SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45   #21
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes228 View Post
You can be physically fit ie muscular, and able to do feats of strength. Even have endurance in a physical realm ie bike races, running marathons etc. Yet be unhealthy. You can have clogged arteries, poorly functioning organs ie liver, kidneys, adrenalin systems, nervous systems, etc.etc. yet be "strong" Muscular strength, even endurance, is not the same as "health". My definition of health is the ability to live a long life. Free from disease and debilitating illness. With the ability to live a relatively painless life as you age ie joints etc. And retain the ability to enjoy life and companionship with your wife into "old" age (ie 70 years +++).

A couple of questions will speak volumes for a mans over all health. Are you functioning sexually without chemicals and adjuncts ? Generally speaking, if they have a partner healthy men are romantic several times a week, not once a month. Do you still have desire for intimacy? If the answer is a truthful "yes". Congratulations - you are probably overall a healthy man.

Also as an aside for the ladies that think running five miles a day and lifting weights, biathlons, triathlons etc. are good for them as women. Find someone that's older and has "been there and done that and has the tee shirt". They will probably look like a a wrinkled elderly prune (though slender (grin). Because nothing ages the skin as much as oxygen intake. The more oxygen you intake, the more your skin ages and wrinkles. If you wish a beautiful, wrinkle free, young for your age, appearance don't go there. The rewards of exercise certainly are not in aging or appearance.
Very strongly agree with all the above; to me it boils down to the fact that we tend to look at reversing symptoms instead of treating causes.

Fat & sedentary? Take a stimulant pill.
Impotent 30 years early? Take a boner pill.
Back hurts chronically? Take a pain-blocking pill.

None of those solves the cause, they just try to reverse the symptom. The best analogy I've heard for people who regularly take otc pain drugs like tylenol & such (and I mean regularly as a part of life; not someone who injured themselves yesterday), is that it's like cutting the wire that goes to the "check engine" light in your car because as we all know, that light shouldn't be constantly on. Made the symptom go away, but didn't do a thing to address the real issue, and we're still truckin on with the same problem but now we can blissfully ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes228
Physical fitness and "Health" are not the same thing. They have almost no connection. What you see in America today is a very un-healthy media manipulation with physical fitness. A huge proportion of physical fitness buffs will be impotent, sick, broken men in a very few years. I know people that can run miles, study Krav Maga (spelling) and martial arts, lift weights and work their butt off to have a six pack. Every one, is as unhealthy as the limpest noodle couch potato imaginable. Physical fitness and health are connected in only the smallest of ways. The joke is on the American people. Just my opinion but it is based on real life experience.
I also largely agree with you on health & fitness not being synonymous; including the "overdoers" of the fitness thing with things up to and including steroids & drugs, being ruined in short order. Moving toward a worthy-sounding goal the wrong way can do more harm than good. Losing weight would be a good idea for many (probably most) americans; but losing weight isn't inherently a good or healthy thing in and of itself - crack & heroin addicts lose weight. I do think there's a lot of overlap between the areas of health & fitness even in cases of unintentional cause & effect. Quitting smoking is one example imo - it's definitely good for you health-wise, but it also greatly contributes to better fitness as well.

Not sure how to say it properly, but I tend to see the overdoers and under-doers of the 'fitness' aspect (whether it's the hulks who poison themselves with steroids, the string-beans who starve their bodies of proteins, or the Jabba's who gorge their bodies with sugars) as being two examples of the same problem - lack of balance, and often lack of knowledge as well. The overdoers tend to focus on the appearance and/or psychological gratification of the next accomplishment rather than on their health; and the under-doers focus on either physical gratification or else focus on nothing at all and just "let themselves go" without any intentional thought about it at all.

Fwiw, one of the most-missed things imo in our society health-wise is nutrients & trace nutrients. I may have said it here before, but I see food overall as the fuel in our tank, but it's the trace nutrients that serve as the spark plug to accomplish something with that fuel; and we as a society aren't getting near the nutrients we used to. Even non-processed foods today have fewer nutrients in them than the same foods did a few decades ago, and it's (imo) largely due to our treating the soil the way the fitness overdoers treat their bodies - pushing for visible affirmation without regard to the core benefit - with nitrate- and chemical-based fertilizers. Not knocking farmers; I grew up on a family farm, and they're just responding to demand the way any business does, but the fact is that many nutrients (especially trace minerals) are lower in density in our current crops than they were 20, 40, or 60 years ago. Examples of what I'm getting at:

http://www.suite101.com/content/decl...tables-a153662

Quote:
Representative changes in nutrients from foods grown in 1999 versus those grown in 1950 include:

•A 38% decrease in riboflavin
•A 15% decrease in ascorbic acid
•A 16% decrease in calcium
•A 9% decrease in phosphorus
•A 15% decrease in iron
•A 6% decrease in protein content
•A slight increase (0.6%) in water content
•There were no statistically significant differences in vitamin A, thiamin, niacin, fat, or carbohydrate content

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37396355...ies-dwindling/

http://www.agricultureinformation.co...nutrients.html

I'm not panicking about it the way some are, but I suspect a lot of folks aren't aware of it. I just try to allow for it, with colloidal minerals, couple tablespoons a day of blackstrap molasses (for iron - my family tends to run deficient), simple things like that, that help make a difference.

All this long ramble is just my attempt to say that there's a lot to it, and there's a lot we can do to tune up and maintain our primary vehicle - our body - if we'll take a little time to just think about it, learn about it, and just do it (so to speak ); but many don't want to be bothered with it. One thing that has stuck with me for a long time was (of all things) a tv commercial from the 70's. It was Cher; don't recall what she was promoting - probably weight watchers, jenny craig, etc - but it was during all the opec/shortage/gas-rationing nonsense going on back then, and she made the comment that "people pay more attention to what they put into their car's gas tank, than what they put into their bodies". Simple as it was, that simple line has stuck with me all this time, and it's still nearly as true now as it was back then.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38   #22
mes228

Health

Much of the current drive to physical fitness stems from the obesity of our peoples. In my opinion it's darn hard to really become excessively "fat" if if you eat "real" foods. Doesn't matter how much you eat. By real food I'm speaking of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, meats. It's the processed stuff that produces obesity in the overwhelming majority of cases. Real food has a balance of fiber content.

So in general it's very hard to eat enough beans, peas, spinach, real whole grain bread to, etc. to become really excessively fat. The fiber prevents it. I personally feel Americans are maybe getting 1/10 the fiber they really need to be healthy in their diets. And I'm not talking "cellulose" added in fake bread & food products (read that on the label as "added saw dust" which has increased about 50% in the last year or so). I agree 100% with the statement on trace minerals etc. So I suggest a diet of a variety of foods that will spoil - just consume them before they spoil. Avoid as much processed, packaged foods as possible. Way too much refined sugar too.

One more thing and I'll shut up. Americans eat too little real "fat" and way too much fake fat. Avoid anything "hydrogenated" or modern man made concoctions. Real fat is good for you and should be about 30% of the calories you consume. Real butter, real oils, even real "lard" is way better than some of the synthetic concoctions scientist have cooked up. If it's not been consumed for at least a few thousands of years stay away from it. Overall if it's a "real" natural product your body can handle it ie use it or eliminate it. That's just not the case for artificial things.
mes228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17   #23
Kieller

Interesting points you bring up mes228. I never thought of there being a difference between healthy and fit yet I think you hit the nail in the head.

As far as being fit this week, I am continuing to take martial arts classes with the wife which is a great workout.

As for being healthy, we have been eating as much fruit and veggies as we can, some of them coming from our own garden. We are also trimming down the number of times we eat out every week. Saves $$$ and is much more healthy since we typically cook with non-processed foods.

Good thread Quake!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21   #24
quake

Quote:
...One more thing and I'll shut up. Americans eat too little real "fat" and way too much fake fat.
Don't shut up; preach it brother...

Ever see a fat person with Parkinson's? I haven't. The brain is largely made of fat, and to deprive the brain of fats is akin to depriving the muscles of protein. Muscles need protein, and the brain needs fat. After my father in law had a quadruple bypass, he laid off all fats almost completely for 8-10 months - the doctor told him to, and doctor knows best. He gradually got dumber-&-slower and dumber-&-slower as time went on; to the point where he finally couldn't deny it himself anymore, did a little research and started doing exactly as you say - taking in natural fats and just avoiding the saturated and hydrogenized stuff. One of the long-term problems of many mountain men and pioneers was lack of fat in the diet. Wild rabbits, deer, and jerked meat just don't provide what the body needs in the way of fats; that's why the more "round" animals were so prized for food.

From the Health Sciences Institute: http://hsionline.com/2005/07/14/diet...-parkinsons-2/
Quote:
The data revealed a significant link between a reduced risk of Parkinson’s and the highest intake of total fat, monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs).
Ok.. off the soapbox now and back to work for me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-17-2011, 14:24   #25
Dexters

Quote:
You can be physically fit ie muscular, and able to do feats of strength. Even have endurance in a physical realm ie bike races, running marathons etc. Yet be unhealthy. You can have clogged arteries, poorly functioning organs ie liver, kidneys, adrenalin systems, nervous systems, etc.etc. yet be "strong" Muscular strength, even endurance, is not the same as "health". My definition of health is the ability to live a long life. Free from disease and debilitating illness. With the ability to live a relatively painless life as you age ie joints etc. And retain the ability to enjoy life and companionship with your wife into "old" age (ie 70 years +++).

A couple of questions will speak volumes for a mans over all health. Are you functioning sexually without chemicals and adjuncts ? Generally speaking, if they have a partner healthy men are romantic several times a week, not once a month. Do you still have desire for intimacy? If the answer is a truthful "yes". Congratulations - you are probably overall a healthy man.

Also as an aside for the ladies that think running five miles a day and lifting weights, biathlons, triathlons etc. are good for them as women. Find someone that's older and has "been there and done that and has the tee shirt". They will probably look like a a wrinkled elderly prune (though slender (grin). Because nothing ages the skin as much as oxygen intake. The more oxygen you intake, the more your skin ages and wrinkles. If you wish a beautiful, wrinkle free, young for your age, appearance don't go there. The rewards of exercise certainly are not in aging or appearance.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it and agree with what you say.
Old 08-17-2011, 14:29   #26
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

The big killer for men and obesity is belly fat. It is clinically proven to put you in the ground ahead of schedule.

At the VERY LEAST keep that belly fat off by avoiding sugar & excess carbs (like the kind found in pastries, cakes, pancakes, and white bread). Also sugar drinks like juice, sodas, etc. are also gut busters.

Your belly will dwindle over time if you cut out some of the crap you should not be eating anyway.... and just enjoy life & your thin waist line.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 14:43   #27
cyrsequipment
Angry

The impotency issue is generally caused by cholesterol (those arteries can get clogged too). People need to address their whole health not just their appearance.
Old 08-24-2011, 15:04   #28
quake

Been working on the total gym, mostly ab obliques. Up to 80 reps - 40 each side - three days a week. (I'm only home three days a week.)

Picked up material to put up a chinup bar out there as well. Just using a four-foot section of black-iron pipe, off the open ceiling trusses.

Old 08-24-2011, 16:43   #29
bdcochran

I went to UCLA Dental School at 9 am on Monday to finish the dental school plan for my teeth. For the first time in 6 years, I am "finished" - and will start again with a cleaning in a couple of months.

I went to Kaiser in the afternoon to the gastro guy who gave two prescriptions. Had a basal cell cancer removed about three weeks ago as well.

Get old is the pits - but it is better than the alternative.

Normally, I do 1/2 hour of stretching and 1 hour of weightlifting each day. I also take 4-5 hours of dance lessons a week.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:05   #30
jdavionic
NRA Member

Same thing I always do...lift weights, cardio usually by playing basketball, ...all of these instead of lunch at work.

It's the same routine that I've been doing since I graduated college. I'm now 47 and in good shape (for me, at least). Not overweight. Stronger than I've ever been. Endurance is great. What I've seen over the years is that once you let yourself get out of shape, it's really hard to get back into shape. So it's best not to let it happen in the first place.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:22   #31
poodleshooter1

Up to 19 pullups and 73 pushups almost 180 lbs

http://www.healthtipexchange.com/
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 14:17   #32
Captain Boogie

Day 25 of Dan John's 40 day workout. http://tasfitness.blogspot.com/2011/...-dan-john.html http://http://www.t-nation.com/free_..._40day_program

Seems too good to be true.. however, after 20 days of this workout and occasional treadmill runs during night shift, I upped my APFT score by 50 points. I also do some morning push ups but nothing extreme.
Captain Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 13:57   #33
quake

Had one piece of good news when I went to the doctor yesterday after disconnecting a tendon in a finger Saturday. (Carrying a baby grand piano - four guys on one side, and me & my oldest son on the other; and we're the ones walking backwards up the steps. Even at church, they profile us yetis...)

Anyway, when they did the normal doctor-office stuff, my blood pressure came in at 128 over 69. Pretty good for an past-middle-age redneck after a pot of coffee on a Monday.

Have to keep working on the total gym and the chinup bar. It seems to be working.

Old 09-27-2011, 14:59   #34
bdcochran

I did the full workout in the gym today, just like yesterday and Sunday. Have neck pain, but will not take medicine until later today after I go visit and help a friend who is dying from cancer.

The girlfriend is unusual and so I will comment. We are at retirement age. We do the dance lessons together. She goes to her own gym nearly every day. She also plays two hours of tennis on Saturday and two hours on Sunday. Eventually, I will be roped into doing tennis even though I lack balance.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 19:40   #35
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
...The girlfriend is unusual and so I will comment. We are at retirement age. We do the dance lessons together...
Not a bad thing at all. My father will be 88 in a few months and still goes dancing at least once a week. No girlfriend right now - my most-recent stepmother (my third; quite a bit of energy for an older guy... ) passed away not quite two years ago, and he's still "batching it" so to speak.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:02   #36
fourdeuce2

I kept breathing. That's one of the most important things you can do for your health.
Old 09-30-2011, 18:26   #37
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Every Week (just a matter of how many times): Lift heavy weights.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03   #38
quake

Went just over 30 minutes nonstop on the elliptical walker; first time I've hit that mark in a long time. I've really cut back on the weightlifting the last few months and instead am trying to focus on 'fitness' rather than just plain old strength. Someone here or on some other forum made a comment a while back that they were trying to become "more of a spinner and less of a masher", and that phrasing stuck with me; seems like a good idea in my personal circumstances. Age, weight, genetic tendencies, etc; in my current personal situation, it seems a prudent change.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31   #39
DoctaGlockta

Did my usual workout routine today but am going to my first 'crossfit' training class tomorrow. Really don't know what to expect. Hope it increases my overall strength and improves flexibility.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 09-24-2012 at 12:38..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49   #40
PettyOfficer

Just had 20 hot wings for lunch, but I did finish them off with celery.

Hahah, but I'll go running later tonight.
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote