It is child abuse.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 13:17   #4
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
Spanking a child is not abuse. But, what is spanking? A swat on the seat of the pants w/ the open hand... a teacher or school principle using a paddle on a student, etc. Beating a child is not spanking. It is child abuse.
great question...Is there a way to come up with some standard that most people would agree on or no?
Old 08-16-2011, 14:56   #5
RC-RAMIE

Im not against a corrective spank not beating.

I don't use it I tried and with my son it don't work. I found simply explaining it to my son works better for us.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 14:58   #6
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Got spanked quite often when I was a youth, had to do with bad behavior only and yes I do believe I deserved them.
Old 08-16-2011, 15:15   #7
GlockinNJ

IMO, spanking *can* be abusive. There's a million ways to lay your hands on a child. A corrective pat or smack on the rear can be effective to modify behavior and get a point across. But, if the parent is angry or not in total control of his/her actions, then the child could be injured physically or psychologically and that crosses the line, IMO. Doing it too often will also reduce it's effectiveness.

I have never spanked my kids. I have overpowered them physically very few times when they were maybe 2-3 years old and they were in total meltdown, totally unacceptable behavior, albeit typical for the age. Once they understood the consequences, they did not test me again.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 15:43   #8
NDCent
Socially Inept

Screw Dr. Phil. Look at the difference in many children today.

If spanking doesn't work in children, then apparently their parents need a good a**whippin'.
Old 08-16-2011, 16:15   #9
purrrfect 10

Spank them lightly for their attention until they are 5, take away what they like until they are 12 and restrict then. after that they already think they know more than you so being their best friend will bring you the best results from then on. Raised two boys and my daughter single parent,,,all doing well and in their 30's
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 17:21   #10
RC-RAMIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrfect 10 View Post
Spank them lightly for their attention until they are 5, take away what they like until they are 12 and restrict then. after that they already think they know more than you so being their best friend will bring you the best results from then on. Raised two boys and my daughter single parent,,,all doing well and in their 30's
This is my first time at it and you just laid out about every step I figured out along the way, wish I would have read this post about 10 years ago would have made things easier.

ETA they learn a lot just by watching you a total change in the way I act in my life has resulted in a change in his behavior with out me saying a thing. I learned a lot by listening to him also.

Last edited by RC-RAMIE; 08-16-2011 at 17:24.. Reason: iPad autocorrect pisses me off!
RC-RAMIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 22:52   #11
Roering
Sorting nuts

Effective but I make sure not to use don't use it too often. What my kids really can't stand is having to write sentences.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11   #12
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
My parents didn't "spare the rod" In other words, when I need a good spanking I got one. Didn't hurt me at all. I have seen the end of many of the other kids who received no discipline in their home and I actually thanks my mother for the fact that I was corrected when it was called for.
As A parent, I also spanked. Guess what? I am happy to see it helped and I am not visiting my kid in jail like some of the more "enlightened" parents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:35   #13
ricklee4570

Everybody is an expert when it comes to this subject.

I feel that each individual case is different. Some kids need a spanking, some dont. Some kids respond differently than others. You have to find what works in your situation. This is one of those "One size does not fit all" situations.

My sister, never needed a spanking, her world came to an end if dad was dissapointed with her. Me, on the other hand, I needed it, I was hard headed!
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote