Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2011, 16:10   #1
MinervaDoe

Do Glocks benefit from longer bullets?

I'm just reflecting on a conversation I once had with a fellow shooter. He felt that since Glocks have a high rate of twist in their barrel, that they benefit from firing bullets that are longer. Do you guys think there is any truth to this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 22:24   #2
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Glocks have a pretty standard rate of twist for the given cartridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 22:31   #3
Police10-42

longer bullet= more drag, you would have to use a lighter load to keep pressure down which would have a lower fps.
Old 08-23-2011, 23:29   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I'm just reflecting on a conversation I once had with a fellow shooter. He felt that since Glocks have a high rate of twist in their barrel, that they benefit from firing bullets that are longer. Do you guys think there is any truth to this?
Are you talking longer bullets as in OAL or longer bullet as in the projectile only?
&
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 23:43   #5
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Are you talking longer bullets as in OAL or longer bullet as in the projectile only?
Discussing twist rate implies longer/heavier bullets. At least that is how I read it.
Quote:
longer bullet= more drag, you would have to use a lighter load to keep pressure down which would have a lower fps.
Sure, but again, at handgun vel, you aren't getting any advantage in using long/heavy for caliber bullets going slow, unless you are trying to make low recoiling rounds that still have good accuracy.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:09   #6
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
Glocks have a pretty standard rate of twist for the given cartridge.
So, Glocks actually have a fairly standard rate of twist?
I guess I'm operating with some false information. That's why I asked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Discussing twist rate implies longer/heavier bullets. At least that is how I read it.
Probably just longer & heavier. But, on the theoretical side, I believe that the pure copper bullets are much longer then lead based bullets of the same weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Sure, but again, at handgun vel, you aren't getting any advantage in using long/heavy for caliber bullets going slow, unless you are trying to make low recoiling rounds that still have good accuracy.
Are the heavier bullets lower recoiling simply because you use less powder?

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 08-24-2011 at 08:11..
Old 08-24-2011, 08:54   #7
fredj338

Quote:

Probably just longer & heavier. But, on the theoretical side, I believe that the pure copper bullets are much longer then lead based bullets of the same weight.

Are the heavier bullets lower recoiling simply because you use less powder?
True, lighter wt copper bullets will always be longer than lead core bullets of sim wt.
The lower recoil thing is a matter of getting the heavier bullet to a low enough vel. The heavier bullet gives enough mass to function the slide & as long as vel is kept to that min, recoil is less. A lighter bullet needs higher vel to achieve the same inertia for the slide. At equal vel, the heavier bullet always has more recoil than the lighter bullet. Can't mess with physics.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 08-24-2011 at 08:55..
Old 08-24-2011, 11:08   #8
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Quote:
Yes, like the .45 ACP is an industry standard 1 in 16 inch twist, I think that's the same for the .40 and 10mm, the 9mm might be 1 in 18 inch twist. A factory barrel is going to be able to handle the spectrum of standard bullet lengths (read: weights). So a Glock .45 ACP will have sufficient rate of twist to accurately shoot bullets from 165gr to 230gr, as that's the most common range of factory ammunition.

freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37   #9
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I believe Glocks are more accurate with bullets that have a longer bearing surface due to the rifling type it has.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18   #10
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I believe Glocks are more accurate with bullets that have a longer bearing surface due to the rifling type it has.
Okay, so you've also heard that Glocks are more accurate with longer bullets, and you attribute this to the Polygonal rifling.
Interesting.
Thanks for the input.
My quest for knowledge continues, and I have to wonder how the Polygonal rifling benefits from the longer bearing surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

Old 08-24-2011, 12:35   #11
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
I always heard glocks were not accurate because they were made of plastic - it didn't matter what bullet was used.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 08-24-2011 at 12:36..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 13:13   #12
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I always heard glocks were not accurate because they were made of plastic - it didn't matter what bullet was used.
This is correct. I read it in multiple places.

(I wrote it down and then I read it, but I believe everything I read).
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 13:24   #13
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

The longer bullets usually mean more weight but mine seem to be more accurate with longer bearing surface area bullets or heavier however you wish to state it. This experience comes from thousands of reloaded rounds. This is in 40 S&W and 10mm.
Others may have different experiences.
Old 08-24-2011, 14:13   #14
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
Yeah but you can take them through a metal detector without setting it off.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 14:34   #15
MinervaDoe

Quote:
The longer bullets usually mean more weight but mine seem to be more accurate with longer bearing surface area bullets or heavier however you wish to state it. This experience comes from thousands of reloaded rounds. This is in 40 S&W and 10mm.
Others may have different experiences.
I believe that there is something to it. Last year, I loaded up 2,000 rounds of 147 grain 9mm and these bullets definitely grouped nearly two inches higher. So, this week, I'm going to see how some heavier Raniers behave in my 10mm with about .5 grain less powder than my 155 grains. i.e. with both weight bullets, I am coaxing the slowest rounds that I can get to cycle the slide.
If it kicks less, that will be a bonus.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 08-24-2011 at 14:35..
Old 08-24-2011, 18:06   #16
fredj338

Quote:
I think this is generally true of all bullets/barrels if the twist is proper. A longer bullet is just going to stabalize better than a shorter bullet. Again, for most shooters @ most handgun distance, you just won't see the diff.