Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2014, 19:24   #1
Hawghanger

Is printing a big issue

I carry a Glock 17 with a Serpa Blackhawk OWB holster using the 4 oclock position. The only down side to this set up is printing.I am convinced the vast majority of people will not know you are carrying, even if you are printing badly.( The current trend of big smart phones works to our advantage in this.) To me the advantages of my set up out weigh the printing issue. I was just wanting some other opinions on this issue.
Hawghanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:33   #2
Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawghanger View Post
I carry a Glock 17 with a Serpa Blackhawk OWB holster using the 4 oclock position. The only down side to this set up is printing.I am convinced the vast majority of people will not know you are carrying, even if you are printing badly.( The current trend of big smart phones works to our advantage in this.) To me the advantages of my set up out weigh the printing issue. I was just wanting some other opinions on this issue.
A Glock 22 won't be confused with a cell phone in that Blackhawk. I'm in a open carry state so I carry my Blackhawk open now, but when it was concealed I had to were a unsnapped western shirt over my t shirt to hide it in that holster.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:37   #3
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:

I will rarely if ever use a Serpa holster for concealed carry. It doesn't conceal well and if I have to draw my firearm I want have as little steps as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:44   #4
RichardinNC

My opinion is that, if a person carries concealed, it means no printing.
Sure, the vast majority of the public will not notice but IMHO concealed means just that. You can probably work out some combination of holster and type of clothing that will eliminate the printing issue. This may take some time and a little trial and error. Good luck with your concealed carry.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help" - Ronald Regan
RichardinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 19:49   #5
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum! If I were you if you're concerned about printing go IWB. But if you're stuck on the SERPA id use a jacket over your shirt. Sure the mass majority of people won't notice but you'll still get spotted whether you know it or not.

And just to add, although I own and occasionally use a SERPA, I've heard some stories about guys gettin inside the trigger guard while drawing when depressing the release switch with their index finger.

Old 09-06-2014, 20:16   #6
Razed By Wolves

A full size gun in an OWB holster should be fine most of the time depending how you dress but it would be likely to print if you twist or bend.

My usual carry rig is a subcompact G26 in an IWB holster at 4:00 under a cover shirt like an untucked button collar shirt. Its invisible most of the time but if I bend at the waist too much or crouch down on both knees the gun will print. You would have to be close and looking to see it. I'm 'looking for the gun' all the time but have never actually spotted one that was poorly concealed.

The only concern is a G17 has quite a bit more grip to stick out and print.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Razed By Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 21:04   #7
Bruce M

Mostly printing is probably is not an issue at all. But depending on who sees the printing, it might become an issue or inconvenience. I try to avoid printing because I do not want the headache even though there are not legal issues here.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 22:53   #8
xmanhockey7

I personally hate printing. It bothers me that I'm supposed to be concealing a gun and someone with a trained eye could spot it. I don't overly fret about it in public, but that's because I've already checked it out at home.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:48   #9
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Doing anything halfway is a loser move. Printing advertises that the bearer is either bad at carrying, or just not that bright all around. It's easy to conceal properly.
Quote:
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49   #10
DaverZ

I usually wear shirts a size larger than I would normally wear because it helps with the printing issue.I also started carrying in an IWB kydex holster from RDR custom kydex.Together they pretty much make my G36 invisible.You pretty much have to dress around your carry piece.Printing for me is a pretty big deal,I feel like I would be wearing a neon sign on my forehead advertising the fact that I'm carrying,I know this is silly because as others have mentioned,the cell phone zombies probably wouldn't notice a city bus headed for them along with the clueless throngs and surround us on a dailey basis but there may be people out there looking for signs that someone is carrying so I try to be as descrete as possible in this regard.
DaverZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00   #11
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverZ View Post
I usually wear shirts a size larger than I would normally wear because it helps with the printing issue.I also started carrying in an IWB kydex holster from RDR custom kydex.Together they pretty much make my G36 invisible.You pretty much have to dress around your carry piece.Printing for me is a pretty big deal,I feel like I would be wearing a neon sign on my forehead advertising the fact that I'm carrying,I know this is silly because as others have mentioned,the cell phone zombies probably wouldn't notice a city bus headed for them along with the clueless throngs and surround us on a dailey basis but there may be people out there looking for signs that someone is carrying so I try to be as descrete as possible in this regard.

I personally think the people looking for signs will know either way.

As for the specific issue of printing, I print sometimes. It's not a lot and I personally can't carry a gun that doesn't create a "bulge" on my side. I do the same thing you do, I wear larger T-Shirts. And button down shirts and have only been caught once printing by a fellow ccwer, and that was because I wasn't sitting properly and was creating a pretty clear outline. I thanked him and changed my position immediately by standing. **** happens. I try to limit that **** to as little as possible. But we are human and things happen.

The bulge looks like a cell phone. I can live with that. When it changes from a simple bulge to an outline of a firearm is what I try to prevent and change. I carry a large gun(xdm 3.8 .40) OWB.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:09   #12
dakrat

Ever since I ran out of cartridge, I dont print anymore
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26   #13
chuckmiller
near Tampa FL

Is printing just unwise since it makes it obvious you have a firearm someone might want to grab, or is it actually not legal in some states? Which states?
chuckmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:09   #14
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
Is printing just unwise since it makes it obvious you have a firearm someone might want to grab, or is it actually not legal in some states? Which states?
This was my take on it..I make sure I dont print because thats the whole part of CONCEALED carry...no one knows but you(maybe family/friends). I DO NOT know but have heard in some states if your printing badly enough that its "obvious" your carrying that thats actually illegal....something to do with state CC laws..better make sure of that also. I didnt even know about the printing thing till I saw it here some time ago...meaning in some places it being illegal. Maybe someone knows this place is a wealth of info.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24   #15
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
Ever since I ran out of cartridge, I dont print anymore
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:39   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I have to admit, living in an Open or Concealed carry state, not to mention a fairly gun friendly state at that... I don't get overly concerned with it. I make reasonable efforts to stay concealed.. but if I flash, or I'm slightly printing. I've saw enough guns horribly printing in this city (a few almost laughable).. that I'm guessing how little I've printed in the past... is probably going unnoticed.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

The question of printing entirely depends upon state, locality, and personal situation.

To those who don't think printing is a big deal, then fine, don't worry about it.

Otherwise, carrying concealed means no printing
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:32   #18
wjv

In some States/Cities, printing = brandishing or "open carry" and can get you arrested. .

Thankfully in many States those types of laws are being changed so that printing or accidental exposure is not a crime.

Check your local laws. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 17:35   #19
shockglock

Concealed means concealed in my book. I make every effort to not print. Unfortunately, there are times when you bend a certain way that causes printing. I try to avoid stretching and bending in those certain ways. Nothing is full proof, but do your best to conceal your firearm. A vast majority of people are clueless to what goes on around them.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 18:54   #20
RonS

One of the great fighter aces of WWII commented once that the majority of his victories were because he saw the other plane first. He saw the other guy because he had excellent eyes and he was constantly looking.

The person you need to fear the most is the bad guy who is like that fighter pilot, who is watching everything and will manuver into your blindspot and take you out before you know he is there.

As the good guy you are almost always going to be reacting to something that someone else is doing. That's bad enough. Letting the bad guy plan for the fact that you are armed would be worse.