Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:45   #1
detroitdiablo

Looking for suggestions/ideas/input on new SGT promotional testing?

Our dept is in the process of developing a new SGT promotional testing system.
Looking for ideas, input and suggestions. Right now our test for SGT consists of a written exam worth 70% and an oral of 30%. You have to have 5 years on before you can test. We will take any suggestions but please be specific and include all bonus points if you get them and for what. Thank You in advance. Also does anyone promote to SGT just solely based on seniority?
detroitdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Flip it !

Written 30% and oral/scenario based 70% have the assessors from OUTSIDE your area from agencies you respect at the rank of Sgt or Lt.

otherwise you will drown out the field with booksmart candidates that fail in real world situations..

Some situations to give them, employee misconduct.
Unlawfull arrest that they should uncover when they arrive on scene.
Veteran employee with horrible attitude brining down the whole shift, you get the idea.

Have the written test first and a benchmark of say 75-80 % to move on, if they do not hit the benchmark they go no farther.

ALSO and very important NO substandard evals the previous year and No suspensions for more than 8hrs in the previous 2 years (MV accidents excluded), you don't need a discipline problem...

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 08-17-2011 at 13:11..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:56   #3
Patchman
Florist

I've always felt that for each year of patrol a candidate should get a 1/2 point extra (or something like that)..

God, I'm waiting to read some of the questions CT folks will offer up as potential Sergeant/supervisory test questions!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 08-17-2011 at 13:01..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 13:05   #4
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

I'm also not a fan of canned supervision tests, your written test should come from state law, search and seizure law, and department policy, not what inspector Iannone did in the late 60's regarding Maslov's heirarchy of needs.

The testing committee should break up sections and each of you write a predetermined number of questions from areas of high liability in your policy manual, discipline procedures and the outlined state law, and search and seizure law.

If your agency has had a situation that it may have screwed up over the last few years and since fixed the problem write a scenario on it and use it during the oral portion to validate your training and fixing of the problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 15:09   #5
CAcop

IIRC our policy is as follows:

Written test that is pass/fail.
Oral board with outside cops and comunity members.
The top 5 get put on a list to interview with the chief who usually has his two deputy chiefs with him.
For each opening over one they add another candidate. Ex. 2 Sgt. openings, 6 candidates.

No points for anything or anyone.

What is funny is that we had a goof at the PD who was a danger to himself or others but interviews really well. If he had stayed he would probably have made Sgt. quick unless the powers that be didn't listen to his BS.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 14:18   #6
detroitdiablo

nice suggestions, keep them up we need to change our system in the worst way. If you ace the test, your a golden yet you may be the worst cop on the planet. Anyone out there get bonus points for anything (seniority, degrees, so on)? again thanks for all the help on this.
Old 08-18-2011, 14:30   #7
Gangrel

Written Exam worth 40%... You get 1 bonus point for each year of experience up to 10 years/points max. Test is based on 5 books which occasionally change and our policies/law.
Essay exam (2 questions) 20% Generally 1 Q is policy based and 1 Q is law based
Oral Board 40% 1 Lt and 2 Sgts from our agency, 2 Lts from outside agencies. Each member asks one question and all members ask follow up questions as they please. Interview starts with 10 minutes for you to talk about yourself, ends with a couple minutes to close.

Must be 3 years on to test.
Gangrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28   #8
detroitdiablo

C'mon guys a few minutes of your time will really help me out. Thanks
Old 08-20-2011, 09:35   #9
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Prior to being allowed to test, they should be required to exceed standards on whatever physical agility and firearms quals you give new hires.

Written test pass/fail (set the cutoff where you need to) on your local policies, criminal and constitutional law. Written assessment, where an investigative package (criminal, traffic, discipline, whatever) is given them to review, then make a recommendation and justification on. Winners go to scenarios, with outside graders. Include tactical, community and leadership scenarios. Top performers interview.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 14:19   #10
detroitdiablo

anymore?