SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-08-2013, 14:32   #1
John Rambo
Raven

Houses are Flammable

Very flammable. Roofs go up frighteningly easily, even if your walls are block. This would seem to put you at a serious disadvantage when defending, even if well-equipped.

How do you plan to deal with this?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:34   #2
eb07
Sharkin'

Movement is life
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:45   #3
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
They make metal roofs....

But if they're that close, your already wrong.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 14:55   #4
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
They make metal roofs....

But if they're that close, your already wrong.
Never heard of metal trusses in a house, though.

Them being close enough to launch a missile of some sort onto your roof isn't that close at all. Most of us not living on umpteen acres would hardly be able to engage before that point.

Last edited by John Rambo; 11-08-2013 at 14:55..
Old 11-08-2013, 14:56   #5
eb07
Sharkin'

Sprinkler system on the roof? Picket lines? I mean seriously, if someone wants into your compound, they are going to get in eventually and fire is the best way to do it.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:08   #6
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Sprinkler system on the roof? Picket lines? I mean seriously, if someone wants into your compound, they are going to get in eventually and fire is the best way to do it.
Seems like a weak point to be considered, then. Especially to those of us who aren't fortunate enough to be able to build underground structures. I'll say, I'm at a loss for ideas, and I Don't want to be. And as with most things I talk about in this forum, I'm not talking about some end of the world scenario. Its a big problem in general that I'd love to know some ways to deal with. If my Pug burned inside my house I'd cry for years.

Last edited by John Rambo; 11-08-2013 at 15:09..
Old 11-08-2013, 15:12   #7
eb07
Sharkin'

Even underground structures require ventilation that can be exploited if discovered.
Old 11-08-2013, 16:08   #8
Syclone0538

First, don't burn it down yourself... Wiring, candles, cigarettes...

Block/concrete/brick walls, metal roof...

I know they made plywood that is at least fire resistant. I don't really know how carpet and drywall do in a fire.

A big part of it is going to be all of your stuff. Have you ever seen a couch burn?

Look into the construction of buildings that can not be evacuated fast enough. Hospitals and nursing homes go for broke on stopping a fire, because they have to.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:24   #9
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Never heard of metal trusses in a house, though...
This isn't my house, but it's the same manufacturer and construction as mine; other than this one is on a crawlspace and we're on a poured slab:

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Red-iron framing sections bolted together every eight feet, spanned by steel purlins, studs, etc. No structural wood anywhere in it. It is finished with normal shingles, so the roof could potentially burn off & be ruined, but the structure wouldn’t be burned out or down. Under the shingles & decking is dense-packed cellulose that won’t burn – I tried to get it to burn before we committed to using it, and couldn’t – so the fire would almost certainly be unable to even burn off the decking with that much non-flammable insulation right up against it. IIRC, it’s something like 16” of dense-pack cellulose between the roof decking and the sheetrock (the ceiling lines parallel the roofline); it worked out to an R-62 when we built it. I’ve mentioned before that I’m twitchy about fire, and this manufacturer (Tri-Steel) made us what we wanted at the time. Steel frame on a concrete slab, and sheetrock on interior walls – about as impervious to fire as I could build. (Other than using all concrete, but the wife nixed that idea…)

I believe Tri-Steel is out of business now, but there are bound to be other, similar options out there.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:44   #10
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I have a tile roof, not sure that is all that flammable, but if someone was determined to burn me out of my home, I am not sure how I would stop them? No place in invulnerable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:10   #11
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Movement is life
it can be or perhaps not.

Quote:
Roofs go up frighteningly easily
this sounds a little dramatic.

Last edited by FireForged; 11-08-2013 at 19:14..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:16   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Never heard of metal trusses in a house, though.

Them being close enough to launch a missile of some sort onto your roof isn't that close at all. Most of us not living on umpteen acres would hardly be able to engage before that point.

Honestly, if its to the point of them flinging burning missiles onto your roof, you are justified in shooting, or you need to GTFO. Only options.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:41   #13
eb07
Sharkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
it can be or

Movie reference. /head
Old 11-08-2013, 20:26   #14
ArmoryDoc

If you plan to bunker down and fight it out, you're dead no matter. Have a plan for egress and know when to use it.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16   #15
quake

My fire-resistance penchant isn't about MZB's so much as plain old house fires. If it were a combat-oriented thing, I wouldn't have used regular shingles, but probably metal instead on the roof.

While the OP mentions defending, preparedness isn't always about combat. IMO, it should be primarily not about combat.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27   #16
inzone

defense forward

am a big believer in contingency planning......plan a is for the neighborhood watch...now armed with firearms to defend forward....hit them and engage them before they can isolate us in "forts" and burn or starve us out or bulldoze us out, etc.... I realize small neighborhood groups/armed may not be enough...but then you have to be ready to bugout, escape and evade, etc.... I agree that a group that it highly mobile is optimum, but you nmay have old folks and sick and children you need to protect... its complicated aint it!!!!
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:39   #17
knoxrocks222

Probably the best idea is to get on the same team as the people with the missiles