Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40   #1
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Has anyone ever seen a Glocksmile in nickel cases?

I am starting this somewhat as a complement to Harley45's thread on Water's Method. While thinking about his thread, and Water's Method, I started to wonder if my maximum measurement (which was captured in yellow brass) is even partially applicable to nickel brass (which I mostly use). I just realized that I have NEVER seen a Glocksmile in nickel brass. Have you?

I worry because I know nickel brass expands less, and I usually try to compensate by stepping my maximum case expansion down by .001" to stay safe when using nickel. I'm starting to wonder if that is enough. I know I can figure up a baseline pretty easily, because I have a load that will put minor Glocksmiles in yellow brass, but not nickel. So, I guess I need to make a new, nickel baseline with that load.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen a nickel Glocksmile?
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 21:49   #2
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

All I have ever loaded has been nickel, and I've never seen anything yet. I still havn't loaded over 12.7gr. of Blue Dot, probably gonna go a little higher this weekend.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48   #3
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I am starting this somewhat as a complement to Harley45's thread on Water's Method. While thinking about his thread, and Water's Method, I started to wonder if my maximum measurement (which was captured in yellow brass) is even partially applicable to nickel brass (which I mostly use). I just realized that I have NEVER seen a Glocksmile in nickel brass. Have you?

I worry because I know nickel brass expands less, and I usually try to compensate by stepping my maximum case expansion down by .001" to stay safe when using nickel. I'm starting to wonder if that is enough. I know I can figure up a baseline pretty easily, because I have a load that will put minor Glocksmiles in yellow brass, but not nickel. So, I guess I need to make a new, nickel baseline with that load.

Anyway, has anyone ever seen a nickel Glocksmile?
Yep. Made a few with Glock barrel. Finally got a Barsto barrel no more smileys with brass or nickel. Glock barrels like to smile in 10mm and these were the factory rounds not just mine like Doubltap and winchester.
Old 08-26-2011, 17:50   #4
trukreltrog

Yup, seen it. My factory Glock barrel will bulge Double Tap Nickel cases.
trukreltrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 18:46   #5
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I don't see any glocksmiles now I run KKM.

If anything, primers will come out and brass will be expanded in the chamber and possibly a failure to extract. When it's that hot, I start loading down to the hottest load that had a low standard deviation and high level of precision.

If I went back to my Glock stock barre, I have no doubt I could make the nickel plated Glocksmile - and it wouldn't take very much to do it, either.
Old 08-27-2011, 18:18   #6
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I found out for myself. I found a few Glocksmiles in some of my nickel cases. Unfortunately, I don't know which load caused it. I THINK it was 13.0gr 800-X under a 135gr Nosler, but I'm not sure. I really dodged a bullet and learned I need to inspect my brass better. Last night I found a nickel case with TWO Glocksmiles right on top of each other. Their centerlines were separated by maybe 10 degrees. I got VERY lucky with that piece of brass.
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote