Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:58   #1
bullseye9mm

Amazing Ankle Holster Glock 26/27/33

I have to let you guys and gals know about my experience.

I have carried for a very long time IWB and OWB.
Due to a recent change in work environment, I found myself unable to carry IWB or OWB, unless I was wearing a sport coat. Office is business casual, so I opted for an ankle holster for my G27.

First holster, Desantis Apache....good quality, poor comfort...the snap for the retention dug into the side of my and over time, started to make my calf ache....other than the snap, its a great holster.

Second holster- Galco Ankle Glove....Oh..My..God.. it is the most COMFORTABLE ankle rig I have used so far. The retention snap is not anywhere near my leg and the neoprene is AMAZINGLY comfortable and secure.

For comfort and secure carry 8-12 hrs a day, I would recommend the ankle glove.
For Occasional ankle carry for 8 hrs a day, I could recommend the Apache for budget sake, but I would still recommend the ankle glove.

I have had an Alessi ankle rig many moons ago, and haven't had chance to look into them since I got rid of the first one.. But for budget minded people who rely on a comfortable ankle holster, Galco Ankle glove is what you're looking for.

and I know, I know

So here you are!
(I'm not a paid spokesperson or sales person for either manufacturer)
Attached Thumbnails
Carry Issues - Click for larger version  
bullseye9mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 13:07   #2
railfancwb

How long does it take with an ankle holster before you can walk without a hitch in your gitalong?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:17   #3
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
How long does it take with an ankle holster before you can walk without a hitch in your gitalong?
So true. I have been walking for over 50 years with no AH.
Old 04-30-2015, 13:54   #4
BillKillgore

It doesn't take too long to get used to an ankle holster - about like the house-arrest monitor on the other ankle.

BillKillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 14:40   #5
Steve in PA

I've been using the Galco Ankle Glove with my 642 for over two years. Awesome holster. I can forget it's even there that is how comfortable it is.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:23   #6
bullseye9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post

Honestly, I really don't notice a difference in my walking...I know the first week was awkward, but now I really don't even feel it much...the holster spreads the weight out pretty well.
One of my friends is a firearms instructor/agent with the federal government and he always tries to call me out when he notices anything if I'm carrying. He never made me on the ankle holster, and he even said he was trying to pay attention to everything and actually called me out for not carrying when I showed him the holster.
bullseye9mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:29   #7
COUS2492

I liked my apache for my p238, but I can see that rig being problematic with bigger guns.
COUS2492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 21:26   #8
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

Here's some practical advice from someone who ankle carried for many, many years.

Get a white athletic sock and cut the foot part off so all you basically have is a tube. Slide the tube over your foot like you would a regular sock. Put on your ankle holster like you normally would, over the tube part of the sock. Then, put your dress sock on and pull it up OVER the gun and holster. This will conceal your firearm better and provide additional support for the gun so you won't need to use the auxiliary calf strap that comes with a lot of them. It keeps the gun from wiggling around and provides additional "cover" for your gun in case your pant cuff rides up.
Old 05-01-2015, 22:54   #9
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima Pants View Post
Here's some practical advice from someone who ankle carried for many, many years.

Get a white athletic sock and cut the foot part off so all you basically have is a tube. Slide the tube over your foot like you would a regular sock. Put on your ankle holster like you normally would, over the tube part of the sock. Then, put your dress sock on and pull it up OVER the gun and holster. This will conceal your firearm better and provide additional support for the gun so you won't need to use the auxiliary calf strap that comes with a lot of them. It keeps the gun from wiggling around and provides additional "cover" for your gun in case your pant cuff rides up.
I've considered carrying my 642 Airweight as a backup this way. But, I wondered how it stays concealed if you are in a sitting position? It rides low on the ankle (by the photo). In a sitting position, pant legs usually ride up at least a couple of inches. I would expect it to reveal this holster. So, unless I stand and never sit down, is this really concealed? I sit down a lot!

Thanks!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:00   #10
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I've tried a few ankle holsters for my 642. I couldn't get used to the weight on my ankle. Couldn't imagine a much heavier gun an the ankle like my 27.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:43   #11
cadillacguns

Never a problem with my Apache, but good for you.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:43   #12
joeglock19

I use the Galco Ankle Glove with my J frame. (S&W Model 38) Most comfortable ankle holster that I have ever used.
joeglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 23:12   #13
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
I've considered carrying my 642 Airweight as a backup this way. But, I wondered how it stays concealed if you are in a sitting position? It rides low on the ankle (by the photo). In a sitting position, pant legs usually ride up at least a couple of inches. I would expect it to reveal this holster. So, unless I stand and never sit down, is this really concealed? I sit down a lot!

Thanks!
With the athletic sock described in my post above and using the outside sock to hide the gun and holster, it allowed me to place the gun higher on my leg and kept it from moving lower or showing at all. I would also cross my legs in such a way that the "lump" on my leg was concealed.

Wearing the gun a little bit higher on the leg may cost an extra half second during retrieval, but conceals it really well.

Ankle carry has never been the fastest way to draw your gun but it is a great way to hide the fact that you are carrying.

Last edited by Pima Pants; 05-02-2015 at 23:15..
Pima Pants is offline   Reply With Quote