Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:56   #1
Skykings2

Sabbath Keepers

New to the board and just asking if any others observe the 7th day Sabbath and feast as instructed in Lev 23 .While not being jewish we understand who Israel is and our part in it.I'm looking forward to a restful sabbath for sure.
Skykings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:49   #2
Vic Hays

I enjoy the Sabbath because it was given to all men at creation.
It also was included in the Ten Commandments to honor the Creator God.
I don't keep the feast days as I am not a circumcized Jew who observes all of the ceremonial law which was added after the promise was given to Abraham .

Galatians 3:16-18 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say , "And to seeds," as of many, but as of one, "and to your Seed," who is Christ. And this I say that the law which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the p[romise of no effect. For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer a promise, but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Simply put, Abraham did not keep the feast days. There is nothing wrong with keeping them, but they are not necessary for salvation. Circumcised Jews keep them and some belong to my Church.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:16   #3
Skykings2

good to meet you Vic
the whole feast thing can be tough to handle at times ,Judah was only one of the 12 tribes of Israel and the statutes and judgments and blessings,curses,commandments,covenants were given to all the commonwealth of Israel and those of the nations that came out with them .
I always perk up when I see words like forever ,and "in your generations, perpetual which lead me to believe they're as binding now as then and well I did enter in to a blood covenant ,as I think you have , and that is a binding agreement forever.
Salvation is great ,however there are terms that go along with that and the New Covenant church wants to portray only the nice warm fuzzy "let Jesus into your heart" mentality.Once he's there the real work begins and that's one of obedience to Yahshua .The Son came to lead us back to the Father..
Skykings2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:39   #4
off road

One cannot even pretend to be a commandment keeper, if one is ignoring the 4th commandment (Saturday...the 7th day of the week).
off road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51   #5
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by off road View Post
One cannot even pretend to be a commandment keeper, if one is ignoring the 4th commandment (Saturday...the 7th day of the week).
..Or circumcision, or T'filin, or dietary Laws, or....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:09   #6
Roering
Sorting nuts

Kept the sabbath last week! Didn't do a thing on Saturday except hung out at the pool and smoked some baby back ribs. Of course I ate the ribs later in the day so...........

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25   #7
FifthFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Kept the sabbath last week! Didn't do a thing on Saturday except hung out at the pool and smoked some baby back ribs. Of course I ate the ribs later in the day so...........
You do realize cooking is prohibited on the Sabbath nu?

שנית מסדה לא תיפול

Last edited by FifthFreedom; 08-19-2011 at 11:26..
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15   #8
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
You do realize cooking is prohibited on the Sabbath nu?
Who said anything about cooking, I was "smoking".

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28   #9
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
Simply put, Abraham did not keep the feast days.
He may not have kept the Sabbath yet either, it was not a commandment yet right?

Old 08-19-2011, 14:07   #10
achysklic

I am a Sabbath Keeper and also keep all of Gods annual Holy Days.

I am not however a SDA nor Jewish

Last edited by achysklic; 08-19-2011 at 14:07..
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 14:21   #11
Vic Hays

Quote:
He may not have kept the Sabbath yet either, it was not a commandment yet right?
That is a possibility. The Sabbath certainly existed in the Garden of Eden as a special day that God set apart as holy. What people are having problems with is seperating what is a requirement from God for everyone and what was required of the literal flesh nation of Israel.

God included the Sabbath Commandment with the moral laws that He wrote with His own finger. The implication is that the Creator is to be remembered for His creation and His redemption. We are to trust that we can stop working on Sabbath and God will take care of us. This is a moral requirement.

Abraham was actually a Gentile when the promise was first made to him. The promise was made in Genesis 12 and the circumcision was required Genesis 17:10.

As I posted earlier, Galatians 3:16-18 shows that the Gentiles are not required to observe the ceremonial law that was given to the Jews later.

The early Church kept the Seventh-day Sabbath and was composed of Jews and believing Gentiles. When Sabbath keeping was abolished it put a wall between the Gentiles and the Jews. The Seventh-day Adventist Church has many Jews and even Jewish Congregations because this problem does not exist for us.

You claim to want unity. God has His plan as can be seen from the book of Ephesians.

Ephesians 2:11-15 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh-who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands- that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He is our peace, who has broken down the middle wall of seperation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that he might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, therby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Old 08-19-2011, 14:39   #12
Roering
Sorting nuts

Col 2: 16-18
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

Considering Paul's background and that this is inspired writing, I'll agree.

Old 08-19-2011, 14:48   #13
FifthFreedom

Quote:
Who said anything about cooking, I was "smoking".
It's still "cooking" and where there is smoke there would be fire or no?

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
Old 08-19-2011, 14:51   #14
FifthFreedom

Quote:
That is a possibility. The Sabbath certainly existed in the Garden of Eden as a special day that God set apart as holy. What people are having problems with is seperating what is a requirement from God for everyone and what was required of the literal flesh nation of Israel.

God included the Sabbath Commandment with the moral laws that He wrote with His own finger. The implication is that the Creator is to be remembered for His creation and His redemption. We are to trust that we can stop working on Sabbath and God will take care of us. This is a moral requirement.

Abraham was actually a Gentile when the promise was first made to him. The promise was made in Genesis 12 and the circumcision was required Genesis 17:10.

As I posted earlier, Galatians 3:16-18 shows that the Gentiles are not required to observe the ceremonial law that was given to the Jews later.

The early Church kept the Seventh-day Sabbath and was composed of Jews and believing Gentiles. When Sabbath keeping was abolished it put a wall between the Gentiles and the Jews. The Seventh-day Adventist Church has many Jews and even Jewish Congregations because this problem does not exist for us.

You claim to want unity. God has His plan as can be seen from the book of Ephesians.

Ephesians 2:11-15 Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh-who are called Uncircumcision by what is called the Circumcision made in the flesh by hands- that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He is our peace, who has broken down the middle wall of seperation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that he might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, therby putting to death the enmity. And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

What exactly are these "ceremonial" Laws you keep referring to? All of The Law was given at Sinai, both are just as important.
The Holy days for example..Yom Kippur, Pesach, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot. These laws were commanded and they are "for all time" Whether "paul" thinks they are important or not isn't relevant. Yet you are correct, they are not for non-Jews.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
Old 08-19-2011, 14:59   #15
BradD

Quote:
Col 2: 16-18
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."

Considering Paul's background and that this is inspired writing, I'll agree.
I agree with you, and you forgot to mention the whole book of Galatians...

After reading a lot of threads like this one in here, I spent a month studying Galatians, and I really don't see where some of you fellows are coming from (except FifthFreedom, of course). Paul wore out the topic of keeping the Mosaic Law either as a part of justification or as something one does after being justified.

Yeah, I know, one or three of you guys will bombard with three or four pages of quoted text but I verified what I'd concluded by studying what some experts like MacArthur, McGee, and Jeremiah think about the subject--same as I'd concluded.

Salvation = by grace through faith. Sanctification by the Spirit also--if you can't get to salvation by obeying the Law, what makes you think you can stay there by obeying it? Makes no sense. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Galatians 3 (NASB)
1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

Romans 3:23 -> 6:23 -> 5:8 -> 10:9 -> 10:13

Last edited by BradD; 08-19-2011 at 15:19..
BradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 15:11   #16
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
What exactly are these "ceremonial" Laws you keep referring to? All of The Law was given at Sinai, both are just as important.
The Holy days for example..Yom Kippur, Pesach, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot. These laws were commanded and they are "for all time" Whether "paul" thinks they are important or not isn't relevant. Yet you are correct, they are not for non-Jews.
God Himself seperated the two laws. One was written by God Himself, the other by Moses.

The Early Christian Church made a distinction.

Acts 21:19-25 Whe he had greeted them, he told in detail those things which God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord. And they said to him, "You see, brother, how many myriads of Jews there are who have believed, and they are all zealous for the law; "but they have been informed about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. What then? The assembly must certainly meet, for they will hear that you have come. "Therefore do what we tell you. We have four men who have taken a vow. "Take them and be purified with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads, and that all may know that those things of which they were informed concerning you are nothing, but that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law. "But concerning the Gentiles who believe, we have written and decided that they should keep themselves from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality."

Last edited by Vic Hays; 08-19-2011 at 15:12..
Old 08-19-2011, 15:16   #17
achysklic

Quote:
God Himself seperated the two laws. One was written by God Himself, the other by Moses.

Acts 21:19-25 Whe he had greeted them, he told in detail those things which God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord. And they said to him, "You see, brother, how many myriads of Jews there are who have believed, and they are all zealous for the law; "but they have been informed about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. What then? The assembly must certainly meet, for they will hear that you have come. "Therefore do what we tell you. We have four men who have taken a vow. "Take them and be purified with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads, and that all may know that those things of which they were informed concerning you are nothing, but that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law. "But concerning the Gentiles who believe, we have written and decided that they should keep themselves from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality."

Vic, read Lev. 23 after doing that I ask.....Who's laws are they? Who gave them? And for how long are the laws for? Also who are the laws given too?
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 15:19   #18
FifthFreedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I agree with you, and you forgot to mention the whole book of Galatians...

After reading a lot of threads like this one in here, I spent a month studying Galatians, and I really don't see where some of you fellows are coming from (except FifthFreedom, of course). Paul wore out the topic of keeping the Mosaic Law either as a part of justification or as something one does after being justified.

Yeah, I know, one or three of you guys will bombard with three or four pages of quoted text but I've researched what fellows like MacArthur, Jeremiah, McGee, etc. think (after I'd studied it on my own--they all say what I'd concluded) about this subject and it's pretty clear to me. Salvation = by grace through faith. Sanctification by the Spirit also--if you can't get to salvation by obeying the Law, what makes you think you can stay there by obeying it? Makes no sense. See below.

Problem is Brad, The words "Salvation" when used in the Hebrew bible means something totally different than in does in "christianese" So people often get confused.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
Old 08-19-2011, 15:25   #19
Brasso

Nothing but confusion on here when it comes to the commandments.

The Law given 430 years later was dealing with the Tabernacle, not the Torah.

The Torah is for ALL Israel. Period.

The people who throw Galatians around tickle me the most. They have no problems with keeping the hundreds of man made and N.T. commandments but somehow think keeping those "old testament" laws is somehow a sin. That keeping them is legalistic, but keeping the other 9 isn't. Whatever.
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 15:26   #20
FifthFreedom

Quote:

Acts 21:19-25

Here you and the authors of Acts are clearly 100% wrong.

Leviticus 27:34

" There are the commandments that HaShem commanded Moshe to the Children of Israel on Mount Sinai."
All of the commandments were given to Moshe by HaShem to give to Israel. Moses didn't make up any new commandments not would he have been able to without being in violation of the Torah itself.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול

Last edited by FifthFreedom; 08-19-2011 at 15:27..