Important Notice: The site is currently being upgraded to a new software system. This process could take a day or two to complete. During that time, we are going to leave the site up here, on its old software. WHAT GETS POSTED HERE DURING THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE COPIED OVER ONTO THE NEW SITE, WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE. When we swap over, the content posted while this message is visible will be lost. We wanted to give you folks a place to hang out and talk while we worked though. We will let you know when we are finished. Please pardon the inconvenience, during this transition.

Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45   #1
Lordgrim

Looking for help choosing a G19 Conceal Carry holster

Hello all i have been carrying a glock 42 in a pocket holster but i recently picked up a Gen 4 Glock 19 and im struggling to find the right carry holster as i am a big guy. 6'2" 285 lbs i had a 23C for a while and i tried using a Galco King tuck and i could never get it comfortable any of the other users out there that are on the bigger size that carry a 19 or a 23 your input would be extremely welcome. i carry every day and i work a 9-10 hour shift mostly sitting in front of a computer. also what kind of belt do you reccomend?
Lordgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:51   #2
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I have over 100 holsters. I've reviewed many of them in this thread.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1522065
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:55   #3
sugarcreek
familyman

I always appreciated holsters like the VM-2 or brommelands's Max-con.
Good very good. Kydex has appeal. Never like the look of the super tuck thing.

I have a KLIPT Ambi IWB and it does a great job. I have a center clip KLIPT and like it. Easy on and off. Retention is not adjustable or very aggressive. It works.

I am curious myself about the Remora Tuckable and that Nate Squared stuff.
Are they as able? Are they more comfortable? Good luck looking around.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17   #4
SuperSleuth

My first choice for holsters is a leather VM2-style IWB holster. Several makers offer such holsters. I have some "tactical padding" around my waist and I've effectively and comfortably concealed a steel K-frame revolver with such a holster.

I've also used a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 with a Glock 23 to good effect, but they're not quite as comfortable as the VM2-style holsters. I believe Brownells usually has them in stock.

My first choice for belts is The Beltman.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:17   #5
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordgrim View Post
Hello all i have been carrying a glock 42 in a pocket holster but i recently picked up a Gen 4 Glock 19 and im struggling to find the right carry holster as i am a big guy. 6'2" 285 lbs i had a 23C for a while and i tried using a Galco King tuck and i could never get it comfortable any of the other users out there that are on the bigger size that carry a 19 or a 23 your input would be extremely welcome. i carry every day and i work a 9-10 hour shift mostly sitting in front of a computer. also what kind of belt do you reccomend?
Some people prefer carry at the appendix (AIWB), some at 2 O'clock, some at 3 O'clock, and some at about 3:30-4:00. Some prefer Kydex construction, some prefer horsehide or cowhide, and some prefer Kydex/leather composite holsters. Some prefer to carry outside the waistband (OWB). (If that describes you, I can recommend a zero-cant, short-shield Raven Phantom with the OWB pancake wings.) Most seats have lateral bolsters that interfere significantly with strong-side access and comfort, so when you include the activity of driving, especially for extended periods, the only position that really works for me is appendix. The stability issue, for me, is best addressed with a solid Kydex loop (rather than soft loops). (The better holster makers offer the customer the option of fixed loop, belt clip, or soft loops.) For me, the CCC Shaggy and the Keeper's Concealment Keeper work best. The Kydex loop - which is sized to the belt - really helps keep thing on an even keel. No doubt, the potential risks associated with appendix carry scares some people, and no doubt, some poorly designed (so-called) "appendix" holsters are no more comfortable than anything else, but the proper AIWB holster is a joy to carry, all of the time, everywhere, including long hours riding in an automobile. Appendix carry is not for everybody; it is only for the serious student who is willing to take the time to do it safely.
<http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-%28Appendix-Carry%29>

With IWB, or AIWB, for optimal comfort you'll want to have some extra space in your waistband. About 2" for just the pistol (but more like 4" if you intend to carry magazines IWB too). For optimal comfort, you might want some extra rise too. 5.11 pants are very comfortable for this; you might want to choose something else, but you could do a lot worse than choosing one that emulates the 5.11's fit.
In my experience, the pants' rise is a critical factor in comfort (or discomfort). Most 5.11 pants have a higher rise than do most jeans, and permit a higher belt ride. Another factor is the comfort-stretchy waistband. Most 5.11 pants have an elastic waistband, and most jeans do not. Advantage 5.11, IME.

The stiffness of the belt is important; the stiffer the belt the better the support; the stiff belt does not have to be cinched as tightly as a more flexible belt. In addition to that, the design of the ranger belt adds circumferential support (compared to the floppy buckle used by Wilderness) with a reduced requirement for a tight tension. You might try a combination of an uber-stiff ranger belt and quality suspenders (tastefully concealed) under a cover garment. The suspenders can add lift to the stiff belt, and the suspenders can be concealed under the cover garment, just like your holster.

For the last decade, I've worn Wilderness belts almost exclusively. The Ares Ranger belt set a new standard in stiffness, and it made me a believer, but, because of the (too-large) size of the Cobra buckle and the relative ease-of-use of the Wilderness belt, Wilderness belts remain in my daily-wear mix; I still wear Wilderness belts for 12/24h 4/8d (at least). The Volund Atlas' G-hook buckle and closure is very different, and I was skeptical of it's utility, but - once tried - it immediately won me over. It is fast to don, adequately stiff for the purpose, totally silent, easy to drop-trou, and totally comfortable. As of today, if I had to choose only one belt, the Volund Gearworks' Atlas belt - with the G-hook - would be my first choice.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 14:06   #6
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

Another vote for the Versa Max II by Milt Sparks. I love mine and it is the most comfortable holster I have. It also fits the G23.
Old 04-27-2015, 16:39   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

My personal opinion...

Fix the belt first, and see if that makes your current crop of holsters more comfortable. A stable, sturdy belt is SO important to comfortable ccw... more important than the actual holster I think...

http://thebeltman.net is the only link you need for a belt.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 19:14   #8
Tucker3434

I use a N82 with my g19. It's a little pricey but very comfortable. It's got a large footprint which keeps the grip from digging into my love handles. I don't have the drawer full of holsters that some here have, but I've got several. The N82 is the most comfortable one I've tried.
Tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 19:40   #9
Cain8768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker3434 View Post
I use a N82 with my g19. It's a little pricey but very comfortable. It's got a large footprint which keeps the grip from digging into my love handles. I don't have the drawer full of holsters that some here have, but I've got several. The N82 is the most comfortable one I've tried.

+1. I love mine. It works great with both my G19 and G26.
Cain8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 19:43   #10
allegro

I have carried my G23(3) for over 12 years with a Fobus paddle-style unit with much comfort and success.

I decided to explore a second holster for my newest acquisition, my G19(4). Did a lot of research on the interweb and decided on a new(er) product from Israel.

I picked up the IMI Defense polymer unit. 15* cant and a "no rivet" single-piece design.

Its a nice piece and fits closer to my torso than the Fobus so it "prints" less. Now the G23 rides in the new hauler.

Carry Issues

http://www.imidefense.com/black-poly...k-Holster.html

G23(3) Carry, G19(4), Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22

Last edited by allegro; 04-27-2015 at 19:44..
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 19:18   #11
RaiderCop
NRA Life Member

Another vote for the Raven Concealment Phantom. IWB or OWB. I use it on and off duty.

Sometimes there's justice and sometimes there's just us!
RaiderCop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:35   #12
AVMan

When I carry my 36, I use a PJ Holster tuckable at 4:00 (10 degree cant)

I've carried my 19 or 36 appendix in a Gallo Stow-N-Go (zero cant) appendix at 1:00.

I have also carried my 19 (and sometimes the 36, it fits) in an RDR Holsters IWB at 4:00, not as comfortable as the PJ but since I've been losing weight and the love handles, I'm liking it a bit more. It's also got a 10 cant.

G19 Gen 2 | G21SF Gen 3 | G36 Gen 3 | Sprinfield Armory 1911A1 | Ruger 22/45 | Ruger 10/22 (x 2) | Mossberg 500 A | AR Carbine
AVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 17:39   #13
JWagIII

It's what you like, I use Crossbreed, Nate, Kangaroo Air Marshal, and the holster used most often M.I.C. at 3 or 4 o'clock. I'm 6' tall and 205lbs. Try several and find the one you like.
JWagIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:18   #14
Ylager

Ditto on the N82 (original tuckable). Very comfortable IWB for my g19 & g30s. I also have a Raven Phantom for OWB. As stated, a good belt is necessary.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35   #15
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleuth View Post
My first choice for holsters is a leather VM2-style IWB holster. Several makers offer such holsters. I have some "tactical padding" around my waist and I've effectively and comfortably concealed a steel K-frame revolver with such a holster.

I've also used a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 with a Glock 23 to good effect, but they're not quite as comfortable as the VM2-style holsters. I believe Brownells usually has them in stock.

My first choice for belts is The Beltman.
Sounds very good.
Old 04-30-2015, 21:16   #16
Gpruitt54

Good luck with choosing a holster. There so many style, types, brands, and price range. What is your budget for the holster, and do you prefer leather, Kydex, or combo leather/Kydex?

The belt will probably be the simplest choice. Just buy a belt intended for firearm carry and of the size you need.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:03   #17
EAJuggalo

Send a message via AIM to EAJuggalo Send a message via Yahoo to EAJuggalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
My personal opinion...

Fix the belt first, and see if that makes your current crop of holsters more comfortable. A stable, sturdy belt is SO important to comfortable ccw... more important than the actual holster I think...

I agree with the sentiment but not necessarily the brand recommendation. I carried for over 8 years on a Looper Leather belt available from Blade-Tech, and since the first of the year I've been mostly carrying on a Wilderness Instructor CSM. Both have been great and each has it's own look.

The belt is the most important piece of your carry system. A good belt will make almost any crappy holster serviceable and really makes good ones shine. A crappy belt with the best holster on the market is still going to seem a little crappy.
Updated 04-30-2015
EAJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:28   #18
Spats McGee

I agree on the "fix the belt first" sentiment. I've never owned a Beltman belt, but I use an Aker B21 or a DeSantis Econobelt, depending on the rest of my outfit for the day. Both work well without looking like gunbelts.
Spats McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:15   #19
ColoGlock65

Several posters have stated that you should get a well made (equals pricey) belt, then go from there. I carry G19 and G23. During the summer months, I use a 3Speed Appendix carry. Also have a N82 IWB which is very comfortable. Most of the winter, I use a Serpa OWB.

Recently purchased a new belt with sewn in stiffener and it holds the Serpa holster closer to my body. No flopping around.

Bought each of my holsters after much research. I couldn't afford to buy a drawer full of holsters. I'm very happy with my current holsters.

Good luck with your search for a holster. Thanks to all the members for their input. I always learn something new in reading the posts. Glad I found GlockTalk.
Glock 23 Gen 4
Glock 19 Gen 3
ColoGlock65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22   #20
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
My personal opinion...

BINGO.

thebeltman.net or Ares Gear. For me, the stiffer the belt the better. I consider the Ranger belt from Ares gear to be "flimsiest" belt that I'd recommend, it is also my favorite belt. If Ares Gear ever comes out with a Ranger belt that has a stiffener insert in it, I'll instantly be buying a few. For many years, the Aker B21 belt was my belt of choice. It is a damn good belt for the money.

If, after getting a good belt you still want to get a new holster, I'd recommend looking at JM Custom Kydex. The IWB Version 2 from JM is a near perfect holster.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote