SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2011, 14:29   #26
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

The big killer for men and obesity is belly fat. It is clinically proven to put you in the ground ahead of schedule.

At the VERY LEAST keep that belly fat off by avoiding sugar & excess carbs (like the kind found in pastries, cakes, pancakes, and white bread). Also sugar drinks like juice, sodas, etc. are also gut busters.

Your belly will dwindle over time if you cut out some of the crap you should not be eating anyway.... and just enjoy life & your thin waist line.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 14:43   #27
cyrsequipment
Angry

The impotency issue is generally caused by cholesterol (those arteries can get clogged too). People need to address their whole health not just their appearance.
Old 08-24-2011, 15:04   #28
quake

Been working on the total gym, mostly ab obliques. Up to 80 reps - 40 each side - three days a week. (I'm only home three days a week.)

Picked up material to put up a chinup bar out there as well. Just using a four-foot section of black-iron pipe, off the open ceiling trusses.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 16:43   #29
bdcochran

I went to UCLA Dental School at 9 am on Monday to finish the dental school plan for my teeth. For the first time in 6 years, I am "finished" - and will start again with a cleaning in a couple of months.

I went to Kaiser in the afternoon to the gastro guy who gave two prescriptions. Had a basal cell cancer removed about three weeks ago as well.

Get old is the pits - but it is better than the alternative.

Normally, I do 1/2 hour of stretching and 1 hour of weightlifting each day. I also take 4-5 hours of dance lessons a week.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:05   #30
jdavionic
NRA Member

Same thing I always do...lift weights, cardio usually by playing basketball, ...all of these instead of lunch at work.

It's the same routine that I've been doing since I graduated college. I'm now 47 and in good shape (for me, at least). Not overweight. Stronger than I've ever been. Endurance is great. What I've seen over the years is that once you let yourself get out of shape, it's really hard to get back into shape. So it's best not to let it happen in the first place.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:22   #31
poodleshooter1

Up to 19 pullups and 73 pushups almost 180 lbs

http://www.healthtipexchange.com/
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 14:17   #32
Captain Boogie

Day 25 of Dan John's 40 day workout. http://tasfitness.blogspot.com/2011/...-dan-john.html http://http://www.t-nation.com/free_..._40day_program

Seems too good to be true.. however, after 20 days of this workout and occasional treadmill runs during night shift, I upped my APFT score by 50 points. I also do some morning push ups but nothing extreme.
Captain Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 13:57   #33
quake

Had one piece of good news when I went to the doctor yesterday after disconnecting a tendon in a finger Saturday. (Carrying a baby grand piano - four guys on one side, and me & my oldest son on the other; and we're the ones walking backwards up the steps. Even at church, they profile us yetis...)

Anyway, when they did the normal doctor-office stuff, my blood pressure came in at 128 over 69. Pretty good for an past-middle-age redneck after a pot of coffee on a Monday.

Have to keep working on the total gym and the chinup bar. It seems to be working.

Old 09-27-2011, 14:59   #34
bdcochran

I did the full workout in the gym today, just like yesterday and Sunday. Have neck pain, but will not take medicine until later today after I go visit and help a friend who is dying from cancer.

The girlfriend is unusual and so I will comment. We are at retirement age. We do the dance lessons together. She goes to her own gym nearly every day. She also plays two hours of tennis on Saturday and two hours on Sunday. Eventually, I will be roped into doing tennis even though I lack balance.
Old 09-27-2011, 19:40   #35
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
...The girlfriend is unusual and so I will comment. We are at retirement age. We do the dance lessons together...
Not a bad thing at all. My father will be 88 in a few months and still goes dancing at least once a week. No girlfriend right now - my most-recent stepmother (my third; quite a bit of energy for an older guy... ) passed away not quite two years ago, and he's still "batching it" so to speak.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02   #36
fourdeuce2

I kept breathing. That's one of the most important things you can do for your health.
Old 09-30-2011, 18:26   #37
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Every Week (just a matter of how many times): Lift heavy weights.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03   #38
quake

Went just over 30 minutes nonstop on the elliptical walker; first time I've hit that mark in a long time. I've really cut back on the weightlifting the last few months and instead am trying to focus on 'fitness' rather than just plain old strength. Someone here or on some other forum made a comment a while back that they were trying to become "more of a spinner and less of a masher", and that phrasing stuck with me; seems like a good idea in my personal circumstances. Age, weight, genetic tendencies, etc; in my current personal situation, it seems a prudent change.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31   #39
DoctaGlockta

Did my usual workout routine today but am going to my first 'crossfit' training class tomorrow. Really don't know what to expect. Hope it increases my overall strength and improves flexibility.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 09-24-2012 at 12:38..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49   #40
PettyOfficer

Just had 20 hot wings for lunch, but I did finish them off with celery.

Hahah, but I'll go running later tonight.
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43   #41
gunslinger3
Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a Stairmaster at home. So I step level 9 (150 flights/3 miles) two days then run 5K the third day. Rest the forth and then repeat. Pull ups and push ups on the workout days.

Besides walking my GSD daily

ETA: Also have not had a soda since last February.
A fundamental civil right that ends at the doorway of one’s home is not a right at all.

Last edited by gunslinger3; 09-26-2012 at 12:03..
gunslinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56   #42
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

I have been drinking beer. There are studies which suggest that beer will flush the kidneys which is a good thing.
Beer also is on record for providing vitamin B6, B12, ect, and beer will raise the level of joy in one's life which translates into lowering blood pressure.

Some insist that ale is more beneficial, but I prefer lager.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11   #43
BobbyT

Ok the "fit vs healthy" hypotheticals here are more than a little overboard.

Can you be fit with some internal problems? Sure. Is it at all likely you're a ticking time bomb if you're ripped? No way.

Ranting about some miniscule fraction of an already small number of ripped people being unhealthy is like hearing the media go on about the "epidemic" of girls with anorexia. Yes there are a couple of cases, but given how massively outweighed they are by EVERYONE ELSE it's a joke to try to shift the focus to that "problem".

Most people eat far more calories than they use, aren't physically active, and continue to store away excess fat. Gaining muscle and losing fat, getting stronger while dropping their mile times, is about the most positive thing they can do for themselves.

Fitness and health may not be identical, but the correlation has to be 90+%.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 13:38   #44
NOLA_glock
quietly judges.

A friend of mine and I run about 6 miles a week, and I do overall free-weight exercises every other day.

I lost 40 lbs before leaving my job for school about 2.5 years ago, and slowly gained about 30 back once in school (pretty active job, combined with getting careless with how much I ate). Last semester and over the summer, I dropped them again, and have been much more vigilant about my intake.

ಠ_ಠ
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 21:59   #45
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

I realized how carried away I'd gotten with drinking Diet Pepsi this week. I kept finding better deals on bigger cartons and that led me to continually drinking more and more. I decided I was tired of it and starting Monday, I've had one can with lunch and another with dinner and that's how it's gone all week. Bottled water is free while at work and at home, we have a through-the-door dispenser on the refrigerator. For the last few months, I was putting away 36 cans in a week or so. I've been nowhere near as thirsty or hungry this week. Energy levels and sleep have been the same. Assuming I keep it up (looks very likely), I'll also save $20-$30 this month.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin

Last edited by Kevin108; 09-27-2012 at 22:01..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 19:51   #46
Simpleman71

I lift weights 2 hours a day five days a week, cardio 4 days a week split up between biking, running 3-6 miles. I am 41 years old an in the best shape of my life. I don't eat fried or junk food, no alcohol or tobacco. I've even noticed that my fitness level gives me an edge during my uspsa matches. Lots of overweight people trying to run those stages.
Simpleman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44   #47
pugman

Just finished my first Tough Mudder about a month ago; spent 11 months training and went from not being able to run 20 minutes on a treadmill to completing a 11.5 mile course, attempting every obstacle (just didn't have the reach for the rings). During training I was in the gym 1-2 hours a day 6-7 days a week.

Spent about 3 weeks staying out of the gym..just started getting back in 8-9 days ago.

Now the goal is to up my time for the next go around. We finished below average in 2 hours 32 minutes but I always felt I needed to save myself - now that I know what to expect I'm sure I will shave 15 minutes off my time - 7 months and counting

Like Simpleman I'm in the best shape of my life at 43 - unlike Simple I eat and drink whatever the heck I want - I just generally don't want a lot of crappy food (and I don't smoke and a 6 pack usually lasts a week or more). I endulge in fast food about once a month (I just get a craving for it)

My routine is cardio/weights & cardio/yoga alternating days. I was surprised how much the yoga helped with the mudder. The cardio only day is what I call a long burn...90 minutes on a treadmill, 8-9 miles...1000-1100 calories burned (well, at least its what the machine says).

My big problem is I want lean muscle so on many of the machines I think I've peaked

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 11:53..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:39   #48
bdcochran

different response

Health is the absence of disease.

Physical fitness is not the same concept. Physical fitness may retard or prevent certain diseases.

Some exercises are specific to certain sports or to rehabilitation.

General strength conditioning exercises need only be done once a week or about every ten days.

Cutting off food is more effective than thinking that a person will burn significant amounts of calories through exercise. This is why I see people at the YMCA daily who exercise, but look like they are about to deliver twins -and they are either males or females over the age of 50!

Get rid of the television set, get rid of the refrigerator, only walk to the supermarket and carry back what you can carry, walk the stairs. Gee! Sounds like the typical Frenchman in Paris.

In the former Chunking, Red China, elevators in apartment complexes are not programmed to stop before the 10th floor. The woman with the best legs I have every seen was a tour guide who lived on the 9th floor with her husband.

Today, I did over 2 hours at the YMCA. I have multiple doctor and dentist appointment scheduled for the balance of the month. Health is not the same as physical fitness, they overlap only in a small part.
Old 10-09-2012, 16:03   #49
pugman

Quote:
Health is the absence of disease.

Physical fitness is not the same concept. Physical fitness may retard or prevent certain diseases.
Agree.

Quote:
General strength conditioning exercises need only be done once a week or about every ten days.
This depends on your goal. I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week while training; left for about three weeks and just got back into it. I can feel I have lost a step in regards to what I was lifting before. It won't take long to get back to where I was at - but if your goal is strength conditioning once a week will not cut it. And I guarantee the next day you will feel like a pile of wet newspaper.

Quote:
Cutting off food is more effective than thinking that a person will burn significant amounts of calories through exercise. This is why I see people at the YMCA daily who exercise, but look like they are about to deliver twins -and they are either males or females over the age of 50!
I see these types all the time - they are either 1) not doing the right types of cardio 2) not doing it reach a target heart rate 3) not doing it each time or long enough.

Edit: 4) You are seeing them at the gym and they are socializing. I see a LOT of these folks. They go to the gym...but they don't go to workout. They hit a machine, set some low weight, do a few reps, move to another machine, check out the TVs - they are there 30-60 minutes and don't do anything. For the record, my very small gym makes it impossible not to notice these people (I go to a SNAP Fitness in a strip mall)

A coworker of mine walks 2-3 miles a night and can't understand why she isn't losing weight. The walking IS good for her and burns calories but she isn't reaching a "burn zone." A rule of thumb is a 180# person burns 100 calories per mile walked. Come back and say you "earned" a piece of cake or drink a coke instead of a zero calorie water and you have blown it.

YMMV, but I was running a lot (to me at least) to condition for my race. Anywhere from 30-40 miles a week. I would run 8-9 miles on a treadmill and the machine said I was burning upwards of 1100 calories in those 90 minutes. Doing this several times a week along with my regular exercise and I could eat whatever I wanted....

Like sit down and eat a half gallon of ice cream. I'm 5'8 and a trim 185-190#s.

This said, I just read the "perfect" amount of exercise time is 30 minutes (not the hour they tote.) On average, people who exercise 30 minutes a day tend to do more stuff after the exercise. Those doing an hour generally came home and hit the couch. Overall, the people doing 30 minutes did it more intensively, hit better heart rates and burned more calories through a normal day.

Last edited by pugman; 10-09-2012 at 16:16..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:39   #50
wlkjr

Having my gall bladder sucked out tomorrow, does that count?
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote