SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2011, 17:43   #1
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

How Prepared Are You?

How Prepared Are You? Can anyone on this forum "honestly" say they think they would do to survive a SHTF senario (a major one that could last for 6 or more months. No power , TV, Cell phones, internet. Maybe just a radio emergency broadcast to inform the public.) even if they had to put down a neighbor or anyone who is desperate enough to take their stuff because they were not prepared( desperation). I'm just doing a bit of research because I'm bored with the ***** that has been posted in the S/P section lately. Be honest no Rambo BS just your view without cutting down someone elses.opinion.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 08-15-2011 at 18:10..
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 17:47   #2
michael e

No one can truely say what they would do, its all what you think you would do. What type of SHTF are you talking, I wouldnt off someone that wasnt out to get me.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:02   #3
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

It depends.

If the electricity is on, I'm good indefinitely. I need it to pump water and run the bulk of my heat.

I can get, and purify water otherwise, and I do have fireplaces but some limit on wood supply though that would be dealt with. Both issues thru sheer sweat and labor, but I could do it.

building is secure. Armaments available. year supply of food.

How long is the emergency? Is there fallout? Did I survive without any initial injury?

power or intermittent power, no immediate injuries, mild winter, roving mobs sufficiently limited to urban areas in the distance, recovery attempted and underway by whoever in authority, could be fine on my own.

Its all down hill from there. Did a good friend or two make it out here? were any trespassers repelled? was the game harvest ok? Did I stick to a rationing plan for my existing food supply? Was there any shrinkage factor in spoilage from existing stores? Am I eating well or just ok? Health factors ok? Any re-supply on the horizon? Can I leave to pick it up?

Lots of variables. I am in the arena, thinking about it, making lists and filling them, some topics better than others.

It depends.
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:13   #4
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

This is a good reply G29reload this means your thinking ahead and out of the box. I just want folks to get their brain juices flowing. Its gone stale lately at S/P.....myself included.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 08-15-2011 at 18:43..
Old 08-15-2011, 18:22   #5
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

At one time, I thought I was prepared.

Then in 2005, hurricane Rita hit here. It was the wake call I needed. Ever since then, I will never feel totally prepared. Always room for improvement, never stop.

Last edited by Glockdude1; 08-15-2011 at 18:23..
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:24   #6
jdavionic
NRA Member

More than the average person, but less than desirable. It's a tradeoff for me. Debt free is a big goal of mine. While I paid off some debt recently, I still have more to go. This goal contradicts, to a certain degree, with some others...more equipment, more supplies, a good amount of land, etc.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:40   #7
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

We passed that mark this year when we started doing long term food storage. Before that it would have been a squeaker and we might have gotten a little thin. We have food, water and drugs covered for some long time and all of the other stuff that I have been collecting for the last 10 years or so.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 18:47   #8
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

Then in 2005, hurricane Rita hit here. It was the wake call I needed. Ever since then, I will never feel totally prepared. Always room for improvement, never stop.

Good for you! Experience is the best teacher.
Old 08-15-2011, 18:54   #9
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
This is a good reply G29reload this means your thinking ahead and out of the box. I just want folks to get their brain juices flowing. Its gone stale lately at S/P.....myself included.

IT boils down to, All you can do...is All You Can Do.

What do you need? Get it.

You need shelter from the cold. Keep your building intact and warm.
you need water. I have a months in storage, need to make some ready beyond that. It rains around here, so I'd cover that.

I have a year worth of food and then some. I hunt deer here and can add squills and bunnies.

Everything else, just figure it out. Lots of bourbon so I can still catch a buzz if no immediate security threats. I"m guessin satellite and power are out, so I may be tapping vehicle batteries to get my ham station working, or listening to a battery powered radio.

Re-looking at the OP's post...yes. If I am here at home, I can go 6 months to a year or more as it stands. Might be rough, but definitely doable. necessity is the mother of invention. I have meds, pharma and bandages. Short of major infections and surgery, I can hang.

Last edited by G29Reload; 08-15-2011 at 18:56..
Old 08-15-2011, 18:59   #10
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:

HERE IS A LESSON we all need to hear about.

What did you learn?

What did you run out of?

What will you NEVER run out of again, because you learned your lesson?

What do you stock more of?

Did you make a list of all the stuff you ran short of, and acquire it later for the next emergency?

This becomes a matter of common sense, because if youre still there or in hurricane country, its not a matter of if, but when it wil happen again.
Old 08-15-2011, 19:00   #11
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

I just got the wife on board recently. Prior to that she thought I was a half a whack job, since my return from the sandbox. Since recent economical and world events she has seen the light and now we both work on the best commodities on the market, food, water, guns/ammo and S/P supplies. Keep the pipedreams of stock options and hedge funds as the only option. Bottom line is if you can't eat, drink, shoot or use it to sustain your family or yourself its worthless. Don't misunderstand me, I do have 401's, IRA, stocks and other investments but I always have my finger on the button to cash out and do what needs to be done. Remember a poor plan is better than no plan at all! Don't get caught with your pants down.

Last edited by TangoFoxtrot; 08-15-2011 at 19:02..
Old 08-15-2011, 19:02   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Good for you! Experience is the best teacher.
In 2008, hurricane Ike hit Galveston, but we too were hit hard. I had more damage to my home, but I was more comfortable than I was during Rita.

By comfortable, I mean more food, water, supplies and a generator with plenty of fuel, to keep my window A/C, fridge, freezer, going to I did not even lose a ice cube when the power went out.

Old 08-15-2011, 19:08   #13
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

[QUOTE=G29Reload;17781790]IT boils down to, All you can do...is All You Can Do.

What do you need? Get it.

You need shelter from the cold. Keep your building intact and warm.
you need water. I have a months in storage, need to make some ready beyond that. It rains around here, so I'd cover that.

I have a year worth of food and then some. I hunt deer here and can add squills and bunnies.

Everything else, just figure it out. Lots of bourbon so I can still catch a buzz if no immediate security threats. I"m guessin satellite and power are out, so I may be tapping vehicle batteries to get my ham station working, or listening to a battery powered radio.

Re-looking at the OP's post...yes. If I am here at home, I can go 6 months to a year or more as it stands. Might be rough, but definitely doable. necessity is the mother of invention. I have meds, pharma and bandages. Short of major infections and surgery, I can hang.[

Q: Lots of bourbon so I can still catch a buzz if no immediate security threats.

I don't drink hard booze anymore but I have a rotating stock of 7 cases of MGD so at least I can relax with a cold one and watch the SHTF unfold.
Old 08-15-2011, 19:11   #14
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
It depends.

If the electricity is on, I'm good indefinitely. I need it to pump water and run the bulk of my heat.

I can get, and purify water otherwise, and I do have fireplaces but some limit on wood supply though that would be dealt with. Both issues thru sheer sweat and labor, but I could do it.

building is secure. Armaments available. year supply of food.

How long is the emergency? Is there fallout? Did I survive without any initial injury?

power or intermittent power, no immediate injuries, mild winter, roving mobs sufficiently limited to urban areas in the distance, recovery attempted and underway by whoever in authority, could be fine on my own.

Its all down hill from there. Did a good friend or two make it out here? were any trespassers repelled? was the game harvest ok? Did I stick to a rationing plan for my existing food supply? Was there any shrinkage factor in spoilage from existing stores? Am I eating well or just ok? Health factors ok? Any re-supply on the horizon? Can I leave to pick it up?

Lots of variables. I am in the arena, thinking about it, making lists and filling them, some topics better than others.

It depends.
This, or at least very similar here. No such thing as genuinely, totally "prepared for everything".

From another forum, posted by someone other than me; and very worth considering - the things most likely to kill the average american, compiled out of data from numerous sources:

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Assuming that's anywhere near accurate (and it seems reasonable), I stand about a 38% chance of succumbing to heart disease, cancer or stroke. Nothing violent or apocalyptic; just normal crap that kills us.

I think we can and should prep for the things we can't control - the riots, tornadoes, hyperinflation, whatever. But based on the post-counts on the few forums I look at, it seems like more time ought to be spent prepping for the things we CAN control - our health, our fitness, our genetic predispositions for cancer, diabetes, whatever. They're not as cool & sexy as a new gun, new knife (or sheath... ), and not as macho-seeming as another case of quik-clot or pallet of stored food. But being that they're the things that are most likely to do us in, they deserve some thought & effort put into them.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 19:13   #15
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
In 2008, hurricane Ike hit Galveston, but we too were hit hard. I had more damage to my home, but I was more comfortable than I was during Rita.

By comfortable, I mean more food, water, supplies and a generator with plenty of fuel, to keep my window A/C, fridge, freezer, going to I did not even lose a ice cube when the power went out.

You adapted , improvised and overcame from the experience of the Hurricane Rita days.
Old 08-15-2011, 19:14   #16
ratf51

I am more prepared than I was, but not near as prepared as I want to be. Need to improve food stores and first-aid/medical supplies for the next priority. It is all a work in progress...
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 19:18   #17
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Amen brother the same with many others and myself. Theres always room for improvement....always!
Old 08-15-2011, 20:02   #18
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post

Assuming that's anywhere near accurate (and it seems reasonable), I stand about a 38% chance of succumbing to heart disease, cancer or stroke. Nothing violent or apocalyptic; just normal crap that kills us.

I think we can and should prep for the things we can't control - the riots, tornadoes, hyperinflation, whatever. But based on the post-counts on the few forums I look at, it seems like more time ought to be spent prepping for the things we CAN control - our health, our fitness, our genetic predispositions for cancer, diabetes, whatever. They're not as cool & sexy as a new gun, new knife (or sheath... ), and not as macho-seeming as another case of quik-clot or pallet of stored food. But being that they're the things that are most likely to do us in, they deserve some thought & effort put into them.
Well yeah, but this is not a health forum. Yes we can all take better care of ourselves but its besides the point. We do that on another topic. The issue here is how well can we survive SHTF events OUTSIDE our own temple. Riots flood, 'canes, naders, OBama, commie nukes, etc. Getting enough fiber and exercise are related but...OVER THERE some. Just sayin.
Old 08-15-2011, 20:14   #19
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
This, or at least very similar here. No such thing as genuinely, totally "prepared for everything".

An interesting chart, but somewwhat misleading. We all have to die of something, at least us mortals. So you are going to have heart attack, stroke, cancer etc near the top. You don't die of "old age" anymore, you die of something. You are going to end of one of the top 3 if you live long enough, so all the execise and good diet will not keep you from dying of one of those things. Even Jack Lalane died, and he fitter than 99.9% of the population even when he was 90.

So it is about untimely deaths. Being fit enough to live into our 70's without assistance. It is about driving safer, driving safer cars, taking our meds. Being alert to our surroundings to avoid death at the hands of another.

We want to feel in control. Some things we can't stop completely (like dying) but we can prepare to lessen the impact. I live near the bottom of "Tornado Alley". I could move somewhere that has no tornados to avoid them, or I can do some things to ensure my family survives a tornado and its aftermath. I constructed an ICF home and have a strom room built to withstand and F5 tornado. I can't stop a tornado from coming to the house, yet. But I did something to lessen its impact. Was it a waste of money? Absolutely not, the construction saves me several hundred dollars a month in utilities. And every time severe weather comes it brings a lot of comfort to my wife and family. That is worth more than a fancier car.

I agree prioritize your risks. Spend money on things with duel purposes. My home construction makes my family safer, and it saves on utilities. Buying and storing food has little to no long term cost, as you need to eat any way. You are just changing the timing of the expenditure and the storage location before you eat it (in the store or supply chain, versus in your pantry). The real cost of being preared is small in the long term, the cost of not being prepared is your life or that of your family. Make choices.

Last edited by racerford; 08-15-2011 at 22:27.. Reason: fat fingers
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 20:35   #20
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
How Prepared Are You? Can anyone on this forum "honestly" say they think they would do to survive a SHTF senario (a major one that could last for 6 or more months. No power , TV, Cell phones, internet. Maybe just a radio emergency broadcast to inform the public.) even if they had to put down a neighbor or anyone who is desperate enough to take their stuff because they were not prepared( desperation). I'm just doing a bit of research because I'm bored with the ***** that has been posted in the S/P section lately. Be honest no Rambo BS just your view without cutting down someone elses.opinion.

Well, I can honestly say what I would do..

.. & we are prepared in both homes well past the 6 month mark.

And have enough food, water, supplies, weapons & power generation equipment to share also.

As far as the few neighbors nearby, we know them well enough to band together for food production (multiple tractors, implements, lots of arable land in the group), self protection, child care & education, etc.

Likely be other friends & relatives in the mix also. No problem!

You might find you rediscover your humanity when thrown into an extreme crisis with like-minded people..

But at the same time...

..what we have is ours to use or give as we see fit..

..but not advisable for anyone to try & take it!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote