Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2011, 19:14   #1
sum-dum-guy

UN Small arms resolution

OK, I am sure this has come up alreadys, but since I just got a letter in the mail today from Rand Pauls office, I was wondering if anyone knows the latest status of this stuff.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index....ll-arms-treaty

http://nationalgunrights.org/blog/?p=359

Sound like scary stuff. Getting the letter today got me worried again.
Old 08-15-2011, 19:35   #2
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

That's a pretty old story. Some of the comments are from last year. I am curious though how that's all going. One thing is for sure though, any group of people that feel like coming up the stairs to my apartment to take my property are going to find out just how quickly I can empty my 20 round drum on my Saiga 12.

Old 08-15-2011, 19:42   #3
sum-dum-guy

I know this thing comes up all the time and I have always dismissed it.

I assumed this would just die and go away but getting the letter today got me concerned.

However, it could just be an attempt to drum up the fear factor before the elections again.

Worldwide craziness probably just had me on edge
Old 08-15-2011, 22:24   #4
as400guy1

I thought that I read somewhere that Congress as a whole would oppose it.
as400guy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 22:28   #5
Cmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by as400guy1 View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that Congress as a whole would oppose it.
Whew! Now I feel a whole lot better.
Old 08-15-2011, 23:35   #6
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmacc View Post
Whew! Now I feel a whole lot better.
Well, you should. Considering congress would need to approve such a treaty, having virtually the entire congress opposing it means that we are pretty safe.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33   #7
ChinaCave

Does anyone have a link to an actual draft of this bill / proposal? I just got an e-mail from the NRA about the same deal, but I like to read stuff before supporting or opposing it, like, y'know, how folks in congress should read the bills they pass?

None of the outfits urging me to oppose this offer it up for a read.....

"I'm a shoulder thing that goes up."
ChinaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56   #8
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCave View Post
Does anyone have a link to an actual draft of this bill / proposal? I just got an e-mail from the NRA about the same deal, but I like to read stuff before supporting or opposing it, like, y'know, how folks in congress should read the bills they pass?

None of the outfits urging me to oppose this offer it up for a read.....
http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/

There is no treaty but the US voted to schedule a conference in 2012 to draft one indicating at least tacit support for the treaty. Make no mistake, Obama and Hillary want to end private ownership of guns in the United States. Up to this point they have been afraid of the voters wrath. Perhaps they hope if they can point to a UN treaty requiring disarmament they will have a chance of passing it.

Personally I'd like to see this treaty used by conservatives as a wedge to drive the US out of the UN. Not likely I know but I can dream.

Last edited by MtBaldy; 08-16-2011 at 13:51.. Reason: typo
MtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 13:10   #9
ChinaCave

Thanks.

Really appreciate it.

"I'm a shoulder thing that goes up."
ChinaCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 13:26   #10
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

IIRC, It only has to receive a 2/3 vote from the Senate to be ratified. Currently, it doesn't have the votes. Early last year, there was the thought they could muster 61 votes out of the Senate, but not now. Many Dems reject it now.

It was rumored when this first came out, which I didn't validate, that the POTUS could sign it by EO during a Senate reccess, then the Senate would have to vote to repeal it; if nothing took place, I believe the treaty would not be ratified. If any one has more, please add. Thx!

The NRA Executive VP spoke against it this summer at the UN.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie

Last edited by redbaron007; 08-16-2011 at 13:28..
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 13:26   #11
lanternlad
Mythmatician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
http://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/ArmsTradeTreaty/

There is no treaty but the US voted to schedule a conference in 2012 to draft one indicating at least tacit support for the treaty. Make no mistake, Obama and Hillary want to end private ownership of guns in the United States. Up to this point they have been afraid of the voters wrath. Perhaps they hope it they can point to a UN treaty requiring disarmament they will have a chance of passing it.

Personally I'd like to see this treaty used by conservatives as a wedge to drive the US out of the UN. Not likely I know but I can dream.
Google Reid v Covert. The Constitution outranks any treaty. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

“This Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert
Old 08-16-2011, 13:59   #12
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternlad View Post
Google Reid v Covert. The Constitution outranks any treaty. Nothing to worry about, IMO.

“This Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reid_v._Covert
Yeah, well, I do worry. All it would take is one far left judge replacing one conservative one and we could "well regulated militia" as meaning only National Guard troops on maneuvers are allowed to have guns. Give Obama a second term and that could happen. Looking at what the Republicans have come up with so far I think a second Obama term is pretty likely.

I mean look up the definition of "infringe" and tell me our right to own and carry guns is not drastically infringed now, even in most gun friendly states. Vermont is about the only state that seems to get the "infringed" part of the 2nd Amendment today.
Old 08-16-2011, 23:07   #13
Turk

Wow, dejavu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Hopefully I have placed this thread in the proper forum. Also, I looked around the forums and did not see any discussion of this issue.

Today I received an e-mail from the NRA. They are asking for support and help with their efforts to stop our governments activities and involvement with the U.N.'s efforts to disarm the population of member countrys, especially the USA. Following is a short excerpt from the e-mail;

"What you and I are facing is a United Nations that has set its sights on global disarmament. Their goal is to disarm citizens worldwide, including you and me.

These international gun banners want every gun to be under U.N. and government control. This includes your rifle, your shotgun and your pistol. The bottom line is this: the U.N. treaty is not only an attack on the Second Amendment, it's an attack on our freedoms.

If you don't want to end up defenseless like the people of New Orleans in 2005 or the people of Great Britain today, then we need to fight this treaty now."

I am posting this to help inform as many people as I can about this and incite opinionated conversation. I am also trying to understand if this is a well known issue or not. Thanks to all!
Old 08-25-2011, 16:40   #14
TexasFats
NRA, TSRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Well, you should. Considering congress would need to approve such a treaty, having virtually the entire congress opposing it means that we are pretty safe.
Actually, only the Senate must ratify treaties. The House of Representatives has nothing to do with the process. Reminder: The Democrats have a majority in the Senate. Also, don't put anything past the Obama Administration. If they think that they can get away with it, they will try to do it.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
TexasFats is offline   Reply With Quote