SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:58   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Who here resisted religion?

It can be said religion is something people are indocrinated into as children when young and impressionable and can be taught to believe anything. I have a very catholic family. Tried to send me to catholic school, had m in church, etc. I easily pointed out how illogical many teachings were and how the bible has been havily edited in history as even a little kid. Today I have learned to accept that i do not know the true nature of the universe, i a god exists, if their is life after death, and am willing to accept that i will not know these things, i do not wish to force myself to believe an answer based on that faith thing. I knwo many people who were raised religious and believe everything they were taught, or raised athiest and same deal. Anyone had something pushed on you and didn't fall for it?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:51   #2
Norske

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
It can be said religion is something people are indocrinated into as children when young and impressionable and can be taught to believe anything. I have a very catholic family. Tried to send me to catholic school, had m in church, etc. I easily pointed out how illogical many teachings were and how the bible has been havily edited in history as even a little kid. Today I have learned to accept that i do not know the true nature of the universe, i a god exists, if their is life after death, and am willing to accept that i will not know these things, i do not wish to force myself to believe an answer based on that faith thing. I knwo many people who were raised religious and believe everything they were taught, or raised athiest and same deal. Anyone had something pushed on you and didn't fall for it?
Yes.

I believe that ALL organized religions primarily exist to supply an easy living for the clergy within them.

That all organized religions are little more than thousands of years long, self-sustaining, con games.

That religions themselves invent their Gods, rather than the reverse as they would have you believe, as a completely circular, unprovable justification for their own existence.

All Clergy are little more than con artists.

And yes, they cram it down the throats of the innocent young because it was crammed down their throats, or worse they know what they are cramming is a crock of guano but cram it anyway for their own personal benefit.

Mankind could do a lot worse by putting the concept of "God" where it belongs, with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and GROW UP.

There would be a lot less blood and treasure wasted on religion if we did.

Remember. 9/11/01 happened over differing opinions about religions.

Last edited by Norske; 08-23-2011 at 14:57..
Norske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 13:03   #3
AA#5

Not exactly "pushed" on me, but whenever I was exposed to it as a child, I always thought, "What a bunch of BS." And it still is.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 13:17   #4
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

It was pushed on me, i hate how religious people try to use hit them while there yound tactics and try to force a belief down your throat but they can do it with a clear concience since they believe they are saving you which is downright scary.
Old 08-23-2011, 13:24   #5
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

I always viewed the Bible as a non-literal set of guidelines to live ones life by, if they so needed such guidance. Some people are lucky enough to have a strong enough internal sense of right and wrong that they do not need it. This is usually due to a good upbringing. I don't know what will happen when I die, but I don't let that stop me from trying to live the best life I can and do good to others. If I'm "rewarded" with something, so be it, living a good life will be my greatest reward and that is all I want.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 21:51   #6
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

I wouldn't say "resisted", but I would say that I overcame religion.

I was raised Christian, but fairly skeptical by my mid-teens. I then ignored the issue for the next decade+, then when I began looking into around age 30 I quickly came to the conclusion that the claims were without merit and that religions were manmade.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 22:31   #7
Syclone538

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I was raised Christian, but fairly skeptical by my mid-teens.
+1

I was thinking about this a while ago, and started this thread.
How old were you when your beliefs changed?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349297

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 22:38   #8
juggy4711
Nimrod Son

Most religions, like most man made institutions, are corrupt. However it is possible to be a believer and not be religious, to be spiritual rather than dogmatic. Religion can be good for some people yet I would be wary of any religion that seeks to actively convert others.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09   #9
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I had a time in my life where I essentially left religion. I lost interest in church, lost interest in spiritual things. My wife of the same religious background noticed it in me. The best thing she did for me was pray about it. God was still working, and eventually I came around. So, I was raised in a religion, got frustrated, essentially turned my back on it for a few years, and then found I was okay with it again.

God transforms the heart. My wife couldn't on her own. I couldn't, and for awhile didn't even want to. "Religion" doesn't save you, what it does do is put you in with a body of believers who strenghten each other. Jesus is the only way to salvation, pure and simple.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38   #10
eracer
Where's my EBT?

I was a pretty smart kid, and saw right through the catholic ritual

'Stand, sit, kneel, stand, sit, kneel, chant, pray, gesticulate, stand, sit, kneel.' You're kidding, right?

Yet, the churches (Unity) that reduce the ritual and focus on the nature of happiness seem even less able to connect to the mystery. Hug your neighbor, beat your kids...it all seems so pointless.

God is within, not without.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 08-24-2011 at 04:39..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59   #11
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

I was raised Catholic, sent to Catholic school, was an altar boy, etc. I finally figured out how to think for myself and not follow a guilt based religion that threatens me with lakes of fire and eternal damnation. I am a thankful and appreciative person who respects mother nature, am raising a healthy happy family and am a good person, I believe. I don't need organized groups of guilt shysters to make me feel as though I am doing the right thing. So yes, I have given organized religion the proverbial Heisman. I love to fly fish, the river is my church.

Last edited by GreenDrake; 08-25-2011 at 05:09..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I would think it a good thing to resist religion. Religion isn't what it's all about, it's all about relationship. Do you know Jesus?? Does Jesus know you??
Old 09-02-2011, 18:32   #13
Ramjet38
SONS OF LIBERTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I would think it a good thing to resist religion. Religion isn't what it's all about, it's all about relationship. Do you know Jesus?? Does Jesus know you??
very good, and very true. Just about anything man has laid his hands on he has totally screwed it up...religion being one of them, and science being the other.

Last edited by Ramjet38; 09-02-2011 at 18:34..
Ramjet38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 18:48   #14
kjm1016

To the OP:
I was an enthusiastic participant in the Catholic church as a boy. I was an altar boy. I participated and I felt part of a greater whole. By my late teens I had lost much of this. I had seemingly endless arguments about my 'disagreements' over Church doctrine. I recall sitting in the back of the Church during Mass, feeling bored and left out. In retrospect, that was the real key. No longer a participant, I got bored and drifted away to other things. (I discovered the opposite sex and enlisted in the Army.) In due course I made a personal peace with the Church, but have never felt the need to go back. Some might say I traded spiritual beliefs for sex and a fascination with weapons. Maybe, but it works for me.

Lastly, if the OP would proof read your posts before we see them, you would come off better. Your opinions have some validity, but your lack of proper spelling, punctiation, etc. is getting in the way.

"It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it."
R.E. Lee at Fredericksburg
kjm1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 22:02   #15
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Si'.

Raised Catholic till sixth grade when my dad said enuff, we are going to my church. It was there I learned about having a relationship with Jesus. In my mid 20's a bad accident made me extremely bitter and I swore off Jesus for six months and I was miserable. He didn't swear off me though. I do go and try to be a fisher of men without being obnoxious but it seems like a lot here like religion better.

If I have a "religion", I'd say mine is cycle riding.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31   #16
muscogee

I'm a recovering Christian. The addiction is heard to break. I really wanted to believe and fell back into my old patterns a few times until I realized that way of life caused nothing but misery for me and those I loved.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 13:29   #17
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm1016 View Post
Some might say I traded spiritual beliefs for sex and a fascination with weapons.
You say that as if that's a bad thing...

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52   #18
nmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post

Mankind could do a lot worse by putting the concept of "God" where it belongs, with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and GROW UP.

There would be a lot less blood and treasure wasted on religion if we did.

Remember. 9/11/01 happened over differing opinions about religions.
The other side of that coin is scary as well. I have no religion and most people think I'm a good, "moral" person (as far as anyone can really know what others think of them). There are MANY, MANY people who claim that there are no morals without religion. If those people didn't have religion, yikes.

ETA: There's no way to know how many, but I'd bet there are lots of people who would do bad things without the fear of divine punishment.

Last edited by nmk; 09-04-2011 at 10:53..
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:13   #19
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
The other side of that coin is scary as well. I have no religion and most people think I'm a good, "moral" person (as far as anyone can really know what others think of them). There are MANY, MANY people who claim that there are no morals without religion. If those people didn't have religion, yikes..
that's always been a bit of a mystery to me as well. Why is it that such so called "moral" people can't figure out for themselves that killing someone, raping their sister is wrong, without it being pointed out to them.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 19:46   #20
NMPOPS

Send a message via ICQ to NMPOPS
I was born and raised a Lutheran. Drifted away and tried other churches, including Morman and now find myself to be an agnostic. Religions are based on a belief system that cannot be proven. At least we have hard evidence that dinosaurs existed! There is more proof that aliens have visited us than there is that any religion is anything more than mass histeria.