Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2011, 13:08   #1
DoctaGlockta

Time for a Chainsaw need Rx

With the severe weather this summer I'm expecting a wicked winter this year and need to prepare. I have been without a good chainsaw for sometime. Time for a new one. Probably need an 18" unit. Any recommendations from you chaps would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 14:03   #2
Toyman

There are many people that will give you differing opinions on chainsaws, it's almost as bad as some of the gun debates.

Some will say "Only buy the $600 Stihl, the rest are junk."

Personally I have a 20" Poulan Pro, which I have used the crap out of and it's still going strong. I've had a couple of Poulans over time, and never had any problems with them.

I lot will depend on what you're going to use it for. If you're clearing storm debris then anything might work. If you're cutting up 36" oaks professionally, then you're going to want a better saw.

You might also want to checkout this site: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 14:24   #3
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
i have an 18" poulan pro and a 14" stihl. both are good saws. the poulan is needing a new chain before this fall though as i loaned it to a buddy and it came back missing several teeth, old barbed wire grown into a tree

i was given the stihl by my dad awhile back. the poulan pro i picked up at an auction for $75.

to echo above, i dont think the average homeowner needing a saw will be able to tell the difference in brands. i prefer some over others more along the lines of replacement parts and such. the cheaper imports are still usable but more disposable.
Old 08-17-2011, 14:29   #4
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I run a 16 inch Stihl and a 18 inch husky.

Unless you really, really need a big motor or a 20 inch bar, most would probably be fine with a smaller bar and a smaller motor (and price)

That said, I would go with one of the bigger names, they're well known and trusted for a reason. Lots of people say my xxx brand works as good as a Stihl thats twice the price, but when seriously cutting wood for the winter, or for hunting camp, I've yet to see one of those that really did hang.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 14:36   #5
txjeep

I'm a Stihl guy, but others will work too. I hear the Husqies are very good. My FIL has a couple of cheapos (Homelite, Craftsman) and we cut down a bunch of trees with those two. They are bare knuckle though, not fancy. My dad bought a Stihl Wood boss about 25-30 years ago and it still starts on the first pull. I have an MS280, and it is light, smooth, powerful, and cuts really well. I guess it just comes down to how much you are going to use it and how much you want to spend. Whatever you buy, just keep it maintained and have good fuel/oil on hand. Run it every now and then. I need to fire mine up now that I think about it.
txjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 15:49   #6
Black Smoke Trail

Probably the best alround saw for your application for what I am presuming to be residential use would be a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Great, alround saw that is not too heavy, has decent power, and will accomodate upto a 24 " bar and at a very reasonable price for a saw of this quality and caliber.

I have an Stihl O-66 that I have had since 1993 and it is "stihl" running strong. I also have an MS192T that I use for limbing and tree trimming.

I have had Homelite and other brands, the Huskys are OK but just not in the same league as a Stihl. You will find that most loggers go with Stihl.
Old 08-17-2011, 15:57   #7
MofoG23

Time for a Chainsaw need Rx

I try to buy my tools only once...

I'm using a Stihl 361 and could not be happier - no doubt this saw will last my lifetime. I should note that I heat with wood and put back 5-6 cord each year...

Last edited by MofoG23; 08-17-2011 at 16:29..
MofoG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 17:31   #8
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

I have beaten the crap out of both Poulan and Stihl with good results.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 17:37   #9
Braken

Just looked last week at saws with a friend.

Sthil 290 farm boss, same saw i've had since 2001 $359.00 new.

no regrets.

Ps when you first hear the saw start to run out of fuel, shut it down, when it's outta fuel it's out of oil.

Last edited by Braken; 08-17-2011 at 17:39..
Braken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 18:03   #10
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
With the severe weather this summer I'm expecting a wicked winter this year and need to prepare. I have been without a good chainsaw for sometime. Time for a new one. Probably need an 18" unit. Any recommendations from you chaps would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Real men would use a BFA...Last word is axe!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 19:01   #11
fire65

I run the 14" Stihl. All my yard tools are Stihl and there is a dealer where I live, service is a concern also.
fire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 20:12   #12
Akita
gone

Stihl or Husky.
Everthing else is consumer grade.

Basically find out what models the pros are using as limbing saws and go with that.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 22:26   #13
Syclone538

Something I didn't know for a long time, is the difference in two stroke oil. I think most oil that you find just about anywhere is really outboard oil, even if it says multipurpose and has a pic of a chainsaw on the bottle (Valvoline).

Advanced Auto has Pennzoil that is API TC, that's what I've been using lately.

http://www.7thgear.net/7thGear/Porta...il%20specs.pdf

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 23:16   #14
magpie maniac

Stihl a strong first with Husqvarna an increasingly distant second. Husky's quality has ready dropped from its Electrolux (and now Poulan) days. I know that people don't like to hear it, but you often really do get what you pay for. And Stihl's after-purchase service is second to none.

As far as specific models, the Stihl MS 250 is plenty of chainsaw for most homeowner needs.
magpie maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10   #15
DoctaGlockta

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'll be getting a Stihl.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 16:01   #16
Aceman

Quote:
And an axe. Don't forget the axe! All chainsaws run on gas....
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 18:16   #17
NEWLOADER

I sell husqvarna and thats what I know. I work at a saw shop outside of Tuscaloosa, which was recently hit by a devistating tornado. We sold 400-500 saws in a matter of 2 weeks. We only had a handfull of saws come back for warranty issues, most were user related. In the 18" line I would recomend a husqvarna model 450. Plenty of power and capable of running a 20" should the situation dictate it necessary.
NEWLOADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 18:50   #18
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

I've got a Husky 359 running a 20" bar. No complaints hear. There's a site called arboristsite.com that has tons of info. Everything form guys running their 20yo Homelites to guys running saws that look like they're using the intake and exhaust off of a dirtbike.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 19:09   #19
Akita
gone

Quote:
Buy the Stihl bar oil and the Stihl gas additive. There IS a difference and it is micropennies to what your saw cost.
Akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 20:51   #20
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
so as the next step up, what would you guys recommend in the 24-30" range for more serious use later down the road? was looking at a husquie farm boss iirc with a 24" bar