SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:29   #141
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahIrishman View Post
A mope is a more advanced dope...thus mope. Not advanced in the sense that they've raised the bar on being a dope, but rather have lowered it to a new all time low

Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood arm-chair quarterback
That one was easy. Now can you explain the difference between a mope, aa dope, and a scrote!
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26   #142
Misty02

Quote:
Some thoughts

This thread has given me more food for thought than any has in quite some time. I find myself being more aware of my surroundings but not in an obtrusive way. It's an interesting exercise in 'balance' between staying alert not looking like a victim and blending in.

I'm becoming more successful at blending in. For example yesterday at the grocery store 'Johnny Rambo' dressed in camo pants and gun T-shirt stood with his back to the far wall 'waiting' for his wife. While he 'ahem' took point without realizing it, the rest of us kind gentle souls did our shopping in peace and quiet with no notice from Johnny.

So that brings up, maybe, another way of 'blending' in, misdirection. Here is a guy who shouts 'gun' drawing the attention of those who aren't totally blind.

Do you think the Johnny Rambo's of this world help the gray guy blend in better by bringing attention to themselves? Or is it making people think more about concealed carry in general and thus maybe more alert to others?
That was good, UtahIrishman. I believe people generally divert little attention to what is going on around them unless it is something as obvious as what you described. In that case, people may not be able to resist focusing on that person. That is likely to be good for everyone else. Conversely, someone that stands there on guard as this gentleman seems to have done might be someone Iíll scan a few more times that I would scan someone else to see if he is focusing on anyone in particular. I work at not being so obvious and may inadvertently miss something that he may not.

It happens when you go somewhere where there are police officers or guards, once you have identified them, if they are focusing on something, among the first instincts is to identify what caught their attention. Depending on what it is, it may map a direction you donít walk toward while paying a little more attention at what they could have missed and/or the path with least traffic to the closest exit. They may have to stay to handle whatever problem arises, I certainly donít.

It is ok (in my book) to let others do some of the work for me Johnny Rambo, security guards, officers, etc. Someone that is overtly focusing on someone else will get a little attention from me too, just not to the point where I lose sight of all else around me, quite the contrary.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:54   #143
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
This thread has given me more food for thought than any has in quite some time. I find myself being more aware of my surroundings but not in an obtrusive way. It's an interesting exercise in 'balance' between staying alert not looking like a victim and blending in.
You have no idea how much that pleases me. Did Russ put you up to posting this? (I kid on that last.)
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:03   #144
bsg1

Last edited by bsg1; 08-27-2011 at 11:06.. Reason: error
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06   #145
bsg1

Last edited by bsg1; 08-27-2011 at 11:08..
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:24   #146
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
You have no idea how much that pleases me. Did Russ put you up to posting this? (I kid on that last.)
Many of us (ok me) have a lot to learn, Sam. You have no clue how attentive I am of your posts and that of others that share what they know to improve our odds out there.

I liked this one for multiple reasons; one of them being that people watching is one of pastimes wherever I go, even before I started carrying. It has been interesting to give it multi-purpose and utilize it for something meaningful.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 08-27-2011, 11:56   #147
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty02 View Post
There have been a couple of times when I knew I was still being watched, one of those times I risked direct eye contact with small head nod and a smile implying a ďHiĒ. I think the man was a tad embarrassed he got caught looking, smiled back and left the area. For the most part I try to project the message I want the other person to receive without acknowledging that Iím aware of their presence.
I can only wonder if the messages being sent and received were the ones intended.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:12   #148
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I can only wonder if the messages being sent and received were the ones intended.

Regards,
Happyguy
HEYYYY! What are you implying?!?

I had not noticed his facial features until I made direct eye contact and he was definitely not unpleasant to look at. In my defense, I didn’t know that until I allowed myself to focus on his face so I’m NOT taking the rap for sending the message you might be implying. So there!

Outpost Member #69

Last edited by Misty02; 08-27-2011 at 12:12..
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36   #149
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Me? Nooooo... No, really, no, I didn't, really!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:40   #150
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Me? Nooooo... No, really, no, I didn't, really!!
Small bills only please

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 18:06   #151
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
What is a 'mope'?
hahaha, sorry, I guess its a location thing. Not used everywhere. I use it to refer to people that probably should be locked up, people that are in/out of jail all the time. Thugs, bandits, gangbangers, call them whatever you like.

Definition from Urban Dictionary.

" Mope
A person of any race or culture that is: presenting themselves as uneducated (either by mannerisms or the clothing they are wearing). Plural = Mopes Mopes usually are up to no good and may have an extensive criminal record and a limited vocabulary.

(N) A person of lower socio-economic status that leeches off the greater good of society, is lazy and is normally involved in some sort of criminal activity."

Last edited by JohnHoliday; 08-27-2011 at 18:08..
JohnHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42   #152
Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
So beyond carrying all the hardware, does it really matter if you smile at a potential "bad guy"? Does giving him "the look" make you any safer
Every time I do "THE LOOK" my eight year old grand-daughter starts laughing hysterically! She says "you look funny grandpa". Maybe I need to practice?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47   #153
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Good thread is still good.

Hey Russ, sticky perhaps?
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58   #154
jay-bird
goin' broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2afreedom View Post
Yeah a guy with a Glock hat, photographer's vest, fannypack, and 5.11 pants is really not doing much to conceal anything. I don't think I have one piece of clothing with a firearms logo on it and I certainly don't have any 5.11 anything. Why someone wants to wear all those flashing lights that scream, "I have a gun!" is beyond me. Concealed is more than just not having a Desert Eagle strapped to your hip.
There's a liquor store owner in my city who wears a GLOCK hat behind the counter.

I guarantee it works in his favor.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:30   #155
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
Good thread is still good.

Hey Russ, sticky perhaps?
Done, thanks for the reminder...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57   #156
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Done, thanks for the reminder...
No problem. I would hate to see a thread with so much good info and insight get buried.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:34   #157
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

i live at the beach and summer is usually the longest and hardest to carry during. flip flops, shorts, slim t-shirt. i usually carry a g26 with stock mag. my mags with extensions do print ((to me.) wife says she cant see, but i have better pom with stock). sometimes i do catch myself touching the shirt. usually after bending down or carrying the kiddo. the slim shirts are what makes it tough but if i alter to wide or larger i would feel uncomfortable and just not be me. lol thats why i got the nice new glock. my "springy" wasnt summer enough!

lots of times i have a backpack made by camelback. ditch the bladder and i have a water tight padded compartment right next against my back with the zipper starting on my strong side low position. perfect. and with the little man its a cool young dads diaperbag... complete with hg, reload, 2 knives, toys, diapers wipes, little first aid kid, snacks and camera. haha try to pick me out when im at the mall.

well... dont try, cause now its easy. crud...
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 17:35   #158
bug

I have seen many a gray man give them selves away by trying to carry someplace they can not by law.

Example: I was at a amusement park last year that sells alcohol, and I watched a few people walk to the gate see the sign and turn back for there cars.
now if some one else sees this they can figure on a few things.
A: You now have no gun.
B: They no where to find a unattended gun in a car.
C: There is a good chance you will not be back to that car for a few hours.

Its best to know your laws as well as you can so don't give yourself away.
Old 09-26-2011, 14:32   #159
smitty704

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
I have seen many a gray man give them selves away by trying to carry someplace they can not by law.

Example: I was at a amusement park last year that sells alcohol, and I watched a few people walk to the gate see the sign and turn back for there cars.
now if some one else sees this they can figure on a few things.
A: You now have no gun.
B: They no where to find a unattended gun in a car.
C: There is a good chance you will not be back to that car for a few hours.

Its best to know your laws as well as you can so don't give yourself away.
Great point
smitty704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 21:37   #160
f350fiver

Send a message via Skype™ to f350fiver
This is good information. I appreciate the responses without a lot of joking. I hope to be carrying by the end of the year and this will help not make the rookie mistakes.

Life is simple, do the work.
f350fiver is offline   Reply With Quote